Do you guys really believe Ali is goat

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by The Ripper, Jul 25, 2017.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2017
    I personally think Ali is a casuals or not even a fans goat just public opinion

2. shavers

shavers Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Ali is GOAT....Period

Eastpaw and reznick like this.
  3. Gannicus

Gannicus 2014 Poster of the Year Full Member

Mar 4, 2014
    In terms of greatness, he's one of the GOATs - latter part of Top 10. Greatest HW of all time, for sure.

pincai likes this.
  4. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    At HW? No doubt. But I think true GOAT is considered as SRR for most folk

5. pincai

pincai The Indonesian Thin Man Full Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Regardless what you think of his ability or how he would fare against modern heavyweight, Ali is the Man. He ducked no one, he fought his toughest challenges at the peak of their prowess. He fought all around the world. He is outspoken and one of the most recognised figure in the planet.
    Eventhough SRR is the greatest fighter, when you add up all things together Ali certainly has a case for that claim.

6. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sephiroth Rising 7 'No tears please!' banned Full Member

Sep 27, 2016
    GOAT trash talker and outside the ring antics.

Inside the ring he was nothing more than a very good slick Heavyweight.

7. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    I don't believe in GOAT's in any field, its all subjective regardless, who cares.

8. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Not even Chris Jericho?

aaalbert, The Ripper and CST80 like this.
  9. Skins

Skins Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 20, 2011
    He deserves the title. Fought everybody in their prime, fought all over the world, a real world champion. And enough of this "casual" nonsense

10. ipitythefool

ipitythefool Prediction ? Pain Full Member

Mar 17, 2017
    top 3 definitely. then it just comes down to style preferences. In my view his achievements were greater than SRR.

11. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Yes, I do (heavyweight, of course). And I'm not a casual.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  12. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    It's pretty clear Sugar Ray is the greatest ever, Ali even admitted as such.
    I personally think Ali hovers at around 5.

SRR
    Pep
    Louis
    Armstrong
    Ali

13. JeremyCorbyn

JeremyCorbyn Active Member Full Member

Jul 15, 2017
    For me, it isn't just his boxing skills, but his fight against the Vietnam War and his fight for the Civil Rights movement which puts him on an echelon above most normal sportsmen.

I can quite literally watch his interviews all day long, he was funny, interesting, deep and sometimes philosophical.

Okay, he wasn't always an angel, and occasionally he got it wrong, as anyone would when you talk that much in front of camera in difficult times, but if some one wants to call him not just the greatest boxer of all time, but the greatest sportsman of all time, well as a boxing fan I gotta say it feels me with a twinge of pride, and I certainly wont sit there and argue with them.

14. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Well... in the greatest era ever he was the #1 guy. He beat the men who beat the men.

15. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    For me anyway...the greatest of recent times. His cv was incredible when you think about it bearing in mind he had a 3 year lay off inbetween. Liston. Frazier and foreman are up their with anything the divisions seen...maybe all even making the top 10.

But it wasnt even his cv. Or even his talking or entertainment value. But his god given talent in a boxing ring. Hes actually scary to watch at times.

It was the sheer effortlessness of it all. The only thing close that i ve seen since was roy jones junior. But roys opposition wasnt quite what ali,s was. But his effortlessness reminded me of ali at times. But with ali it was like he threw them punches on command...it was almost unnatural to watch cause it was so natural if that makes sense.

Sugar ray robinson was the same tbf...but a bit before my time. From about alis time to now...for me the greatest of that time. Unbelievable god given talent. Sure i watched him dodging about 6 punches before. Just moved his head deftly making the opponent miss every single time. You cant train that.