Does A Prime Marciano Beat The Joshua Of Today?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mcvey, Apr 27, 2017.

1. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Rocky fought many people who were bigger than him and didn't have to punch like Wlad. It's a style thing, not an opponent thing.

Wilder is someone who swings for the fences while fighting the same kind of opponents as Wlad.

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Wilder's opposition has been some way below Wlad's!

3. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    But not proven against class big heavies.

4. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    No.

But if you look at the results of his fights, and the condition of his opponents, it looks like a SHW monster traveled through a time machine and ravaged the division.

5. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Yes Wlad had more physical power, I grant you, but it's not so easy utilising it against such an awkward low down target. Think of Carnera, he hit guys his own size right through the canvas but he just could not nail shorter guys so easily.

Wilda himself, for all his power was a lot more like "Bambi on ice" when he got hit back though.

6. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Wilder opposition has been some way below Primo Carnera too.

7. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Yes. I think you need to demonstrate toe to toe. You seem confused. Joshua could not break through when Wlad had ring centre. It was nothing to do with brute force, it was to do with holding the centre and boxing. No power or durability came into it. This is a boxing forum, and what I am telling you here is text book explanation of boxing. For you to say "no" like that just shows you either have no argument or this strategy explanation is way over your head. It's a pity because boxing is not rocket science.

8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    If I look at the results of his fights I can see several hiccups , men surviving to hear the final bell who should not have. Men that were finished off by other guys.

9. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Wlad was/is an athlete. Carnera was a sideshow. Wlad had balance, coordination, extension... a great transfer of power through his whole body. Carnera was just a lug. His size didn't transfer into great power, as is often the case with the overgrown type.

Since this thread is about Marciano, I need to ask, was Wlad ever put on the canvas by a lightheavy?

mrkoolkevin and mcvey like this.
  10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I would put :
    Stiverne
    Duhaupas
    Arreola
    Washington in with a 50,50 chance against Carnera in fact I would make Stiverne and Washington favourite to beat him.

11. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Do you really want me to do that math and compare height, weight and records between Rocky's opponents and Waldo's? Really? I don't think you'd appreciate the numbers. But then again, you have your alternative facts.

mcvey likes this.
  12. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I agree with this but I think that the biggest difference is that Wlad, due to his size and technique, didn't need to sell out on his punches to dominate and stop his opponents, whereas Marciano did.

Seamus likes this.
  13. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    No.

14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Carnera only actually ko'd one guy his size,Campolo, Campolo also went the distance in another fight. Santa was tko'd, and he was stopped 7 times including by 4 fight Impelletiere,and Salvatore Ruggirello whose ko% was 28%

Novice Impelletiere gassed out for a tko .Do you just pluck these statements out of the air?

15. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Just the other night you apologised when you discovered impelletiere had more fights than is listed on Boxrec, but today he was a four fight novice again. How so?

Campolo beat Arturo Godoy. He was no muppet.