Do you roll out to the left and right?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by iksrtfo, Jul 2, 2007.

1. iksrtfo

iksrtfo Jedi Knight of Poon Full Member

Jan 30, 2005
    I was taught to roll out and step left after a left hook and roll out right and step right after ending with a right hand. I told my coach that when I roll to the left I get closer to my opponet and it feels awkward. He said that I can roll out to the right everytime no matter what punch I throw last.

Do you guys roll out both ways or toward your back foot?

2. WHU

WHU Member Full Member

Jun 18, 2006
    both ways........:good

3. BITCH ASS

BITCH ASS "Too Fast" Full Member

Jul 10, 2006
    iksrtfo.......

Put this music on http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=33126450

Then just start dancing around the heavy bag and imagine that someone was throwing at you.

Personally I like to duck and roll left if someone throws a left hook and do the opposite if it's a right hook, but of course it depends on the opponents height, and I have to change it up occasionaly, lest I get nailed with an uppercut.

That beat is tight as ****, huh?

4. boxbible

boxbible Active Member Full Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Learn to roll out to both sides after both your right hands and left hooks. Cos it'll depend on what your opponent is throwing back at you.

5. Pugsley

Pugsley Fat Bastard Full Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Rolling to the left is generally not 'safe' since like you say it puts your closer to your opponent's inside. But it is something you're gonna have to do in order to broaden your fight game. It takes practice and a bit of nerve to roll one side and back to other, but it is high reward when you realise that it gets you out of a lot of combinations/counters. If you roll into mid range, either maneuver out to the side, or go in to clinch. Never stay in one place for too long.