Dirtiest Boxer in the Modern Era?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Easyrhino, Nov 22, 2022.

1. DramaShow

DramaShow 18 banned Full Member

Dec 22, 2020
    On a British level Kid Galahad and Josh Warrington are up there.

Finkel likes this.
  2. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4 Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
  3. Pepsi Dioxide

Pepsi Dioxide Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2020
    Oscar's special cup guard up to his nipples to protect against body shots

But the first ones I thought of was Hopkins, Ward, and Golota in no particular order

I respect holyfield immensely for all that he did and his fearless confidence taking on all comers. That said, he did more than likely ingested enough PEDs to kill a horse and he liked using his head in certain fights. Not as flagrant as the others mentioned above though when it comes to his head.

Bowe should of probably been DQd a few times as well from memory

Ruiz' constant clinching was a dirty tactic along with his over exaggeration of low blows that drove me crazy.

4. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Ward.
    Salido.
    Holyfield.
    Fury.

lordlosh and robert ungurean like this.
  5. MURK20

MURK20 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Maidana fought dirty as hell against Mayweather but no one talks about it because anything goes against Mayweather. Plus fouling from time to time is apart of the sport. Only when their fighter loses, people cry about rough tactics.

6. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Right. I've seen plenty of guys fight dirty. Only a select few get the brunt of it.

asweetscience and Pepsi Dioxide like this.
  7. fencik45

fencik45 Active Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2022
    Ali, Ward, Fury, Golota, Holyfield, Bowe, Akinwande, Bramble all pop to mind fairly quickly.

lordlosh and Pepsi Dioxide like this.
  8. BeantownAll

BeantownAll Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Ward definitely is competitive for this title. Not only for his 2nd fight against Kovalev - but if you turn back the clock a few years earlier to 2009 - he headbutted Mikkel Kessler repeatedly to open up cuts that eventually required a stoppage of the fight.

9. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    It is only dirty if you get penalised, the rest is all part of the game, fighters and their teams do everything in their power to gain advantage be that chemically, physically, mentally, through to influencing as much else as they can, be that ring size, through to rehydration or rematch clauses.

All dirty tricks in reality but i sure would rather face a headbutter, than a fighter with a lab full of PED chemicals in his system.

The authorities and officials are not penalising dirty boxing, so officially it is not happening, now bring back Zivic, Mysterious Billy Smith, Wolgast, and their ilk, and you will get true dirty boxing master classes then

10. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Ward takes it by far . Dirtiest fighter in every way possible, yet was allowed to get away with it
    Why Antonio Margarito?? Tony was a FIGHTER!!! Not a fancy dan like Floyd. Tony came to FIGHT!! Sadly he was too tough for his own good Floyd, Oscar etc avoided him like the plague. I'm certain that was the reason the ludicrous "Loaded Gloves " accusations. They tried but couldnt prove he'd done anything illegal but still Suspended him for over TWO YEARS because they SUSPECTED hed tried . Floyd was off the hook didn't have to fight him Oscar instead chose Pacquaio!! Wrong!!!!!!!!!!! Karma made sure Oscar paid. Floyd just breathed a sigh of relief

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    Dangerwood84 and Jackman65 like this.
  11. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Both Ward & Tony Weekes should have been banned over that display against Kovalev Those punches were DELIBERATE FOULS. Weekes knew it we all saw it Instead of DQing Ward Weekes called it a TKO
    Kirk Johnson suffered the reverse with John Ruiz & Joe Cortez. Every body shot Kirk threw Ruiz gave an Oscar winning performance & Cortez let him. We were yelling at him Go to the head stay away from the body.
    Sure enough Cortez DQ'd Kirk

Perkin Warbeck likes this.
  12. Dangerwood84

Dangerwood84 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Ward is the undisputed of all time in this category, shout out to John Ruiz aswell.

13. Forza

Forza Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 18, 2012
    If we're talking about active boxers today, boots ennis is extremely dirty. His last 2 knockouts came from punching his opponent in the back of the head as hard as he could.

14. Dangerwood84

Dangerwood84 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Andre Ward for sure and good call on Mares, never seems to get mentioned but the dudes fav shot was to the goolies!

jquest likes this.
  15. Pepsi Dioxide

Pepsi Dioxide Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2020
    The amount of obscenities I hurled at my TV during the Ruiz Johnson fight has to be close to a personal record

C.J. and fencik45 like this.