Do you agree with this top 10 hardest puncher list

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Ali Holmes, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Kosst Amojan

Kosst Amojan Active Member banned Full Member

Dec 14, 2021
    Marciano is too low placed, should be higher than Dempsey, Duran and Liston. I miss McCleallan and Zarate, which are possible top 3. Also could be Moore in the top 5 at the least.
    The list is too Heavy lasty in my view.

Ali Holmes and LoadedGlove like this.
  2. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Lopez ahead of Gomez or Arguello or Olivarez ? Mind you, I'm going to have to Google Curtis Sheppard !

3. LoadedGlove

Dec 6, 2019
    Archie has to be in. It's difficult to take seriously otherwise.

4. OP_TheJawBreaker

OP_TheJawBreaker NOBODY hit like that guy! Full Member

Jun 23, 2021
    That's what I'm thinking, the rest of @George Crowcroft's list are somewhat fine but I can't see Lopez being top 10. What makes him think he is higher than other possible top power punchers such as Bob Foster, George Foreman, Jack Dempsey, Sandy Saddler, Ruben Olivares etc? In fact, Olivares who fought both Arguello and Lopez said Arguello hit him the hardest and I put Arguello somewhere #20 - #25. Anyway I still respect his picks but the fact Shavers is out of top 5 still bugs me....

LoadedGlove likes this.
  5. Kosst Amojan

Dec 14, 2021
    That's it! Zarate and McCleallan are for me the top guys.
    But there can be also rated Valero and Freitas, if we go by the knockout-rate (which is most likely the most objective method to measure it).
    Ketchel can be in it, but then maybe also Golovkin.
    Hardest puncher doesn`t mean to only use one single punch, it can be also connections (combinations).
    While Dempsey, Duran and Liston can be out; the first two were rather swammer, which usually didn't take the opponent out with just one punch. I would rate here Tyson over them, though who landed usually series, but showed against Botha that he can do it with one shot too.
    On the border of top 10 could be Hamed, who used to hit harder than many middleweights (perhaps top 15).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    Ali Holmes and LoadedGlove like this.
  6. Minotauro

Minotauro Boxing Addict Full Member

May 22, 2007
    Solid list especially with Walcott and Sheppard (everyone that fought him stated he was the hardest puncher they faced)

7. OP_TheJawBreaker

OP_TheJawBreaker NOBODY hit like that guy! Full Member

Jun 23, 2021
    The exact same thing happened to Earnie.

8. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    No, he was the KO king due to longevity, a great fighter & human being...
    But tons of folks hit harder for individual shots.
    Nobody described him as the hardest hitter in any division, or likely nearly so.

How *effective* he was for how long is another story entirely.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  9. Entaowed

Dec 16, 2012
    KO ration measures so many things-effectiveness, skill, accuracy, chin & defense to be able to get to the KOs, volume...
    How hard one hits is just one of so many factors.
    Also hardest puncher normally & literally means for individual shots.
    Pure raw force. From whatever mix of speed & heavy hands.
    Not enhanced by surprise or any technique beyond what the effect would be on a human if everyone landed the same punch in the same place & way.

Jackson should be way up there, harder than McClellan.
    Likely some tiny guy or 4 is at the top, because in lb. for lb.-like in lifting-it is basic physics that power does not go up as much per lb.

10. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Good list but I’d say Bob Foster has to be in there.

11. LoadedGlove

Dec 6, 2019
    Good points mate but he knocked out 1 in 3.

Entaowed likes this.
  12. Young Terror

Young Terror ★ Griselda ★ Full Member

May 9, 2012
    Ppl keep mentioning Sheppard in threads like this and rave about his power but other than his first round knockout of iron chinned Joey Maxim his knockout record is very underwhelming to say the least.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  13. Kosst Amojan

Dec 14, 2021
    Speed is power; the faster you hit that harder it it; therefore punched ﹰtyson and ﹰJones that hard.
    You shall it be more objective; with a punching-measure machine? ﹰThen hit perhaps ﹰﹰﹰﹰﹰﹰOﹰttke the hardest, as he was measured with more power than ﹰﹰﹰﹰAbraham.

In ﹰﹰLight-ﹰmittleweight (besides ﹰﹰhﹰearns, who was in ﹰﹰﹰwelterweight a better punchrr) maybe, in ﹰmittleweight hit ﹰﹰﹰmﹰcealllan clearly harder, he knocked one challenger in 20 seconds out, which is world record.ﹰ

14. Entaowed

Dec 16, 2012
    It is hard to understand what you are saying. Check the grammar & punctuation, & if English is not your first language, best to write it in your native language then put it through an Internet translator into English.

Speed is just one part of power. It also involves mass: the lighter classes are faster, but do not hit nearly as hard as the bigger men.
    Also leverage & the effectiveness of the kinetic chain.
    Besides technique, things like a large bone structure/wrists & large hands help transmit force.

Measuring with a machine is often very inaccurate.
    It does not account for clubbing power; also our own Janitor said he has seen girls get high scores, just by slapping at the bag!

You can move very quickly & transmit little force, & not so fast & be a devastating puncher.
    The latter much more likely if you are HW sized.

15. iamthegreatest

iamthegreatest Well-Known Member Full Member

May 4, 2020
    How about Gerald McClellan?

ikrasevic likes this.