Do undercards on PPV's matter?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Holler, Dec 3, 2018.

Do you care about the quality of the undercard on a PPV?

1. Yes of course I want lots of great fights for my money

90.9%
  2. No, it's all about the main event, don't care what happens before that

9.1%
  1. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I've seen a lot of complaints about the undercard in Wilder vs Fury as well as people saying that they don't care, the main event is the only thing that matters when deciding whether to purchase it or not.

I'm in the first camp, I want an evening of great 50/50 contests to set the stage for the final event. If they're great and the final match sucks it takes the edge off as at least I've enjoyed the build-up.

I especially like it when a hitherto unheralded fighter makes a name for themselves on a big cad as it almost feels like you're witnessing a new force emerging in the division.

I've no interest in seeing the mismatches that littered the card the other night. In fact a poor undercard like that can put me off the main event as it feels like an insult, like our purchase is taken for granted.

What's your take on PPV undercards?

OvidsExile and Serge like this.
  2. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    As we approach another PPV and decide whether or not to fork out for it or join @Jurgen and peer through his neighbours curtains, it seems like a good time to continue the amazing discussion this post provoked.

3. Mynydd

Mynydd Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I don't think I can really add anything to what's already been said, but my two penn'orth is that if the undercard is unmitigated shite, then the £25 asking fee seems like an insult and I just go into the garden, burn £25, then go to send the video to the broadcaster before realising I forgot to take a video and have just burned £25 for no reason.

I like finding new fighters to follow on healthy undercards. I'm not the most knowledgeable on these boards so it happens often. And as you suggested, the main event is so often complete smeg that the only redeeming feature of the event might be a back-and-forth between two fellas who you've never heard of before.

I've just seen the contradiction between those two paragraphs. I want to find new fighters, but I don't want an undercard of nobodies. I feel like this thread was actually a better discussion before I jumped in with my size 11 idiot boots. Sorry pal.

LoadedGlove and Holler like this.
  4. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I would expect top entertainment for £24.99 including 3-4 very good undercard fights.

Don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.

Holler likes this.
  5. Mynydd

Mynydd Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I burn £25 because 99p is really hard to burn by the way.

George Crowcroft and Holler like this.
  6. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Undercards became really important when Tyson went to jail. Don King used to load his undercards with three or four world title fights. I loved that period.

For most of boxing history, though, undercards weren't a big deal (especially when Bob Arum is involved). Arum is notorious for bad undercards. When King was delivering a half-dozen title fights on a card, Arum was filling his undercards with Butterbean and Mia St. John.

Arum came up with Ali. And Ali's undercards were typically poor. Ali was the star.

7. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Glad I kept my 1p PPV fund intact

Holler and Mynydd like this.
  8. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    I'd say so.

AJ vs Ruiz 2
    Whyte VS Parker
    AJ vs Whyte

3 of the better cards I can think of.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  9. Scar

Scar VIP Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    It's a bonus as far as I'm concerned. 90% of the time the main event is what really attracts me.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  10. Lesion of Doom

Lesion of Doom Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2015
    I always hope for a good co-feature. My gripe is I hate showcase fights and would rather watch two less heralded top 10 guys go at it than show off a prospect in a mismatch.

J Jones and KingKO like this.
  11. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    That was a great fight.

Both haven’t been the same since.

12. timeout

timeout Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Depends on the main fight only.

Put it this way, I ain't ever bought a fight based on the undercard.

13. Power_tek

Power_tek Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
    I stand by my initial reply lol

14. Power_tek

Power_tek Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
    The best undercards are the ones that surprise you with controversy or unexpected displays of heart and determination.

Holler likes this.
  15. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019