Did Mayweather duck an Oscar rematch?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Henry Hank, Apr 18, 2020.

Did Floyd duck Oscar?

This poll will close on Jun 8, 2102 at 8:12 AM.
  1. Hell Yeah

2. Hell No

3. Who the **** knows

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. titanic

titanic Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Same reason with PEDsQuez

2. thanosone

thanosone Love Your Brother Man Full Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Mayweather ducked all the big challenges.
    Lost to Castillo and Maidana. Had a draw with a past it, part time boxer in Oscar. Waited for Manny to die before fighting him. Yet, his deluded fans hang on to his balls like crazy. I dont get it.

Pakkuman and titanic like this.
  3. 88Chris05

88Chris05 Active Member Full Member

Aug 20, 2013
    What exactly did Mayweather have to fear when it came to De la Hoya in 2008? Nothing as far as I can see. When their rematch was tentatively announced for September 2008, my memory is that most boxing fans were pretty unexcited by it and saw it as little more than a cash grab for both men. Nobody was really interested in seeing the fight itself and there was a feeling that it would only go one way. Cotto was the guy everyone wanted Mayweather to fight that year, at least before Margarito got hold of him in the summer.

Mayweather beat De la Hoya clearly enough already in 2007. It was competitive, but not especially close. The gulf in class really became clear after about eight rounds and Mayweather always looked as if he had another gear he could slip into if he absolutely needed it, in my opinion. De la Hoya was already 34 by then and was fighting once a year. He looked poor in his comeback in May 2008 against Forbes and was another year older. If Mayweather was really considering the rematch with Oscar for September, he must have been licking his lips at how straightforward it would have been, and would have fancied his chances of stopping De la Hoya, just as Pacquiao did later that year.

I'm glad the rematch never happened, would have been a waste of time.

4. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    No I think Floyd did take away his jab. As both Floyd and his trainer Uncle Roger Mayweather notes before the fight the one thing we know about Oscar is that he does tire and he can be beaten. Floyd knew Oscar did not have the gas tank. Floyd decided to retire after the fight but would have had the rematch but the truth is they could not agree the economic terms for a rematch especially as Floyd was now the A side insisting on more of the economic pie.

Pimp C likes this.
  5. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Acorns are pretty big actually.

6. Henry Hank

Henry Hank Mexicans Run Houston Full Member

Aug 30, 2019
    :icon_popcorn:

7. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Yes.

They both had one interim fight. Floyd fought Hatton. Oscar fought Forbes. They were supposed to rematch. Floyd didn't want to take a lesser amount than Oscar so he retired. Then Oscar fought Pac and lost. And he retired. Then Floyd came back. It was all about money, of course, and Floyd wasn't going to take the lesser amount against anyone ever again.

Pimp C likes this.
  8. RacingBeat

RacingBeat Casual lives matter Full Member

Sep 14, 2013
    This sounds right to me

9. divac

divac VIP Member Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    From what I remember, Mayweather got paid 12 million guarantee and Delahoya's take was exponentially higher than that.

No follow me...…...Mayweather beat Delahoya and his thinking for a rematch was, "Parity."
    We all know Delahoya's ego wasn't going to allow that.

There wasn't a Delahoya-Mayweather rematch for the same damn reason there was never a Delahoya-Trinidad rematch, Delahoya's greed!

10. divac

divac VIP Member Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Yup, only Floyd stayed retired until the coast was clear of Antonio Margarito and Paul Williams. First fight back was against a lightweight moving up two weight divisions, and spent the rest of his career cherry picking, talking up a Pacquiao fight but never delivering until the fight was well overcooked and meaningless.

Loudon, Somali Sanil and C.J. like this.
  11. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    If you really believe that my friend I feel very sorry for you lol

12. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Two birds one stone oscar didn't want to pay and he didn't want more

13. David B

David B Nazi Russia lies. This is the only truth. Full Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Don’t blame Floyd one bit for sitting out.
    He clearly won the fight but only got a SD against the cash cow .

Smoochie and Pimp C like this.
  14. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I could be wrong here but I'm sure Floyd had to rematch De La Hoya within 1 year (whereby he retired) and then he announced his comeback the following day after the 1 year was up lol

15. klion22

klion22 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 4, 2007
    I say no. The easier thing would've been to give Oscar the rematch, make a ton of $$$ and get another boring W but I think PBF was banking on himself to do bigger and better things going forward. And that's just what he did.

Smoochie likes this.