Dmitrii Yurievich Bivol vs. Artur Asilbekovich Beterbiev

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Feb 4, 2024.

The Beast or The Beast?

This poll will close on Jun 1, 2024 at 1:09 PM.
  1. Bivol on points

36.2%
  2. Bivol by stoppage

2.4%
  3. Draw

0.8%
  4. Beterbiev on points

2.4%
  5. Beterbiev by stoppage

58.3%
  1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    June first in Riyadh, SA. Unprecedented complete & utter unification of all five sanctioned world championship belts at light heavyweight (the Big Four as well as their nearest pretender).

At stake will be the IBO and WBA Super (1st and 5th defenses of Bivol respectively) titles as well as the IBF, WBC, and WBO titles (9th, 6th and 3rd defenses of Beterbiev respectively).

Both champions are professionally undefeated.

Both had stellar amateur careers with over a hundred bouts.

Both were born in the Soviet Bloc (Kyrgyzstan & Dagestan respectively - the USSR fell when Bivol was an infant and Beterbiev a prepubescent child) but now reside in North America; Bivol in the United States and Beterbiev in Canada.

Both are nicknamed "The Beast".

Both compete in the orthodox stance, and excel against southpaws.

Both have consistently campaigned at LHW since they each debuted roughly a decade ago (Bivol in 2014 and Beterbiev in 2013 - both climbing slightly above the 175lb limit in their rookie years but never since)

Both the same height and reach within a couple inches.

Many strong similarities, but that's about where they dry up. Inside and outside the ring, very different animals, these Beasts.

Artur Beterbiev is a piously devout Muslim reported to be well-liked by anyone that's shared a training camp with him, with a brutal body punching acumen and perfect 100% kayo rate. Dmitrii Bivol is an aloof and standoffish trash talking wife beater with a pinpoint precision jab-and-movement based style.

Professional opponents in common:
    • Joe Smith Jr. - defeated via UD by Bivol in 2019, and stopped by Beterbiev in 2022

Amateur opponents in common - rather surprisingly, they have only two:
    • Nikita Ivanov - lost to Beterbiev in 2009, and to Bivol in 2012 & 2014.
    • Elshod Rasulov - lost to Beterbiev twice in 2009 and once in 2010, and to Bivol in 2013

** Listed on their records but not actually faced in the ring in the amateurs:
    Oleksandr Gvozdyk was stopped by Beterbiev in 2009, defeated Bivol by WO (forfeit) in 2013; Souliman Abdourachidov was beaten by Bivol in 2013 and defeated Beterbiev by WO the year prior.

*** I've long heard (mostly on internet boxing forums) whispers of an amateur series between them, with Bivol winning three of four contests, but can't find any official records to corroborate this. :nusenuse:

2. TheShellofKell

TheShellofKell Nakatani Future P4P #1 Full Member

Sep 3, 2021
    I think Bivol wins maybe the first or first 2 rounds by staying off the line and whipping quick shots into Artur and getting out. Arthur will realise quite quickly that he can overpower Bivol and start backing him up more and more as the fight goes on wearing him down to the body. I think we are looking at an 11th round stoppage maybe even 12th in Beterbiev's favour.

3. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    UKDweller, EJDiaZ, northpaw and 4 others like this.
  4. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    :private:

Rumsfeld and UnleashtheFURY like this.
  5. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Not sure whether or not(that kind) of video would actually hurt or enhance Rummys reputation around these parts. :lol:

6. DaRealJT

DaRealJT Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 26, 2021
    Beterbiev by stoppage

Underrated boxing IQ, he’ll be able to keep up with Bivol and stop him mid-to-late rounds

7. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Eventually.

C.J., oldcanvasback, Clinton and 7 others like this.
  8. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    You do have nearly 4 months. :sisi1

C.J. and Rumsfeld like this.
  9. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Will be rooting hard for AB. My favorite active fighter. Bivol is the goods. Skilled fighter. Gvozdyk is the only fighter on ABs resume that is in the same stratosphere as Bivol. Well schooled fighter and lightening fast for the LHW division.

10. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Are the WBC allowing Bicol to fight for the title?

11. ikrasevic

ikrasevic F(_)CK the new age Full Member

Nov 3, 2021
    I expect a similar fight and outcome as the fight Beterbiev Vs. Gvozdyk.

12. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    If Beterbiev is as focused and sharp as he was last fight then I see him beating Bivol down the stretch.

I honestly think Bivol’s best shot at beating Beterbiev is to fight fire with fire. Fighting in a more aggressive approach and pushing Beterbiev back with constant pressure while keeping his guard up would help him build more points rather than backing away.

13. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    This fight is past is best by date, but regardless, this is the most anticipated fight for me personally since... idk... a long time lol.

Can't believe its actually happening. I genuinely didn't think it would ever happen.

Thankful to the Saudis for making boxing almost great again.

C.J., HistoryZero26, EJDiaZ and 3 others like this.
  14. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Pulled my thoughts on this from another post:-

IMO, this whole fight comes down to one see-saw contest

1 a) Can Artur negate / nullify Bivol's superb distance management to be able to cut off the ring effectively and deliver his thudding shots to take the spring out of Bivol's step and the fluidity / efficiency of his movement and defence

2 b) Can Bivol do enough with his jabs and 1/2 to control the distance as he has done so effectively in the majority of fights we have seen, and can he stop Artur from cutting off the ring and pushing him onto the ropes.

The earlier that Artur can cut off the ring and disrupt Bivol's control of the distance, the better his chances of a stoppage become IMO.

The longer that Bivol can control the distance, keep Artur thinking about defence, the better his chances of avoiding a stoppage.

What is the most fascinating to me is the extremes of what we have seen before:-

+ NO ONE has been able to nullify Beterbiev's offence and ability to cut off the ring
    + NO ONE has been able to nullify Bivol's control of range and fight tempo.

Something has to give, and NOTHING would surprise me in this fight - expect maybe an early Bivol stoppage lol

I think that Bivol's management of distance and his defense is so good that he is capable of going the distance - but he has to execute to perfection, and that favours Artur.

On the flipside, if Bivol brings his A-game and executes perfectly, it's possible we might see a more frustrated Beterbiev by the mid-rounds if he cannot win the distance battle - however, even that is a really interesting little sub-battle, as both fighters have ice-cold poker faces and very rarely show any kind of frustration / lack of composure in the ring - but I suspect if anyone can bring it out of the other, it's the other.

I'm edging 55-45 Beterbiev right now, because he can probably afford to make more mistakes than Dimitry can, and that maye be all the difference in the world.

Either way, can't wait to see this one unfold!

kirk, Alfo1998, HyperionAlpha and 2 others like this.
  15. DoubleG95Fanatic

DoubleG95Fanatic Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 25, 2021
    I know Canelo or Ramirez are no Beterbiev but seeing Bivol's footwork and defence against both those guys.....I just don't see Beterbiev being able to outwork/outland him.

It's Bivol on points for me.