Did the 12 round limit ruin the heavyweights?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by la-califa, Jul 4, 2007.

1. la-califa

la-califa Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Did the 12 round limit ruin the Heavyweight Division?

2. la-califa

la-califa Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Before the rounds were reduced to twelve. overweight fighters were for the most part rare. Leroy Jones or Mathis. Since then a rash of overweight fighters have been in the division as never before in the history of Heavyweight boxing.

3. badger6

badger6 Ask your wife !!! Full Member

May 6, 2007
    It ruined boxing as a whole. It just lets chumps like mayweather cruise to decision wins. The spirit of boxing is to win by stopping opponent, not a crooked decision by an ignorant judge !!!

4. igotJUIC3

igotJUIC3 Boxing Junkie banned

Jun 28, 2007
    it saved lives...15 round fights caused way too much damage with fighters because they no longer were able to protect themselves properly and would take beatings...even fighters who had already well lost the fight would only be there for the surprise KO but even then both fighters took way too much punishment.

5. Heavyrighthand

Heavyrighthand Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    15 round fights sure were more entertaining to watch, as well as being more of a gruelling test of stamina and condition, much more than 12 rounds. Obivously, fewer fights went the distance when fighters had to fight an additional 3 rounds, while exhausted. You had fewer decision endings, which was much better than relying on judge's opinions so much, as we do now.

It was better for the fans and the excitement of the sport, certainly. I wish they'd bring back 15 rounders, but they never will in these safety first times.

6. badger6

May 6, 2007
    Why don't we go to 6 round fights to save some more lives ??? These guys know the risks before going into the ring. Everything has risk !!!

7. DanePugilist

DanePugilist God vs God - Death Angel Full Member

Oct 14, 2006
    No they actually saved the viewer from 10 mins of boredom.

8. igotJUIC3

igotJUIC3 Boxing Junkie banned

Jun 28, 2007
    WOW.......:patsch

9. badger6

May 6, 2007
    Wow what ???

10. Mohak

Mohak RIP Smokin' Joe Full Member

Nov 6, 2005
    I don't know if it did save lives, fighters still come in drained or pile on weight on fight night and have an unfair advantage. We all can see the bad side of going down to 12 but I don't know if it really has saved lives.

11. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    I think more damage has come from advance weigh-in times as well as fighters draining themselves too much to make the lowest possible class than from 15 round fights.

If boxing wanted to get safer, bring back same day weigh-ins and elminate some weight classes. It'd never happen, but that would have a bigger effect (combined with most refs' attitudes about stopping fights much sooner than the old days) on saving fighters' lives.

12. C Money

C Money Paul McCloskey Full Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Going from 15 to 12 was done in the name of saving lives, which came about after Ray Mancini killed duk-Koo kim. It would be interesting to see if the statistics since the change, would support the reasoning. IMO, it was done more for television formatting, so they could squeeze more commercials into a one hour time slot.

Personally, I prefer 15. They should have went to 13 at least and eliminated an even number of rounds. Boxing is a dangerous game and death can happen long before 12 or 15, and elminating THE CHAMPIONSHIP ROUNDS hasnt done the sport any favors as far as I'm concerned.

13. Silverfox

Silverfox Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Lighter gloves should be used. This would result in a lot less accumulated damage. One or two power shots would disable, or knock the guy out.

15 rounds was a far better test of stamina & strategy.

14. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Yes, and the entire sport of boxing.

15. JC2006

JC2006 Active Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    It would be nice to see title fights go 13 rounds these days at least...