Did Spinks hurt or help Ali's legacy?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by MoneyMay1, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    It was a case of certain fighters that seemed to give him harder or should I say more awkward fights.
    But, more or less he always found a way to win.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Norton would have definitely won a 4th fight.
    He won the 3rd one too as far as I'm concerned.

3. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    How Spinks was chosen for a title shot is interesting itself. Consider all the other contenders around at the time. Or possible rematches with the 3 recent close calls for the Ali camp---Norton or Young or Shavers.

We got the Evangelista fight though. Then Spinks. And Leon came out of a 10 round draw with drum roll please.............Scott Ledoux.

So a draw with Ledoux gets you a title shot.

4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I don't think it does a lot of anything either way. He lost to him but avenged, Leon was pretty average tho quite energetic and at the end of the day Ali was a shell.

5. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I've always considered Muhammad's legacy done and dusted after he won the title for the second time by beating George Foreman in Zaire. This was solidified after the third bout with Joe Frazier. Anything following that,in my opinion,had no bearing whatsoever on his standing.

6. Stevie G

Jul 17, 2009
    I agree,Fergy. Muhammad's decline post Manila accelerated alarmingly.

Richard M Murrieta and Fergy like this.
  7. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Definitely Stevie.
    He took on coopman, which was basically a walk in the park.
    Jimmy Young fight was terrible, could have lost that one if Young didn't fight so negative.
    Dunn, say no more. Lol
    Norton. So lucky to win that.
    Evangelista even managed to go the distance.
    Shavers had him hurt and surprised a lot of people. A Prime Ali for me stops Shavers in a one sided affair.
    Then Leon, who struck gold being the guy who finally beat "The Greatest ''

Stevie G likes this.
  8. KidGalahad

KidGalahad Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2008
    "third time lucky".

legacywise the spinks win added another "first" to ali´s record.
    becoming the first 3 time world heavyweight champion was the culmination of his long and succesful career and so it entered the history books. the win was historical and nothing better could have happened to muhammad towards the end of his glorious profession.
    not healthwise - of course - as we know now.
    but legacywise.

if i remember right, floy patterson was the first (heavyweight) champion who broke the unwritten boxing rule "they never come back" (correct me, if i´m wrong).
    ali becoming the first 3 time champ has a mystical and magical quality, which matches his legendary status at the top.

"all good things come in three".

9. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I’d say “ hurt”. Winning the title for the third time wasn’t worth picking up that kinda loss.

10. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    It was a fiasco, Ken Norton was Ali's mandatory challenger going into 1978. The Spinks fight was supposed to be a tune up, Ali should have either fought Norton again or retired. So in my opinion it did hurt his legacy.

11. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The first fight was premediated IMO. He scrapped by Norton JUST while he was shot, now with all kinds of new damage he wanted to go out as the only man so far to reclaim the title 3 times and with a winning record against Kenny. Spinks made for a good fairy-tale ending Ali was a lot but he never lacked showmanship.

12. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    The Spinks loss did not hurt Alis legacy even at the time, and most definitely not after he beat Spinks in return bout.

Alis legacy was indelibly imprinted in annals of boxing history long while before the Spinks bout.

As a wet behind the ears teen fresh out basic recruit training, the image of Spinks being held aloft by his cornermen with his arms raised in victory over Ali, was to me at the time the epitome of a real life Rocky scenario.

Yes Ali entered record books as 3 time champ, but those last few fights sure did not do Ali any favours regarding his neurological issues.

13. Stevie G

Jul 17, 2009
    Too right,Fergy. Even the Ali of 1974 would have beaten Earnie convincingly.

Richard M Murrieta and Fergy like this.
  14. Lenny

Lenny Member Full Member

May 23, 2021
    He was ripe for the taking.......Spinks simply outhustled Ali. Leon was motivated and hungry. Ali was a shell. He was lucky to escape Norton in 76. Another fight would have been ugly. I have never seen the Shavers fight. Will watch it tonight. Anyways----the rematch with Leon showed some of the brilliance in Ali. Does anyone remember the article in a magazine----"Did Ali lose on purpose?"

15. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Helped him, for sure. Spinks made Ali become a three times champion.

The same did Ruiz with Joshua and Wilder with Fury, even if they got 2 times WC.