Did Wilder Cement his place among the ATG because of the Fury 3 fight?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by UFC2020, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Everything I said was a fact. If your response to facts are to insult the person saying them, that's on you.

2. Murderers' Row

Murderers' Row Active Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Blatantly ignoring the robbery that took place in the Holyfield - Lewis fight and the Fury - Wilder fight.

I'm so so glad your man got sparked last saturday night.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    BubblesUK and gmurphy like this.
  3. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    So taking out Spzilka because they've both fought him, and Helenius because the records state Chisora lost, beating David Price and Carlos Takam is better than 2 wins over Luis Ortiz.

4. timeout

timeout Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 15, 2010
    David price with Al Haymon backing . #tothisday

BubblesUK, Heavy_Hitter and gmurphy like this.
  5. Cojimar 1946

Cojimar 1946 Active Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2014
    The argument about title fights is really bizarre because Wilder didn't have to beat the guy regarded as the best heavyweight in the world to become a so called champion. And the guys he was beating in so called defenses were no better than guys his contemporaries were beating.

lufcrazy likes this.
  6. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Well Takam and Helenius similar level to Ortiz (what I refer to a s high Euro level fighter but not world level fighters) . Price isn't though - low Euro level.

Don't agree with "official" score card when a person has been screwed over hence why always refer Fury as winning 3 fights against Wilder.

BubblesUK likes this.
  7. NEETzschean

NEETzschean Active Member Full Member

Feb 23, 2021
    I don't know what Povetkin has to do with this and by the metrics I mentioned (KO ratio, P4P credentials, consecutive title defences) he doesn't compete with Wilder, nor is his best win (Whyte) as good in terms of absolute ability as Wilder's (Ortiz). Maybe Povetkin does quality as an ATG but it's very subjective.

8. NEETzschean

NEETzschean Active Member Full Member

Feb 23, 2021
    "And while quality matters more than quantity, racking up 10 defences (9 by KO) of his WBC belt over 5 years was a very impressive feat, requiring not just exceptional talent but great focus, motivation and discipline. Every fighter on the WBC ladder was thinking about Wilder, preparing specifically for him well in advance and studying a vast quantity of footage of him, while Wilder had many contenders to think about and could only fully occupy himself with one at a time. Moreover, heavyweight is the division where any given opponent has the biggest puncher's chance (especially today with larger heavyweights) and Wilder faced a greater variety of body types, styles and stances in his title defence run than any champion before the Klitschko era. Wilder managed more consecutive heavyweight title defences than Tyson, Lewis and Vitali: in the modern era only Wlad surpasses him in this respect."

Douglas, McCall, Rahman, Sanders and Ruiz were all regarded as knockover jobs for the reigning champ of the time and Wilder didn't lose to a B/C level guy like this; he flattened all of his Buster Douglas's and Andy Ruiz's.

9. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    Nothing to talk about but Deontay Wilder.

10. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
  11. Ilesey

Ilesey ~ Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
  12. MAJR

MAJR Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Did Wilder secure a place amongst the all times greats by losing his second consecutive fight against Tyson Fury via stoppage as part of a trilogy in which he failed to win a single fight? Erm...I'm gonna say...no...