Do punches landed on the arms count ?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by J.BULLA, May 14, 2022.

1. J.BULLA

J.BULLA Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I had always assumed they did not count, as one could block punches with their arms

However I had a debate with another boxing fan who was adamant that punches landed on the arms did in fact count as scoring blows, but punches landed on the opponents gloves didnt count, and he advised me to "read the rules"

I cant be bothered to read the rules so can the experts here please clarify ?

Thanks

2. ellerbe

ellerbe It’s a Tank world Full Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I can't be bothered to read the rules either, but no it doesn't count and the person you're arguing with is a moron.

3. m.s.

m.s. Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2010
    In Canelo's rewritten rule book it will now state that "if the one throwing the punch has red hair and is named Canelo then arm punches count" to all others they do not.

4. Bustajay

Bustajay Feel the Steel/Balls Deep Full Member

Dec 9, 2012
    :risas3:

5. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    They're not scoring punches, but they can be very effective blows in certain situations.

6. m.s.

m.s. Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2010
    True, one can beat the arms so hard and often that a fighter might want to quit.

JunlongXiFan, lordlosh and Levook like this.
  7. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Not scoring. But they still hurt. I wouldn't dismiss them, they tell part of the rounds narrative.

Furey, chacal and Toney F*** U like this.
  8. Levook

Levook Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 26, 2020

Yep. It's probably been said a million times, but Rocky Marciano once beat an opponent's arms so bad, the dude required surgery ouch :ambulance:

highlander and m.s. like this.
  9. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Yeah it worked against Smith and totally unraveled him and any game plan he had but Bivol was made of sterner stuff.

Mickc likes this.
  10. Jennifer Love Hewitt

Jennifer Love Hewitt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Professional boxing is judged on the 10-point-must system. So "scoring blows" is not really a thing, unless you are asking about what compu-box counts as a landed punch.

The rules say you can punch anything above the waist, with the exception of the back and behind the head.

11. Mike_b

Mike_b Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 9, 2020
    You have to take in account effective aggression , like the great George Foreman said "these boxers are used to punching wind out of punching bags, they should hit them in the arms, hit him in the hands, shake em up!" In the Toney jirov superfight, Vasily was volume punching , hitting him in the guard but it didn't mean anything in the end, I believe James scored a knockdown or too but ultimately won the fight on points if memory deems me correct. However Ronnie shields kept telling jirov to throw more punches , setting a frenetic pace. James was there every step of the way too.

12. lordlosh

lordlosh Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 4, 2014
    This thread with Clenbuterolos excuses start earlier than i expect. :D
    Next week some of Clenbuterolos fanatics like shadow, and all of his buddies/alts and so on will start with threads that Canelo was robbed, the fight should be ruled out as NC, or automatic win for Canelo and all that kind of garbage.

As far as the thread and if it's serious, here is the deal:
    Not every punch is blocked fully. There is punches that are being partially block, but still penetrate the guard and land on the face.
    Now here is the fun part. With what force they actually land, is it 50% or 80% or 10%.

In that particular fight, while Canelo was blocking some, a lot of Bivols shots was able to penetrate Canelo guard and while not fully force, still land, which obviously is a scoring punch.
    And exactly vice versa. Bivol was blocking Canelo punches fully, most of the time with few uppercuts that he still blocked, but they managedd to slip his guard and land partially.

13. stormy

stormy Live and Learn Full Member

Mar 17, 2009
    The head, chest, and main trunk of the body are the scoring areas that are counted as the correct punch targets that are scored. The arms are not a scoring area. While punching the arms is not illegal, they are helpful in breaking down another fighter by limiting the punching ability of the one who is taking the arm blows.
    Is it effective aggression? In practical terms, one might see it as an effective technique if it has the intended effect, which is to damage the arms to limit your opponents punch output. There is no other way to assess if it is effective if it has no measurable impact on the other fighter.

It's Ovah and Mike_b like this.
  14. chacal

chacal F*** the new normal Full Member

Jun 21, 2015
    No matter if it is effective aggresion or not, most people, including judges, will think that your oponent is blocking your punches, rather than thinking that you are hitting his arms on purpose.

Effective strategy? yes, depending on the fight. But I dont like it because of what I mentioned. Body punches will get a similar effect and you will have a better image in front of the judges.

Heavy_Hitter and Mike_b like this.
  15. pepsiclassic

pepsiclassic Active Member Full Member

Aug 7, 2019
    no blocked punches arent scoring blows. if this is for you to show the person he's wrong.
    HEY RANDOM GUY THAT DISAGREED WITH OP... YOU'RE STUPID!!

if you arent showing this guy the thread and it's for your own. I feel this is an obvious question you should have known the answer to.
    I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

Heavy_Hitter likes this.