Do You See Larry Holmes Struggling, With Fury?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Fury v Holmes. Is Fury a fighter that Larry perhaps fails to work out and get the win?

Larry's a top 5 for me, he beats an absolute massive amount of Champs and contenders over history, so what's your verdict on this match.
    I'm actually half and half decided.
    Thoughts?

2. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Holmes takes him out late. Too much jab, and Fury won't be able to get out of the way of it.

3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Holmes wins.
    It might be a difficult fight though.

Reinhardt likes this.
  4. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    He struggled against all sorts of guys, and Fury may be the best we have these days. So I wouldn't bet in it being an easy night for Larry, whatever the outcome.

5. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He doesn't beat Fury, let me spell it out, Holmes would be forced backwards the whole fight, how the **** do you expect Holmes jab to land? I know he has arguably the best jab of all time, but Fury has a 7 inch reach advantage and Fury is 6 inches taller, it would be like trying to outjab the moon, ain't happening, plus Holmes stands straight up, he relies on outjabbing opponents, he would have to hope Fury falls short constantly and force him to lean in and give up his reach which Fury isn't stupid enough to do, Fury would stick the jab on Holmes, there is just no way Holmes would outjab Fury, Holmes has good footwork going backwards, but he can't get in quick and get back out, Holmes would be stuck on the outside, Cooney was stood in front of Holmes and gave up his height and reach and leaned in and Holmes was still able to use his jab, Fury would fence with it and keep it busy, there would be nothing Holmes could do

6. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Not keen on hypothetical match-ups, but it seems fairly safe to say that Fury would have been Holmes's best win if he won (and vice versa of course).

George Crowcroft likes this.
  7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Do you rate Fury better than Norton?

Rakesh and cross_trainer like this.
  8. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Of course .. Fury is much larger , has a huge reach, is fast and just as courageous as Holmes was .. Maybe Larry dices him up but if the ref allows Fury to hang all over Larry who knows .. one thing for sure and that is Fury is real.

9. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    This

kaapa2 and Reinhardt like this.
  10. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    So you believe that it's impossible to outjab Fury because of his size?

11. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    If he was 6'5 6'6 maybe, but there is a cutoff point, it's not like Fury doesn't know how to use his reach, I seen Holmes struggle to get his jab working against Carl Williams because he was an inch taller and Holmes looked like he didn't know how to land the jab against a taller opponent, he kept colliding lead hands with him and he looked lost a bit

12. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    Struggling with Fury? Absolutely. Fury's height and reach would work toward neutralizing Larry's best weapon. Deny Larry his jabbing superiority and it's going to be a real rough night for him.

Could he pull it off? Sure. He's an ATG. So is Fury. Toss any two ATG's in a ring and there's never a guaranteed result. I'd rank this one a tossup -- it would definitely be a great match.

13. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Yes I can see this fight being very difficult for Holmes. Does he win? Possibly. But Fury is a handful for just about anybody

mrkoolkevin, Clinton, Fergy and 2 others like this.
  14. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    So the cutoff must be 6'7" I'm guessing?:buenrollo:

Height can only make a difference if the talent and ability are there to take advantage of it.

Tyson Fury is little more than the reincarnation of Butterbean, and we saw how that played out when Holmes was 300 years old.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  15. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Was a bit hasty and forgot about Norton. Hard to say for sure before the dust is settled on Fury's career, but seeing how that was probably a slightly faded version of Norton I think you could say that. But, of course, if Usyk boxes Fury's ears off, Norton will probably be seen as a more difficult opponent for the boxer types.

Unforgiven likes this.