Did you catch Wards comments on Kovelev's toughness during the fight? I thought he was spot on

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Oakland Billy Smith, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Oakland Billy Smith

Oakland Billy Smith Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 19, 2018
    First and foremost: Congrats to Kovalev the Krusher on his exciting KO win

As for Wards comments:

In case you missed it, Ward made a comment in the 2nd or 3rd round that Kovalev was a hard puncher, but that he lacked mental hardness...and that there was a diference..

He went as far as to say that he was surprised at how easily he was able to manhandle Kovalev in their fights

I must admit that is exactly what I took away from the two fights with Ward, and there has been an air of that about Kovalev ever since..

I will say, he did a nice job of digging deep today. Hats off to a good home town performance

iii, eltirado and POTUS like this.
  2. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Ward is a tenacious but dirty fighter who was outboxed from the outside, his inside game is rough but very effective. Kovalev beat ward 8-4, ward then retired after getting a lowblow ko, the Krusher is still fighting strongly past prime. Yeh he's past prime now, he's not hitting as hard he's more cautious because he's older and less durable. Ward is probably physically stronger then Kovalev in the clinch, kovalev doesn't like being in the clinch. He likes jabbing wards head off.

brown-bomber, iii, Patter983 and 4 others like this.
  3. Gneus7

Gneus7 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Ward knows what he's talking about. Like any fighter, Kovalev has his strong points and not-so-strong points.

eltirado, kirk and POTUS like this.
  4. mirkofilipovic

mirkofilipovic ESB Management Full Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Ward got gifted a decision against Kovalev in the first, and proceeded to foul his way to victory in the rematch. Yet he speaks of manhandling, more like ball handling.

kriszhao, iii, shoe and 3 others like this.
  5. chacal

chacal F*** the new normal Full Member

Jun 21, 2015
    Kovalev is mentally weak. Strong with the weak, weak with the strong. A quitter when things go really bad. But that's not a secret, the whole world watched it.

6. ertwin

ertwin Active Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2016
    Well things didnt go well in the 8th and he didnt show any weakness...

7. lepinthehood

Aug 27, 2011
    Hahaha. No he's not a quitter. Or he wouldn't come out in round 9 today. He would of quit boxing after he got a bad decision in ward first fight.

You're really are an Ignorant, extremely stupid person to call him a quitter after what he's been through from early career, not getting paid etc to his comeback as a world champion from a brutal ko. Loss to Alvarez, from being an alcoholic and then, to regain a world title again. What do you about quitting you ****ing blow job. Get some perspective you insect.

deyell, Minotauro, cole27 and 4 others like this.
  8. chacal

chacal F*** the new normal Full Member

Jun 21, 2015
    do you really think that yarde was "the strong one" in the ring? yarde scored a lucky punch, that's all. Had yarde been the stronger one, kovalev would have quitted.

eltirado likes this.
  9. ertwin

ertwin Active Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2016
    Well he is younger then kovalev and has like 8 lbs more muscle on him, so yeah he is the stronger one.

eltirado likes this.
  10. lepinthehood

Aug 27, 2011
    Kovalev didn't even quit in the 2nd fight against ward did he? He didn't get pulled out, he didn't signal to the corner to get him out of there, he didn't run out of the ring, he was hit with a big right hand, pushed to the ropes and hit in the body and pubic area aswell as genitals. The ref stopped the fight you big buffoon. He called it off. So it was a tko. There wasn't a no Mas like lomanchenko has been doing to Walters, rigodeaux etc. Probably fighters you like aswell I reckon. Real quitters.

11. lepinthehood

Aug 27, 2011
    Kovalev was hurt more against Yarde tonight then he was against ward, ward had him stunned and in disarray but where was the quit job? You tell me now you twat. You have no clue what you're talking about chacal.

eltirado likes this.
  12. Silver

Silver The Champ is Here Full Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Think it's more stamina issues than anything else. And when you're in your mid 30's, it could be a big problem.

eltirado likes this.
  13. Hi-Tek-Lomo

Hi-Tek-Lomo Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    If Kov. was truly mentally weak, he never would've come back from those two crushing defeats.

14. Banana-Rama

Banana-Rama Active Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Ward was talking about physical strength not ''mental hardness'':
    ''The interesting thing about kovalev is even tho he's a strong puncher he's not physically strong, i was surprised when i got inside how easily i was able to manhandle him and push him back, he's not physically strong but he is a strong puncher, there is a difference.''

KO KIDD, gdm, KidGalahad and 4 others like this.
  15. gdm

gdm Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Ward said Kovalev is not physically strong, but he was a big puncher. I think ward is 100% right , but he of course forgot to mention about the gift he got from judges as he couldn’t beat kovalev and clearly lost first fight.

KO KIDD, KidGalahad and eltirado like this.