Does AJ hit harder than Vlad did?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by The Townsend, Dec 9, 2020.

1. The Townsend

The Townsend Zeus. Full Member

Mar 21, 2019
    Really a question for the people who have studied Vlads fights.l and studied his one punch and combination power.

Curious as Ive watched the Pulev fight twice and Pulev took Vlads shots pretty well until the left hook came along.
    I wonder If AJ hits Pulev with his combinations will Pulev be able to last the 12 rounds? Or be on the canvas before and quicker than Vlad did.

2. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Wladimir is an ATG puncher with both hands.

Joshua is heavy handed but I think he relies more on combinations and speed whereas Wladimir genuinely had that one hitter quitter.

3. Vegan Beast

Vegan Beast Grandpappy Ortiz Full Member

Aug 19, 2020
    I think Wlad hit a bit harder, but AJ can output almost as much power with with higher frequency.

4. fistsof steel

fistsof steel Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Prime Wlad hit harder.!!!

5. AdamT

AdamT Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Wlad has very heavy hands

Straight right and left hook

As a poster above states, AJ is more combination puncher, with a mix of power and speed. He obviously has heavy hands, but wlad hits harder

6. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    AJ clearly has good power, more than enough. But Wlad had the real dynamite.
    Wlad is weird because he had the physical ability of a brutal predator, combined with the mind of a white liberal female.

I think Pulev survived so long only because he is tough. Wlad was dropping him with clean bombs that would probably KO many other fighters on the spot. Pulev ate over a handful of full power RHs and leaping LHs to the jaw before being felled for the count.

So it will definitely be interesting to see how he can handle AJ's shots, but at the same time Pulev is now 40 years old, so not sure how that will change his ability to absorb damage.

Regardless, prime Wlad is vastly superior to prime AJ. The idea of prime Wlad losing to Ruiz is just impossible to imagine.

7. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    I don't see Joshua knocking out Pulev with one shot. We'll see though.

BCS8 likes this.
  8. chico g

chico g What are you staring at Mr Trump?! hahaha! Full Member

Oct 18, 2008
    If there was a fighter that I think could KO the likes of Parker and Ruiz cold. Then it would be Wlad. He was shot till the time the bodybuilder picked on him.

BCS8 likes this.
  9. SmackDaBum

SmackDaBum TKO7 banned Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    If you combine Wilder's right hand with Whyte's left hook you get pretty close to the power of Wladimir - but still not all the way.

10. heerko koois

heerko koois Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
  11. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Active Member banned Full Member

Nov 8, 2020
    wlad may indeed be the harder puncher, but it doesnt really matter when you are that reluctant to let your hands go.
    you can have the greatest right in the history of the world but what difference does it make if your plan is to jab everyone to death.
    Deontay Wilder got dominated in 2 fights by Tyson Fury, but he still managed to knock the taste out of Furys mouth the two time he did land a punch.
    now imagine what Wlad might have done if he had actually thrown a punch or two in those 12 dreadfully awful rounds against Fury.....but again, what difference does it make how great a puncher you are when you dont actually throw any punches.

Glass City Cobra and BCS8 like this.
  12. Yaiyr Alexander

Yaiyr Alexander Member banned Full Member

Sep 3, 2020
    Wlad has more power per shot similar to wilder but Aj still has powerful heavy hands and can throw combinations which lead to more damage output somewhat similar to forman

Glass City Cobra, reckless and TipNom like this.
  13. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    AJ is obviously a huge unit and hits very hard indeed but this really shouldn't even be a question because Wlad clearly hit harder. AJ is not a one punch KO kind of guy, whereas Wlad was with both hands and he put people to sleep with single shots from either hand or with combinations which is something AJ has never done even with his speedy combinations with are his forte.

Look at how many flush bombs in quick succession it took AJ to put Povetkin over. IIRC it was like 8 or something and that was a 39 y/o way past his best Povetkin albeit still formidable who'd already been badly hurt by the first right hand, whereas, conversely, Wlad dropped a prime Povetkin with a single left hand that was so short the casuals couldn't distinguish it from a jab.

Stopping a Pulev who turns 40 in six months faster than Wlad did shouldn't act as a gauge of the respective power either because not only was Pulev in his prime then but Wlad was a few months shy of his 39th birthday and was clearly past his. Pulev is tough but he never would've made it out of that first round against a prime Wlad and I even remember thinking to myself at the time that Wlad was missing with shots in that first round that would've landed with ease a few years earlier and that was the only reason Pulev was able to navigate his way to the end of that round because he was badly hurt.

Even Hughie ''Like I say'' Fury hurt Pulev a couple of years ago and that wasn't Hughie Fury 4.0 who has found his man strength now and is hitting much harder than before. Hence why many within the travelling community think he's going to spark the iron-jawed Wach out cold on Saturday night albeit, again, Wach's punch resistance can't be what it once was given how he, like Pulev, resides in an old people's home.

This content is protected

CST80 likes this.
  14. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Wlad was the sharper, crisper puncher, and the more naturally explosive. Joshua might be slightly heavier handed and seems to have the harder uppercut, but almost every other punch is lesser in power.

Wlad's real killer was his timing though. He'd tenderise fighters with his jab and then lower the right when they were thoroughly demoralised.

15. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    This