Doctor Reacts to Tony Ferguson Nearly breaking his arm

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by mark ant, Dec 21, 2020.

1. mark ant

mark ant Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 4, 2017
    A doctor on a vid explains how Fergie nearly got his arm broke from the armbar, should the ref always stop a fight before a break can happen via an armbar?
    This content is protected

2. miniq

miniq Big Stiff Idiot Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm sure he would have broke free of the armbar, got up and flung his flacid broken member of an arm like a flail into his opponent's cranium rendering him unconscious.

Suspect.chin likes this.
  3. Samart'sTeep

Samart'sTeep Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2019
    It's kind of a hard question because there have been times where fighters have gotten their arms broke or joint dislocated and come back to win fights. Forrest Griffin did it in a fight before he got to the UFC, if I remember correctly. Also, we don't want referees stopping fights prematurely. There are times that a submission looks completely locked in and the fighter finds a way to miraculously get out of it.

At the same time, there are examples where referees have saved a fighter's career by stopping a fight after a break despite the fighter wanting to continue. Remember Frank Mir breaking Tim Sylvia's arm and Herb Dean stopping the fight? The entire crowd was about ready to start a riot in anger until they saw the replay where Sylvia's arm clearly snapped.

It's a hard question because these are grown men who make a decision to risk their health and even possibly their life for their dreams and monetary compensation. They're consenting adults, and they need to be treated as such. At the same time, someone has to protect them from themselves. Imagine if the referee didn't stop the fight when Sakuraba broke Renzo's arm in the kimura just because he refused to tap. That's one good way to get this sport banned for good, and none of us want that.

At the end of the day, it needs to be up to the referees discretion. I like the way it is now, tbh. I don't want the sport to turn into something where every time something looks close, they stop it. That would take the fun out of the game. Remember when Tony Ferguson caught Kevin Lee in a belly down armbar and Kevin jumped across Tony's body on the other side to escape? I've used that escape myself in bjj sparring. You have to give people a chance and let grown men make their own decisions but you also need to have someone there to stop it once it goes too far.

4. Suspect.chin

Suspect.chin Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2017
    No refs shouodnt always stop fights before a break can happen as that wouod be too hard to judge.
    Its the fighters responsibility to tap.
    Plus, snapped limbs spice things up a bit and make for good entertainment.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020