Do you have to be a big punching pressure fighter to beat Hearns at 160 pounds?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by lufcrazy, Jul 1, 2020.

1. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I think it's quite easy to dismiss Hearns in MW fights due to the two brutal stoppages he suffered in his short stint there.

But is that a fair reflection on Hearns as a potential MW fighter?

Would other styles still defeat Hearns at the MW limit? For example could he be outboxed, could he be kept at range, could he be beaten from mid range?

The evidence we have screams he is a ko victim against almost anyone at MW, but can a convincing enough argument be made that this isn't the case?

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Possibles would include, Freddie Steele, Archie Moore,GGG,Kelly Pavlik,Nigel Benn,Stan Ketchel,
    Tony Zale,Canelo Alvarez.

Sorry misread it, I was providing the style named. Toney, Hopkins,Tiger?

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  3. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Toney vs Hearns is a really interesting style clash. I've always lazily picked Toney to win, but never actually considered it in detail.

4. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Tommy was one more shot from being ko'ed by Roldan,,, he can beat a lot of good middleweights but there's more that he can't.

5. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    This is how I usually see it.

Just wondering if I need to revisit.

6. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I wonder why he wasn't as good at middle as welter or 154 or even LHW.

7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Hearns would whip a lot of very highly related middleweights at his best. He was somewhat unfortunate to run into Hagler.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  8. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Nah, I don't think so. It does help, though.

Monzon was no search and destroy fighter, but if he turned it up on Tommy I can't see Hearns surviving. Same with Toney. Although I would pick Hearns to beat Giardello and B-Hop, it's not out the question for him to lose to both. I'd pick Freddie Steele to rip his head off too and he wasn't a brawler by any stretch.

On the flip side, not every brawler beats Hearns. Look at Dick Tiger, Hearns would give him hell, and he's one of the meanest SOBs MW ever produced. Same with LaMotta/Graziano/Zale. However, guys like Briscoe, Ketchel or indeed Barkley, would/did get to him differently, because they could explode forward from mid range. Hagler did it, and he had the chin and heart to facilitate the style.

I think someone who can explode forward from mid range is his real weakness. Preferably someone with upper echelon head-movement and power, but it's not gonna work without a great chin.