Did the Thomas v Tyson bout in `87 proved Holyfield could have taken prime Tyson`s best shots?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Jan 10, 2019.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    This content is protected

mark ant likes this.
  2. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    Yeah, had he engaged Tyson like that, that would have been right up Tyson's alley. It may be an unpopular opinion but I think that the 1996 version of Holyfield who fought Tyson would be the best version of Holyfield to put against any version of Tyson. Not saying that he would have prevailed against a 1988 Tyson, but I think that an older, smarter and physically stronger Holyfield of 1996 would have had more of a chance than the Holyfield of 1988-91.

Bigcheese and Sangria like this.
  3. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    I think that Tyson would have taken Holyfield more seriously as an opponent, so had Holyfield had been in there that night, a better version of Tyson may have appeared.

Sangria likes this.
  4. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Yes and the way Mike finished Thomas was something else too.

5. guncho

guncho next champion! Full Member

Oct 15, 2007
    As i said in other post holyfield lacked hw punch in thomas fight. Still he did not drop a round unlike tyson.

6. guncho

Oct 15, 2007
    No doubt he would have taken Holyfield more seriously but if he did not i see Holyfield doing job on tyson same as buster. Tyson would need to be at his best or close to best to beat holy imo.

mark ant likes this.
  7. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Tyson finished Thomas as a elite fighter, period...........Thomas lost 4 out 5 fights straight after his defeat to Tyson.

Sangria and mark ant like this.
  8. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Pinklon Thomas' last truly good outing was against Mike Weaver in 1985. His peak was 82-85. He looked like he'd aged somewhat overnight against Berbick and was quite disappointing. He fought three absolute nobodies prior to the Tyson bout but gave a pretty good account of himself against Tyson.

Titan1, Unforgiven and guncho like this.
  9. guncho

Oct 15, 2007
    Or berbick finished him as elite fighter? Pinklon looked the same to me aginst holyfield as he did vs tyson.

10. Wvboxer

Wvboxer Active Member Full Member

Apr 20, 2013
    I hadn’t watched this fight since 1987! All I could remember was Angelo Dundee yelling at the dr after the 1st round and Tyson landing all those bombs to finish the fight. Watching it now, Thomas fought a pretty tough fight. There were times when he showed off his powerful jab & he definitely showed off his world class chin. I get why he was fairly respected in the 80’s.

The key to me is Tyson doesn’t ever get discouraged, throws lots of combinations, worked the body, and continued to attack. That what makes 80’s Tyson good. This version had much greater focus and mental toughness than later versions. He also was in great shape.

I’ve got to watch more Pinklon Thomas fights!!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Sangria likes this.
  11. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Thomas had an iron chin and Tyson still cracked it and put him away after a spectacular series of combinations.

Holyfield doesn't beat a Tyson with Rooney. Holyfield figured out Tyson's pattern after Rooney departed. Without Rooney in his corner, Mike became more predicable.

mark ant and Sangria like this.
  12. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    An argument could be made, given that Thomas was his #1 WBC contender, only 29 years old himself, a former heavyweight champ, and a big man with a powerful jab who only had one loss on his record at the time ... that the Thomas win was Mike Tyson's best performance.

If you want to show Tyson at his best, put on the Thomas fight. And Thomas didn't just take a shot and fall down. He was in the fight.

Great performance by Tyson. I don't think Holyfield could've stood up to him on THAT night, but I think there were a lot of nights when Kevin Rooney trained Tyson when Holyfield at his best would've done just fine against Tyson.

Sucks for Pinklon. Because Thomas had the chin and the jab and the strength (on paper) to give Tyson a bad night.

Just not on THAT night. About every heavyweight who ever lived would've been in trouble that night.

Titan1 likes this.
  13. moneytheman12

moneytheman12 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 4, 2021
    somebody with logical sense the followers keep saying this old dumb quote of holy would always beat mike from his 90s outboxing/semi brawler style

he was a full brawler in 80s mike never got beat by those or close to it so why say holy would he wouldnt its crazy to say he would

mark ant likes this.
  14. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005

Holyfield both outboxed and outjabbed Douglas before feinting him into a beautiful one punch KO.

Tyson has no-one of the class or ability of Holyfield in his win column, ever.

It's reasonable to speculate the fight may have been different but to say "it's crazy to say" Holyfield would win (similar in multiple Tyson threads in a short space of time) is quite frankly ridiculous and grossly disrespectful to Holyfield who did actually pump him in the real world regardless whether it was 6 years later.

One thing Holyfield did always have was that supreme will to win and heart.

15. moneytheman12

moneytheman12 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 4, 2021
    where is the disrespect at its fact he was a brawler in 80s and is crazy to say he could win with that style when no brawler came close your talking a certain night I'm talking in general his young days he brawed to much his body was more lw and not close to as tough for taking damage in his 90s form which was his real prime his skill level was way better in 90s

brawling is a bad style but for mike nobody beat him like I said in that style they needed for a fact to outbox him to win which is why I say the 90s holy would might have always beat the best mike but 80s holy no

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021