Dillian Whyte vs. Alexander Vladimirovich Povetkin

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Chuck Norris, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Povetkin might be 40 y/o and way past his best but if he catches Whyte right he can definitely get him out of there too because he's got legit KO power in both hands. And don't forget he's long been by far the best combination puncher in the HW division too. The esteemed gentleman and fearless road warrior Michael ''The Bounty'' Hunter, who has fought plenty of huge punching behemoths both am and pro and also sparred a ton of them too - including Wlad and Bootleg D, said he was surprised by Povetkin's power.

Timestamped

This content is protected

sid and Aydamn like this.
  2. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Rivas PPV buys didn't do big numbers however Parker and Chisora 2 did do good numbers (more than Wilder vs Ortiz 2). UK fans know Povetkin (fighting Price, fighting AJ and fighting Hunter on the AJ undercard), I think Whyte does over 400k buys again vs Povetkin.

Aydamn likes this.
  3. MrTombourineMan

MrTombourineMan Торрейра хорошо. Full Member

Apr 16, 2016
    Whyte's not a champion, Whyte's not turning down nine figure offers from DAZN to unify, Whyte's not claiming he's the best heavyweight in the world, or (even more hilariously) claiming to be the greatest H2H heavyweight of all time. He's just a contender waiting for the Wilder Bodyguard Council to give him his long overdue shot at the title, and to that effect Povetkin is a more than respectable choice of opposition.

You and I both know the standards expected of a fighter go up when they have a belt round their waist. And even without that disparity in expectation, I'd still argue that (should Whyte win) Povetkin and prime Parker are better than two wins over Ortiz.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    deadACE, sid, Aydamn and 1 other person like this.
  4. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    He didnt take the AJ fight because he was being undersold by a large margin, at the time he had the WBO mandatory and he knew that the AJ Whyte grudge rematch was always going to be there for him and matchroom

Boxing is a business as well as a sport Whyte has to think about his future financially.... you aim to take home as much as you can in this game ane Whute was being given leftovers when he knew he was worth more.

As for Luis Ortiz, Ortiz was offered a main card headline bout at the O2 arena but he declined.. seems his mastered wanted Whyte to instead be an undercard on Wilders show in USA

Besides,. ortiz held a second mandatory position which was hardly worth the effort to get.. whem breazeale had the primary mandatory postion being ahead of the line to fight Wilder

its funny because Ortiz had previously come down to fight Dave Allen but didnt wanna come to fight Whyte

Ortiz has since proven he has a tendency to play games and duck fights as he ducked AJs 5 million offer when Miller pulled out... difference is Ortiz is a million years old and wasnt gonna get that offer again or anywhere else... whereas Whyte was young, grude match was always gonna be there and was the WBO mando at the time he got offered AJ

5. blackfella96

blackfella96 Active Member Full Member

Jul 10, 2019
    I read in a few places that it was actually Whyte who pulled out of the fight against Ortiz. At the time Whyte was only number 1 contender and not Mandatory, so don't you think he should've just bit the bullet and went on the undercard? if he wins he would've been mandatory then, but I guess the Rivas fight sorted all that out, but that didn't give him a leg to stand on to complain about not getting a title shot.

6. Aydamn

Jul 31, 2018
    Do i think whyte should have bit the bullet and ate peanuts to get a secndary slot mandatory position?

no way in hell

whyte is wbc interim right now and still being made to wait till 2021

if he fought ortiz he would have been waiting till 2025

WBC and wilder will make you wait an eternity,. Breazeale got called to fight wilder as soon as whyte finalised a deal to fight breazeale

convenient timing? Hell no

deadACE likes this.
  7. Aydamn

Jul 31, 2018
    wilder is not in the money making business thats why he is facing fury again

he is in the play it safe business

if he really wanted whyte he could have fought whyte years ago but instead Fury jumps the queue ahead of whyte and for what?

fury wilder doesnt generate more money than wilder whyte ....and fury has no belts to bring to the table

so why fight fury then and not whyte?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Mitch87 likes this.
  8. blackfella96

Jul 10, 2019
    Right now Fury is the riskiest fight for Wilder, so hardly a play it safe business. I think it was the best decision, because it's a legacy fight. Just because Whyte vs Fury can generate more money doesn't mean its the better and meaningful fight. Wilder Fury is the biggest fight in the division right now and won't be changed until AJ fights one of them. Whyte deserves his shot, and he should be next in line for Wilder, but I ain't complaining if AJ overtakes him to fight for unification.

9. Aydamn

Jul 31, 2018
    i wont complain too much either if aj fights wilder ahead of whyte

but full right to complain over the fury fight... twice as well

you are being truly naive if you think fury is the risky fight... he was handpicked by wilder for being low threat

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    deadACE and Mitch87 like this.
  10. daverobin

daverobin Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2015
    Well whyte has to loose 25 lbs !!! If he comes in over 250 lbs povetkin will stop him !! If whyte comes in shape he wins via dec

11. blackfella96

Jul 10, 2019
    I'd rather see the best in the division fight over Whyte. Fury, AJ and Wilder fighting eachother takes priority, especially with Fury already having a foot out the door with his WWE stuff.

Fury is top 3 in the division and arguably the best in the division, I can't see how you can handpick that. Only people I see having the skill to beat Fury is Wilder and AJ, no one else convinces me.

12. Aydamn

Jul 31, 2018
    I think you are just trolling

if Fury was the best he wouldnt have ****ed up his career fighting puddings like schwarz pianeta and wallin who exposed fury

Any of the top three can lose to whyte thats why they dont wanna fight him because Aj lowballed an offer.... wilder made him wait... fury ducked him when ordered by WBC

but you keep convincing yourself thats these guys walk over whyte and they are head and shoulders above

Your mind is made up, meanwhile whyte gets the most respect from the fans now for all the reasons i mentioned

13. ILikeBoxingForRealz

ILikeBoxingForRealz Active Member Full Member

Nov 29, 2018
    Battle of the left hooks here. 2 of the best hooks in the division IMO. Whyte comes in serious, in shape, Id pick him to win a slugfest

Aydamn likes this.
  14. blackfella96

Jul 10, 2019
    Okay so he fights these guys, and then goes and fights the most dangerous guy in the division. Sure did ruin his career didn't he...

There's nothing to convince me that he can beat Wilder and Fury, I see Wilder landing first and Whyte not landing on Fury. I thought he'd beat AJ but after that december performance, I don't know, I see AJ beating him too. Fairplay if he manages to beat either of these guys, but can't see it.

Whyte's the guy who convinced me. Can't hold him to a super high standard after his last fight come on.

Whyte is number 4, I think that he beats most of the top ten, but not AJ, Wilder and Fury. Just because I don't think he can't beat the top 3 don't mean I dislike him.

eltirado likes this.
  15. Aydamn

Jul 31, 2018
    Are we supposed to be impressed that Fury fought wilder??????

Why the hell? It doesnt count so dont mention it....

Whytes been screaming to fight wilder and he earned it more

Anyone in the top ten would fight wilder because he is a champ... it doesnt mean jack that fury is fighting wilder except that whyte got avoided 4 times in a row.

And the december fight? Whyte gets a pass given what he went through, and taking the fight on three weeks notice,

Gets a full pass after a stacked year fighting the top opposition but its HILARIOUS that you let it slide for Fury fighting those bums but wont give Whyte a pass on the december fight.

Jesus you are trolling us man