Dmitry Yuriyevich Bivol: already the GOAT Moldovan boxer?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Mar 5, 2018.

GOAT?

1. Yes

62.5%
  2. No

37.5%
  1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Nearest competition/rounding out the remainder of the country's top-10:

• Constantin Bejenaru - cruiserweight southpaw, currently 13-0 (3), same # of fights as Bivol yet no world title bouts, highest achievement is WBC Internatational belt.
    • Vitalie Grușac - 2-time Oympian; captured the bronze medal at the Olympics in Sydney at welterweight.
    • Vyacheslav Gojan - captured the bronze medal at the Olympics in Beijing at bantamweight.
    • Timofey Skryabin - captured the bronze medal at the Summer Olympics in Seoul in '88 at flyweight
    • Igor Samoilenco - 2-time Olympian, lost in his second Games in 2004 in a very close war against Cuban star Yuriorkis Gamboa.
    • Octavian Țîcu - 7-time amateur national champion, fought in the '96 Olympics and was defeated by silver medalist Toncho Tontchev.
    • Ion Gonța - eleven-year career, held the CISSBB & EBU-EE 154lbs titles, finished 20-2-2 (6).
    • Alexandru Rîşcan - flyweight amateur, successful to a point on the European scene, has lost to his best opponents (ie Michael Conlan, Kal Yafai)
    • Dmitri Galagot - currently ranked #34 in the world among light welterweights in the amateurs, with a record of 31-24 but has been matched tough against top international competition; has knockout victories (with headgear!) over current 18-0 pro 154lb prospect Patrick Szymanski, and x2 over countryman Dmitri Ganev, currently a pro welterweight prospect.

...I miss anyone?

2. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    There might be somebody else in the mix with either a geographical or hereditary claim of having been of Moldovan birth yet identifies with another nationality (Russian or Romanian, most likely), the USSR breakup has made researching a lot of these issues kind of murky, especially from an English-language vantage.

3. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
  4. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    ****. I voted no thinking Maskaev was Molodovan, but he's of Mordvin descent... FFS. Count my no as a yes. :lol:

5. minemax

minemax Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 10, 2017
    His father is a Moldavian, but his mother is a Korean.
    I would remove the word 'Moldovan' completely, because I'm sure Bivol himself does not consider himself a Moldovan boxer...

Somachenko likes this.
  6. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    :lol: So the poll is currently 50-50 but with both no votes coming by way of mistake and technicality, not that anybody disagrees with ranking him ahead of all the other boxers of Moldovan descent (listed or not).

7. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Lennox Lewis probably doesn't consider himself a Jamaican boxer yet it wouldn't be inappropriate to count him as one (nor as Canadian, nor British...it's possible and in fact quite common for boxers to be eligible for classification under multiple national headings) and while he was born in Kyrgyzstan and is expressly patriotic toward Russia, the fact is that Western culture is largely patriarchal, with an emphasis on paternal identity and provenance informing your own. So for these purposes consider the alternate wording "boxer of Moldovan descent and/or born within its traditional or modern boundaries". :thumbsup:

8. minemax

Nov 10, 2017
    Actually in one of the interviews (https://goo.gl/LtYBLT) Dmitry said it clear: "... Deep inside I have always considered himself Russian...".

deyell likes this.
  9. minemax

Nov 10, 2017
    Well, I don't consider him a Jamaican boxer either, frankly speaking! :) And at least both his parents are of Jamaican descent.

I would love to answer Lennox directly "do you consider yourself a Jamaican boxer?". I'm actually very interested in what he would answer to that...

10. minemax

Nov 10, 2017
    But I'm almost sure if we ask Dmitry Bivol "do you consider yourself a Moldavian boxer?" he would laugh and say no.

11. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I think you will find the greatest Moldovan will be Romanian.

Because Moldova will always be part of Romania.

12. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Hmm, interesting. So far (just in the last couple of minutes) I can't find any corroborating source right offhand that supports his being of Moldovan descent, but if he were how much does Bivol have to do to match/exceed him in greatness IYO? Just beat, say, Kovalev, or would he need to add more?

13. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    That's all I could find on it. Also I've read an article that claims Mihai Nistor is Moldovan ie. conqueror of the current HW champ AJ.

Hmm.. not sure to be honest. I'd have to give that some thought. I already have Bivol ranked #3 P4P so perhaps I'm not the best person to answer that question lol

14. slender4

slender4 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Yes. Now if he surpasses Chang and Yuh to be the greatest Korean, Kid Diamond as the greatest Kyrgyk and Kovalev and Povetkin as the Greatest Russian, he will have had one hell of a career.

minemax and IntentionalButt like this.