Did Mayweather duck an Oscar rematch?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Henry Hank, Apr 18, 2020.

Did Floyd duck Oscar?

This poll will close on Jun 8, 2102 at 8:12 AM.
  1. Hell Yeah

2. Hell No

3. Who the **** knows

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Henry Hank

Henry Hank Mexicans Run Houston Full Member

Aug 30, 2019
    The rematch was scheduled for 20 september of 2008 everything was set after Oscar had a tune up win against Forbes but Floyd in june of 2008 decided to retire/take a break from the sport instead of taking on Oscar again and get a career high payday.

Do you fellas think this counts as duck? Oscar gave Floyd hell in the first fight regardless of what his fanboys say and if it wasnt for the bizarre choice of Oscar to abandon the jab he probably would have won that fight ( and no fanboys it wasnt floyd that took away Oscars jab it oscar that stopped throwing).

So was it a duck? Was floyd not only ducking Oscar but the other top welters at the time?

Vote and discuss.

Btw before you guys start give me a second to go outside and get some popcorn.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  2. kriszhao

kriszhao Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Yes he did duck the rematch but did it as a F.U. to Delehoya not because he was scared of him.

3. MVC!

MVC! The Best Ever Full Member

Nov 5, 2013
    NO!!!

He had a body injury that kept him out for a year. It's well documented.

4. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    2.4 million PPVs. Rematch would have done more. Clear duck.

5. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Oscar had a rematch clause. It was one of those deals like Joshua has where even if Joshua loses, he makes the most money for the rematch. The purse split in the first fight was like 66-33 in Oscar's favor.

After beating Hatton, Floyd didn't want to take the short end in a rematch with Oscar. So, yes, he sat out until the contract was void.

Then he came back. He offered a rematch to Oscar when he returned, where Floyd would make more, but Oscar turned him down (he'd already lost to Pac and retired).

That's why Oscar always held a grudge against Mayweather after that. Oscar wanted that big payday before he called it a career. A 66 percent cut of a Mayweather PPV can buy a lot of nylons. (Sorry. That was mean.)

Smoochie, NoNeck, macademics and 5 others like this.
  6. Scar

Scar VIP Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    It's always refreshing to see an idiot that's new to Boxing asking questions as if he knows it all. Mayweather was publicly ravished back then for even considering a rematch with Oscar. That inevitably got the fight completely erased.

Pimp C likes this.
  7. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Floyd ducked just about everybody. He ducked Baldomir rematch too.

8. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Yeah, Floyd ducked the rematch with Oscar the same as Fury ducked a rematch with Klitschko. Both guys knew that they were lucky to get the win the first time and things would likely go very differently in a rematch, which they had already agreed to. They are both just underhanded people and not men of their word. Floyd ducked Pac and Margarito around that time too. That was his last risky fight and he decided to play it safe from there on.

Pakkuman and Rilz like this.
  9. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Didn't realize there was a rematch clause but it makes sense now that I think about it. Back then details like rematch clauses weren't really talked about like they are now. But Mayweather's 2-year retirement after beating Hatton certainly makes a lot more sense now.

Did Mayweather's next fight after Hatton have to be a rematch with De La Hoya or something? Is that why he retired, so he wouldn't have to fight DLH again?

10. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Floyd's lucky Oscar ducked the rematch because Oscar was still rusty from the inactivity what with him only having fought once in almost three years and not at all in a whole one going into their fight. He would've been ten times sharper for the rematch after those 12 rounds of shaking off the rust he fought against Floyd and we all know he would've only needed to be one time sharper to secure the win given how close his drug-ravaged inactive ghost pushed him in the first fight. But Oscar didn't want it for whatever reason and he pulled a quack quack.

11. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    ROFLMAO The only bodily injury that coward had was that his testes had shrunk to acorn size He was afraid of Antonio Margarito & Oscar

Bofo24 and titanic like this.
  12. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    But he beat the ‘Big Show’

George Crowcroft and alangjk like this.
  13. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    So this is actually one of the only fights I do think Mayweather avoided. To me, it seemed like an obvious duck.

One of the biggest fights in boxing history, largest grossing fight in history, ends in controversy, and you are going to retire instead of doing the rematch?

Eh... ya I admit I think this was a duck.

14. titanic

titanic Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Yes and he Ducked Pacman rematch too

15. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    No IVs allowed in the rematch was why.