Do you know this amatuer fighter?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by LeonMcS, Nov 23, 2007.

1. LeonMcS

LeonMcS The Mayor of Kronkton Full Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Hi all.

I work on a minesite and recently met a young bloke from England who had just moved over to Australia with his family. Through a third party I was told hes an ex amatuer who did pretty well in England. He never bragged about himself or brought it up but when I asked him he was pretty happy to talk about his exploits, though not in a big headed way. The story is hes from Manchester way, is an ex golden gloves (do they even have those in UK?) champ. His name is Lewis Powell. Round about 18 or 19 years old.

Just wondering, you always hear that so and so did this or beat that guy, but hes a solid *******, a good mate and just curious to know. More or less I'm just wondering if the grapevine at work got too far ahead of itself, as usual.

Cheers, Leon

2. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Golden gloves is a junior regional championship in the north west designed for under 14's as far as i know.

3. LeonMcS

Aug 26, 2007
    Ok, cheers mate, that bit is starting to sound correct then.

4. eddie007

eddie007 Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2007
    It sounds as though you thought it was bollocks tbh.

5. LeonMcS

Aug 26, 2007
    I didn't doubt that he had fought, was just wondering about his accomplishments. As I said, he wasn't swaggering around boasting, quite the opposite. I was more interested in the veracity of the claims made by others. It can be a 'chinese whispers' scenario, where one original statement ends up being overexaggarated and magnified. For example, we have many ex army types who work underground, by the time they've finished their week long induction/training you can bet the guy who was a normal infantryman is now an ex SAS killing machine.
    The impression given to me (again, not by him) is that he was successful at a national level, so I didn't see any harm in asking if anyone is familiar or knows of him.

To be fair though, the grapevine had me pegged as a wanker from day one...

6. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Golden gloves could be national not to sure - sorry.