Do you think more than 1 boxer should be able to represent their country per division (Olympics)

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by bluebird, Apr 29, 2019.

1. bluebird

bluebird Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 17, 2009
    I'm not saying to have a tournament full of Cubans all in the same division, or Brits. Can cap it off at 2 or 3.. But It seems a tad unfair that only one fighter can represent each country for each division.

Do an open bracket tournament for qualifying.

POTUS likes this.
  2. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    POTUS and Ph33rknot like this.
  3. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Badbot likes this.
  4. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    It's a bit unfair, certainly when you have two outstanding boxers in the same division from one country, but changing the rules opens up a huge can of worms and Olympic boxing already has enough issues to deal with.

de Morhalle likes this.
  5. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    I think one boxer in each division should represent each country.

Fighters can go on a roll at just the right time. Ray Mercer, Evander Holyfield and Riddick Bowe did that. They didn't qualify until the box-offs (which no longer exist).

I don't like how countries today choose their Olympic squads basically a YEAR in advance and some countries only get a couple fighters who qualify.

de Morhalle likes this.
  6. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Nah

7. de Morhalle

de Morhalle Member Full Member

Dec 1, 2018
    Well the question defeats the whole point of Olympic Boxing . The whole point of Olympics is nations competing . It would turn Olympic Boxing into something like the World Series where only like 2 nations competed , also if we had multiple boxers from the same nation Olympic Boxing would drag on and on . Keep it simple and sweet . Don't do to Olympic Boxing what has happened to Professional Boxing by adding more problems to it .