Do You Believe That Riddick Bowe Could Have Stopped Foreman, In 1993?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Nov 23, 2022.

1. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Yes he was capable of it. Bowe had the tools. Problem is Foreman could find Riddick Bowe. He's right there, George's crafty counters, traps and experience would make this pretty competitive.
    Bowe might get hurt at some point. Wouldn't count Foreman out of this one though he should be the underdog. Riddick would need to be in top condition.

Smokin Bert, apollack and Levook like this.
  2. Sivaro

Sivaro Member banned Full Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Foreman finds the chinks in Bowe and KO's him. Bowe lasts 6 rounds.

3. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Agreed. Bowe would dish it out but he would also take some damage here.

4. Levook

Levook Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 26, 2020
    I agree with several others that Bowe could possibly KO George, but not very likely.

This would be a terrible fight for Foreman, when I picture it in my mind it just looks ugly as all get-out for big George. He would get the licking of his life.

If GF were prime, however - that would be a hell of a fight!

Man_Machine likes this.
  5. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Disagree

6. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    If anyone is scoring a stoppage win here, I think Bowe would have been far more likely to stop Foreman.

7. apollack

apollack Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Bowe likely stops old Foreman late. Bowe had pace, power, body work, length. Both had trouble with movers, but neither would move. Both had the power to hurt and deck the other. But I think Bowe had great recuperation, superior condition, and his faster, more consistent pace wears old George down over time. Might have been really fun and brutal early, but sad and painful late. All that said, there is an outside chance that Foreman could have stopped Bowe, but I think if he was to do it, it would have to be in the first 5-7 rounds. It is possible, because Bowe would be right there in front of him to be hit, and we do know that lighter punchers than George were able to hurt/deck Bowe.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    Fergy likes this.
  8. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Bowe via UD is the most likely outcome. He's not going to outslug Foreman (even at this stage of his career) as Foreman is too physically strong & durable for him to outmuscle, as well as being a cagey veteran with subtle tricks. He'll likely beat to Foreman the punch from the outside via jabbing & combinations - making it a distance fight.

Fergy likes this.
  9. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Answer is yes only if Bowe causes Big George's eyes and face to swell up a la Alex Stewart. Otherwise the fight would go to the cards.

Barm and Fergy like this.
  10. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Bowe has the quicker hands and those snappy combinations when he was sharp. With that said I have trouble seeing Riddick keep the fight on the outside, George would lure into midrange and inside which would be amazing to watch play out.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Foreman out jabbed Bowe. He probably couldn't pull the trigger on his powerpunches as fast Bowe would.

11. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    That's definitely a possibility, Stevie

12. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Sure...though I don't see Mike winning prime for prime.

Bowe would probably have lumped up comeback George at least as bad as Stewart, but I can't see a stoppage.

UD for Bowe, and it would be far more of a dominant (and for George fans, dispiriting) win than Holy had over Foreman.

Fergy likes this.
  13. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Definitely a different out come prime to prime.
    It's one of those fights on the old fantasy wish list!

14. techks

techks ATG list Killah! Full Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Could but not even Morrison, Briggs, Cooney or Holyfield knocked him down so highly unlikely. And he was more patient n defensive minded at that point as mentioned b4 me. He definitely could a young Foreman but Bowe is too war minded w leaky defense so he'd b on a suic1de mission trying. Young George was an assassin.

15. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    The best Bowe stops Foreman in about six rounds. It’s absurd how over rated Foreman 2 is on this forum.

Sangria likes this.