Did Shavers really hit THAT hard?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Shake

Shake Boxing Addict Full Member

May 4, 2007
    I find young Foreman to be a surprisingly accurate puncher. I personally think he just timed well. It a took a while for them to get there, but he was usually pretty spot-on, especially if he could manhandle.

Shavers, judging by the amount of times he got his man in trouble and couldn't finish, simply has less coordination in my view.

2. Vantage_West

Vantage_West ヒップホップ·プロデューサー Full Member

Jul 11, 2006
    i agree but georges advantages were having by far more dominating than shavers an iron jaw (which helped on getting inside and really letting loose) long reach to corner men with is jab and his size he wa s agiant ali was a big man to. but george stood tall infornt of hism an and just dropped bombs like nobodies business.

migh thave impressive power but both are a differene type of puncher

3. Zakman

Zakman ESB's Chinchecker Full Member

Apr 16, 2005
    This pretty much tells it all about Shavers. He hit hard - very hard - and probably the hardest of all time. But that's basically all he did. Each one of the guys mentioned is a better "all around" puncher even if they didn't hit as hard with one shot, because each one of them had some other element to their game.

cross_trainer likes this.
  4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Foreman's chin also allowed him to stay in shootouts when Earnie would have already been stopped. Foreman was a better fighter period.

5. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    This is your worst post ever.

6. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006
    I think he did, Shavers power in the raw sense of the term was chilling. In terms of concussive power I'd rate him amongst the Top 3 hard-hitting HW's, for sure.

What I will say is that likes of Louis, Tyson, Liston and Lewis possessed very good raw power certainly not way behind what Shavers had. It's just these guys, could excute a punch better, were superior techicians and combined all the elements of punching (speed, body movement, leverage) together far more completely. :good

7. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    That's it? (I was expecting a firestorm of indignation, and this is all my inflammatory rhetoric can instigate? Bummer.:huh) If you think this is my worst post ever, you ought to check the archives. I've produced some real stinkers during my brief tawdry foray into ESB.

8. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Shavers hurt Ali probably more than anyone else. He had to be carried back to his dressing room after the fight, according to report by Eddie Cool of Boxing News.

9. groove

groove Well-Known Member Full Member

May 16, 2006
    Ali took a lot of hard rights from Shavers in that fight. Signs of age - To slow to react or get out of the way. He nearly had Shavers at the end of the 15th. Remarkable considering the bad shape he was in at the start of that round. He gave everything so i'm not surprised he was carried back to the dressing room.

10. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Point is, that's the only time Ali didn't leave the ring on his own two feet as far as I know.

Ali was tough. So that's saying a lot.

11. AnthonyJ74

AnthonyJ74 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Why couldn't Shavers drop Ali? Joe Frazier and Henry Cooper both put Ali down.

12. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Is it me, or when Shavers knocked the **** out of Ellis wasn't he holding his head with his left while punching with his right?

13. john garfield

john garfield Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Very astute of you, S. I was at ringside, and thought that too.

14. The Kurgan

The Kurgan Boxing Junkie banned

Nov 16, 2004
    I wouldn't say that Moorer was significantly more durable than Ken Norton. I'd say he was more chinny than Norton, but his superior skill made up for that. I wouldn't overestimate the chin of Ron Lyle: an old Ali had him short-circuited with one punch.

Lyle highlights another point: Foreman managed to club Lyle down over a lot of rounds, but Shavers had Lyle nearly out cold with a single left hook. I think that, while Foreman was a much better finisher than Shavers, Shavers had much more proven one-punch power, which is really my point.

Anyway, I don't think world class opposition is that suitable a way to judge raw power. After all, being a world class boxer (ie. top 5) is all about overcoming raw power, not enduring it. That's why there has never been a long-reigning heavyweight champion who had power but relatively little skill. When such boxers have become champions (Baer, Foreman, Briggs) they've not been champions for long.

15. KTFO

KTFO Guest

Yes.