Dillian Whyte

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    With the hard on Adam Smith has for him....you can bet he'll replace Johhny Nelson soon as a pundit too

The facts are he'll definetly be getting a AJ psyday because Sky and Matchroom will gaslight the casual fans into paying out for ppv .....whyte is entertaining and he fits into what casual fans want their bad asses to be.

He will get his shot like nothing happened by beating a 41yr old povetkin...he really has little to worry about he has another ppv in the rematch lined up.....he figures to win......

Even in the highly unlikely event he "fears" a rematch ...u can bet Smith .....who is the Bill Gates of boxing....will sell us chisora 3 like its the thriller in manilla

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    It's a bit shocking that Whyte thinks he doesn't really need to improve to win a rematch.
    An experienced smart fighter like Povetkin will surely have learned a bit about how he can better fight Whyte if they match again. Povetkin will be looking to improve significantly, and he just won the fight.
    Whyte just got starched, he ought to figure out in the next few days that he needs to improve a lot to prevent the same thing happening again.

Whyte should win the rematch because Povetkin is an old man, 41 years old in a few days and fights in a style that ought to require youthful energy.
    These days, against a decent strong opponent, Povetkin has 3 good rounds in him, if that. We saw that last night.

If Whyte can't beat an old man who fights in that style, he's just crap. But that's the same thing I was saying before this fight. Whyte is perhaps just crap.

3. EJC83

EJC83 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    "He's been cooking his own meals" - Adam Smith giving us some more fascinating insight into the life of Dillian Whyte, a man in his 30's, a dad, who knows how to cook.

4. Work the body

Work the body Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 5, 2015
    I said it before the fight the whole of the sky team were overlooking Povetkin and so was Whyte. They were talking as if Povetkin was a ****ing tick over fight ffs. Yea they were saying it was a dangerous fight but you could tell they didn’t believe what they were saying. The disrespect they showed to Povetkin prior during and after the fight is disgusting. Nelson saying it was a lucky punch. Was it ****! Povetkin trained for it and executed it perfectly. The first few rounds were very close and not a shut out like those idiot commentators would have you believe. Povetkin never looked hurt when he was knocked down and had the fight gone on longer I believe Povetkin would have taken over anyway. If Whyte thinks he doesn’t have to improve to beat him he’s deluded. Povetkin is still one of the best heavyweights in the world and Whyte was arrogant to think he could cherry pick him.
    I mean how stupid do you have to be to voluntarily face Povetkin when your in a mandatory position for the world title? Come on. Why would you? He’s the guy you fight when your forced to.

Boris Johnson and Robney like this.
  5. Cookiedough

Cookiedough New Member Full Member

Feb 18, 2020
    I am sure that Whyte would fight all of the above given proper notice and a purse he is happy with.

6. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Absolutely right. Whyte's got a re-match. Since when did one defeat finish a Heavyweight ? Whyte's willingness to fight top 10 opponents has been a breath of fresh air to be honest.

Nick UK likes this.
  7. BEATDOWNZ

BEATDOWNZ Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Like a 16 week camp and £8 mill? Probably...

8. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    This

"I feel so sorry for him, risk after risk" etc

That keeps being trotted out. They seek to be missing it has made him a multimillionaire ffs. He has been extraordinarily well paid for a bloke that has never been a title fight

9. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Whilst I respect the Whyte has boxed some very good opposition over the past few years, I lost all sympathy for his title shot quest when he turned down AJ @ Wembley last year.

10. destruction

destruction Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Sloppiness and defensive openess has been a characteristic of all of Whyte's recent performances.

The issue for Whyte was that it took a shot Povetkin to be good enough and clever enough to exploit it, whilst others could not.

Whyte will always leave himself open like that, he lacks the foot speed and mobility to be illusive.

So I fail to see what he can do differently in a rematch and would advise against him taking a rematch. There is a good chance that Povetkin starches him again, and 8/10 times that they fight.

Whyte should take an easy fight or 2, and wait for a shot at a world title belt.

11. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Get outta my pub you slags!!! Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Like I said before the fight, Whyte is very Very hitable, if wach and helenius were able to land and wobble whyte I knew Povetkin would. I just wasn’t sure how well he’d take his shots.

I don’t see whyte able to go back to the drawing board and pulling out a AJ Ruiz 2 performance keeping Povetkin on the end of the jab all night, his jab is good but not that good.

I see the same thing happening in the rematch with whyte getting stopped again but maybe a few rounds later

12. Twentyman

Twentyman John Fury’s nut sack.... Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Povetkin was alarmingly easy to land the jab on. His footwork and hand speed was glacial. He was on his way out in round 5 and he threw one last roll of the dice and Whyte fell for it. I was shocked at just how much Povetkin‘s punch resistance had diminished. Whyte was lazy throughout in my opinion, he had no respect for the old fella and was trying to set up a ‘statement’ finish.

Povetkin gets starched in the rematch. The knockout was brilliant, hilarious, and satisfying in equal measure, but don’t let it pull the wool over your eyes to the blatant evidence in the first 4 rounds...Povetkin is completely shot, lads. That was the ghost of Povetkin.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Robney and themaster999 like this.
  13. teddybaldock

teddybaldock Active Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2010
    With the rematch clauses probably in every one of the fights the reality is there was never any risk

TBC-ASAP likes this.
  14. Furious

Furious Active Member Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Has anyone heard from Aydamn? You usually can’t get away from him on this forum. He’s so absurdly emotionally invested in Whyte I was interested to see his views on the fight.

15. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Earned a few quid on Povetkin the other night but that said Whyte will knock him out in the rematch.

Whyte was in control of the fight, had dropped Pov twice and was on his way to getting a stoppage. Whilst Pov did seem clear when he got up both times, when Whyte was landing clean he was putting him over. The bell came at the right time at the end of round 4 as I think Whyte would've put it on him... but all if's but's and maybes. Credit where it's due, Povetkin set the trap and Whyte fell for it.... lovely shot.

That aside, the amount of clowns ridiculing Whyte is laughable. I constantly see people saying how fighters protect the 0 and don't take 50/50 fights.... then you have someone like Whyte who is putting himself in "50/50"' fights, gets unstuck in one (because that can happen when you take evenly matched fights!) and people want to stick the boot in. He could easily have taken easy fights whilst waiting it out for the WBC, which many fighters would've done, but he didn't.

Nick UK likes this.