Did the knock down look worse than it was?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by rski, Dec 7, 2018.

1. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    When Fury went down in the 12th it looked very dramatic with those two big punches landing but I am wondering how badly he was actually hurt when he was on his back? I guess he himself didn't really know at first but maybe after raising his head that first time he realised he wasn't actually out cold and could get up.

It sounds a bit silly but he kind of rode the second punch a little, he took the impact but not at its fullest? Also when he was still like that maybe it was more about him assessing how bad he was hurt that actually being out for a few seconds. Its not like he is used to getting flattened like that so maybe it was more shock.

I'm just trying to make sense of how he got up like that and was able to finish the round strong and all I can think is it did looked worse than it was, a big man like that going down is always going to look spectacular?

Cecil, Work the body and S.K like this.
  2. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Quite possible but we'll never know.

rski and Northadox like this.
  3. Ilesey

Ilesey ~ Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    It wasn't.

Fury just displayed tremendous powers of recuperation and the determination and will to keep going.

rski and impacted like this.
  4. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Although it was a big k.d I do think it has been overestimated how much he was out. He landed with his knee bent which means he wasn't out cold as he hit the floor. I think there was a few seconds of shock, like u say before he got up. It was a big k.d but not quite in the way that has been getting talked about. Imo

Holler, rski and S.K like this.
  5. impacted

impacted Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 6, 2011
    It's impossible to overestimate how impressive Fury getting up was. He was already on the way down from the right hand as Wilder uncorked an absolute smash of a left hook on him. Wilder was yelling ''IT'S OVER!!'' and doing a celebratory dance. Showtime had already called it a Wilder KO win. Then Tyson Fury turned into The Undertaker. It's the most impressive recovery I've ever seen. Even better than Larry Holmes rising against Earnie Shavers.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Accurate, rski, im sparticus and 2 others like this.
  6. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    It was absolutely brilliant, all of it. It was a peach of a right followed up by a big left. He’s said that he waited for his legs to feel ok before getting up as he was aware that the ref would have stopped it had he jumped up to quick. I’m not 100% sure though cos Fury looked lights out to me to around the count of 5.

impacted, Ilesey, rski and 2 others like this.
  7. Hattonmad

Hattonmad Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 5, 2009
    No one can prove it either way. Although I don't know how you can say he rode the shots? That left hook nearly took his head clean off.

8. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Did the knockdown look worse than it was ?
    YES and NO.

I mean, yes, it looked worse from most angles but I think the referee saw that Fury wasn't actually out cold. The whole "his eyes rolled back in his head" stuff people said is misleading, because any time anyone falls straight backwards for any reason, their eyes will roll back. That's gravity. Tip your head back quickly and your eyes roll back.

But, no, it was as bad as it looks, because Fury was hit really hard with a flush right and a free left follow up, went down and was flat on his back, a very heavy knockdown. He must have been dizzy a least, he figured out he was down, took some deep breathes and then proceeded to get up. Very very impressive.

Boxing fans should understand that often times fighters are down heavy and either can't move in time or can't see the point in trying to move at that time, they don't want to beat that count or don't believe they can - and we don't believe they can either - but they aren't actually out cold.
    Whether he was momentarily out we don't know, maybe he doesn't know. He body sustained a major shock whatever way you look at it.

This wasn't Hatton against Pacquiao though. I think Deontay Wilder did himself a disservice by saying referees wave fights off in those cases. It almost implies he needs squeamish referees to beat Fury.
    It shows how shook Wilder is by discovering his vaunted power isn't irresistible.

9. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Of course, the most incredible thing is that Fury went on to give Wilder some heavy smashes to the head and boss the rest of the round, and even had the audacity to put his hands behind his back during the action AFTER that knockdown.

He did tell us all he was a pure-bred fighting man.

Holler, hitandhope, impacted and 3 others like this.
  10. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    His recovery was fantastic.

rski likes this.
  11. Aston Villa

Aston Villa Active Member banned Full Member

Nov 22, 2011
    I thought the left hook was rode too to be fair. I think its because he was supple from the right that was already putting him down. I don't think the left hook was as damaging as it looked, like there was no resistance in Fury when it landed. If the same left hook had of caught him standing it would've been worse for him Tyson. Hope it makes sense to you my theory

Work the body and rski like this.
  12. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    Yeah i'm inclined to think his heart and determination got him up and enabled him to make that incredible comeback in round 12, its that refusal to lose mentality. I think he was probably hurt to the point where most fighters would think its not worth getting up, but he had that extra motivation. I still tend to agree he wasn't out cold though, suddenly waking up. He was hurt and shocked but still able to assess the situation imo. The effect of it still looked great though, you could go with the out cold theories then rising up like some mystical beast.

It was probably one of my favorite moments in boxing history which is something I'd never believed I would say about Fury. As said, the way they all thought it was over and the look on Wilder's face. It was just one of those things that shouldn't have happened in real life. Whatever the case, I don't think I have ever been so happy to see a fighter get up from a knock down, if Wilder was able to finish his goofy celebration it would have been pretty depressing.

Not that it was the best fight ever but I must have watched this thing 10 times by now, unheard if these days, fascinating fight and you have to give wilder credit for posing the danger he did, you cant make many mistakes with a puncher like that and he does have the athletic ability to land, at some point as least.

13. crixus85

crixus85 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2014
    I think he was "out" for 4 sec's or so, found it astonishing watching it live. He then went on to win remainder of round, just like the 15th of the first Frazier - Ali fight. I think we have a special talent here.

14. Work the body

Work the body Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Fury isn’t Jesus ffs no matter how much he says it was a divine intervention like he’s been saying. Wilder doesn’t bang as hard as everyone has been saying that’s my conclusion.

It was a moment that will go down in boxing history though. Fury is the man. Who will he face for his 4th warm up fight?

Aston Villa likes this.
  15. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    You bunch of boring *******s.

Fuxk sake just enjoy it