Do You Think Ali Was Scared For The 2nd Liston Fight?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, Jul 8, 2007.

1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I am satisfied that Ali was scared for the first Liston fight, and he wound all that fear and hysteria up into adrenaline.

What about the 2nd one?

Was Ali scared?

Or do you think he had arrived?

2. Jose FM

Jose FM Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2007
    He probably wasnt, cause this is Ali we're talking about here, but he probably was hesitant on fighting him again no question.

3. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I think anyone would have to be at least a little scared going in vs Liston.

Flash24 likes this.
  4. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Jack Johnson and Lennox Lewis would have been cool. Maybe Joe Louis.

Everyone else would be shitting it right enough.

But I think Ali, having already been in with him once, looked pretty good.

5. NickHudson

NickHudson Active Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I think Ali's conversion to Islam post Liston I, and subsequent belief in Allah's Will, gave him extra confidence and security over and above his natural ego.

Secondly, Ali was by now the champ and would have benefited from the experience of Liston I, both in terms of knowing he had his man covered, and the actual psychology of being the champ walking into the ring.

Although brashness and big-talking is often a sign of deep seated insecurity I believe Ali to have been a naturally confident man and that by Liston II he was very confident indeed.

Liston was a scary man, but I think Ali loved fighting this kind of opponent, slightly sluggish, and knew he had him covered.

All in all I think Ali was in good mental shape going into Liston II. I also believe him to have been in phenomenal physical shape, and the shortness of the fight robbed us of another Ali-Williams performance....shame.

6. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I think Ali had fear of fighters but knew how to handle it.

I think most fighters are more nervous and have more fear than they let off.

Bokaj likes this.
  7. doublesuited

doublesuited Taylor TKO2 Pavlik Full Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Robinson wasn't involved with the mob as extensively as Liston was.

8. doublesuited

doublesuited Taylor TKO2 Pavlik Full Member

Sep 15, 2005
    I know that it was revealed in the 1960 US Senate subcommittee that Liston's boxing contract was cut up in favor of Frankie Carbo (52%), Blinky Palermo (12%), John Vitale (12%), and two others not identified with 12% each.

9. la-califa

la-califa Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Liston was more afraid than Ali. Death threats were everywhere & Liston got out of there as soon as he could anyway he could. Acording to a story I read in Ring Magazine a few years ago.

10. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    I broke this down with some decent depth in Janitor's "Beware the Bum Of The Month Club", you should check it out if you're interested.

Liston was never a leg-breaker for the mob IMO, but he may have done some mencace work early one.

11. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Bro, Sugar did business with the mob. Liston was a little different. He'd worked with them from day one from day one. He'd seen what they could do from day one. And he was probably in a situation where he could be exposed as a ****** at any time by these guys. The mob cleared up a LOT of messes for Liston.

12. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Palermo and Carbo were not in official possesion of Liston's contract when he fought Ali (1st or 2nd), there was no-one in official possesion.

Never heard the Vitale thing, that's interesting.

13. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    First fight yes. Second fight absolutely not.

Ali at that stage realised he easily had the beating of Liston. I think he realised that Liston was an old, slow fighter and Ali already had the psychological edge by beating him relatively easily in the first fight. In Ali's biography "The Greatest" he mentions the fear he experienced going in with Liston the first time, but he didn't mention anything about fearing Liston in their second fight.
    He did mention the fear of hitmen or mob involvement in the second fight, but he mentioned nothing about fearing Liston.

red_roo likes this.
  14. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    I agree with you. Ali is like Louis in that, to me, he just LOOKS different once he has the title.

Interestingly, Ali probably didn't look afraid again until he fought Foreman - also as a challenger.

15. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    No, Ali wasn't scared. He had the perfect crew with him.People give Sonny this Suge Knight type of presence, and it is partially deserved, but there were a lot of cats not scared of him i.e Machen.