Do you consider Juan Manuel Marquez to be an ATG

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Addie, Sep 20, 2010.

1. prime

prime BOX! Writing Champion Full Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Hell, yeah. Juan Manuel Márquez is an all-time great.

He destroyed an all-time great in Manny Pacquiao.

Joe Frazier cemented his place as an all-time great by beating Ali. Same difference.

2. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Let's not get so carried away by his ko of Pac...Manny aint the fighter he used to be...and though I give JMM his deserved props for landing that big right hand, he's hardly an ATG,...like I said, he's lower case (meaning in weight division) of Jersey Joe Walcott. He got umpteen shots at a fading great and finally landed a big shot and won. Just like JJW finally landing that left against Charles. Did that make Walcott an atg? Or even a better fighter than Charles? Calling him the "greatest Mexican fighter ever" and an ATG is stretching a bit. I like him and consider him an excellent fighter, but otherwise, what's he done to brand him with atg status? He's an overachiever if anything. A dramatic ko dosen't lend you the mantle of greatness."ATG" is a vague and nebulous title nowadays.

3. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    Ali was far closer to prime than was Manny in that 4th fight with JMM. That disputed loss in Pac's previous fight should be an indicator that he's slipped.

4. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Cobra, if Marquez threw substantially less punches would he meet your criteria?
    This content is protected

5. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    JMM > Baby Face/El Terrible.:spy

6. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    You mean if he emulated the Master of Negative Creativity himself?:D

7. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    When you think of JMM, think "lower case JJW". That's what he is....and like I said earler, that's pretty gosh-darned good in itself, and an accurate assessment of JMM.

8. prime

prime BOX! Writing Champion Full Member

Feb 27, 2006
    No. When you think of Márquez, think that over 42 rounds he bested a guy some have called--however unwarranted or not--the greatest pugilist of all time. That is no fluke. THAT is perspective for a more accurate assessment. :good

9. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    Your whole point is based on that fallacy.

10. the cobra

the cobra Awesomeizationism! Full Member

Jun 30, 2008
    A KO win over the most accomplished fighter of his era (Manny's faded, fine, but he's still excellent and JMM proved he could stand on equal footing with the better version anyway), absolutely top notch longevity, a string of solid wins, success through 4 weight divisions, etc.

Yeah, I've got him as an ATG. Definitely. As far as Mexican ATG's go, I'd have him right next to Sanchez, honestly, and maybe even a spot higher. Top 5, there.

11. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    You clearly don't follow modern boxing or Marquez career too closely RC, here's a man who cleared out featherweight, beat the best at super featherweight and lightweight and beat his greatest rival of his era 4 times out of 4

Marquez>Monzon

12. Flea Man

Flea Man มวยสากล Full Member

Sep 7, 2008
    He did not 'clear out featherweight'!!!

He did not beat Manny '4 out of 4' either!

****s sake.

13. lora

lora Fighting Zapata Full Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Marquez above 130 is one of the most genuinely overrated fighters of all-time for me.

Still very good, mind, but still.

14. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    1. Sort of did
    2. HE Did

15. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    If you've got a sweet bippy lying around, you can take the mu****a out and bet it. :bbb

I really don't see what John Jacob Wingleheimerschmidt has anything to do with anything, RC.