Does Andy Ruiz Jr. punch harder than Anthony Joshua?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Southside Slugger Full Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Agreed. Vitali's power was nothing like Wlad's. Chris Byrd, who fought them both, said that "Wlad punches 3 times harder than Vitali" and "that man can PUNCH". Wlad had ATG power, comparable with any heavyweight puncher from any era, including Wilder.

2. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Yeah effectively its difficult to say who hits harder with precision should be used the machinery.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. 3rdegree

3rdegree Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Andy's knockdowns(aside from the first one) had more to do with the speed and accumulation of his punches. The combination punching was unlike anything Joshua had seen, and as a result he clumsily slumped to the canvas in an attempt to escape the onslaught.

4. derrick

derrick 6ft4 215 bring it on Full Member

Dec 31, 2004
    I do not think Ruiz is that hard of a puncher. Joshua has more power for sure. Ruiz has speed on his punches and Joshua can't take a punch at all. Ruiz knows how bad Joshua's jaw is and he was shocked by how fragile Joshua is. Joshua has been exposed much the same way Price was. Joshua will never be the same fighter again. Ruiz is going to KO his glass chin again. Joshua knew he didn't have a chin that is why he never fought Wilder. Joshua's big pay days are over after RUiz exposes him once again. And I got news for you Wilder's chin is not much better. I think Ruiz would KO Wilder's glass chin ass as well.

5. derrick

derrick 6ft4 215 bring it on Full Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Well that is not saying much. After Joshua's glass jaw gets exposed again by Ruiz I would like to see Joshua vs. David Price. Both exposed UK bums seeing who can land first. To be honest I think Price would beat Joshua at this point. But it would be fun while it lasted. I still want to see Joshua vs. Wilder. I think WIlder would take Joshua out in the first round. Joshua is just to damn easy to hit. Joshua is Frank Bruno all over again. All muscled up but lacks a chin or stamina.

don owens likes this.
  6. Boxcel

Boxcel Member Full Member

Jan 31, 2019
    No he doesn't. His punches were pretty slappy against Joshua, which is due to a lack of physical strength. Compare with Joshua's more ramrod punches which is due to his strength. Of course at 270 pounds with his hand speed, those punches still have KO power.

7. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    They have numerous common opponents amateur and pro

AJ W 15-11 Zhang Zhilei
    Zhang Zhilei W 28-9 Ruiz Jr.

AJ W AB 1 Juan Isidro Hiracheta

Ruiz Jr. W AB 2 Juan Isidro Hiracheta

AJ TKO 2 Kevin Johnson

Ruiz Jr. WUD 10 Kevin Johnson

AJ TKO2 Zumbano Love

Ruiz Jr. WUD8 Zumbano Love

AJ WUD 12 Joseph Parker

Joseph Parker WSD Ruiz. Jr

But Joseph Parker says that Ruiz hits harder

'When quizzed about Joshua's claims, Parker's trainer Kevin Barry responded: "Joe mentioned to me afterwards, saying 'It was funny, I thought the guy would hit harder than he actually did'.

"There's no reason for him to lie to me. He said that Andy Ruiz hit a lot harder than Joshua.

"But we knew that coming into the fight. Anthony Joshua is a not a one punch knock out guy, he's not going to knock you out with one punch, he is going to hit you with three or four punches and I think we saw that last night.

"He's a big guy and he has got muscles upon muscles but that doesn't mean you are the heaviest puncher in the world.'

So their respective performances against common opponents suggests AJ hits harder but common opponent Parker says Ruiz does albeit he did say in another interview that he doesn't think AJ caught him with his best shot. Ruiz's shots do look and sound heavy when he's hitting the pads

This content is protected

Wlad hit ridiculously hard with both hands but he didn't load up and swing from the fences like a maniac or put everything into his straight right trying to decapitate you like Bum Squad does. Vitali was very heavy handed but Wlad clearly hit harder and the later had obviously lost some speed and snap with age.

Ya'll must've forgot

Arreola said that Vitali's shots were really heavy and thudding and that he was ''mad strong'' and listen to what Gerald Washington says at the end of the video about sparring Wlad and how he was able to generate huge power from a short right hand without even loading up at all.

Look at that short little left hook Wlad dropped Povetkin with, a younger and fresher Povetkin that the one AJ fought and then compare that with the amount of shots it took for AJ to drop a 39 y/o Povetkin. AJ cracked Povetkin with about 7 or 8 power punches in quick succession before Pov inevitably went down and he'd been badly hurt by the first right hand which you don't see in this clip.

I remember when Roy Jones and Max Kellerman were arguing about who hit harder out of Kovalev and Bivol. Roy was of the opinion Bivol did and Max obviously thought it was Kovalev and of course he was correct lol