Does anyone actually think Ruiz is the best HW in the world?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by andrewa1, Jun 2, 2019.

1. RingKing75

RingKing75 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Dec 23, 2013
    I thought Ruiz won but I didnt think it was a huge robbery even if I did make it sound that way. I can see people having it for Parker but I didnt. You didnt want a rematch but looking back at it now Parker did much better than AJ did. Parker was never in any big trouble that fight and took Ruiz` best shots. I don't think its a good idea for AJ to do an immediate rematch. Id be stunned if he beats Ruiz. I say this because it looked like AJ simply couldn't see the punches coming. He had a lot of trouble with the hand speed and simply could defend himself when he would miss. It was bad.

Sephiroth Rising 7 and Rockradar like this.
  2. Antsu

Antsu Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    I see it being boring fight where Fury out boxes Andy from outside

eltirado likes this.
  3. eltirado

eltirado Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Then a Fury shows up vs Wilder with more belts...Glorious build up

4. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    He’s one of the best. He’d beat Wilder, and lose to Fury and Usyk. Joshua is 50/50 with Wilder. Fury will beat Wilder again, and would lose to Joshua. Usyk would beat Joshua and Wilder, and lose to Fury.
    You’re an idiot if you think there is a single best heavyweight in the world. They could all beat each other, and in the heavyweight division it only takes one punch. Ruiz has the best speed and combination punching apart from maybe Usyk. He might have the best chin out of anyone.

kandamrgam and Luis Fernando like this.
  5. PIRA

PIRA Arise Sir Lennox. Full Member

Mar 30, 2007

They weren't NZ judges, the US judge gave it to Parker if I recall correctly.

Rockradar likes this.
  6. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2017
    I don't get it! You say Ruiz has 'appalling conditioning'. And then later go on to pick guys who have shown worse conditioning in Povetkin and Dillian Whyte against Anthony Joshua to beat him based on that reason?

How the hell does Ruiz have 'appalling conditioning' when he literally out-punched and out-threw Joshua and never looked as tired as either a shot Povetkin or a scrubby Dillian Whyte did?

The division is pss poor. None of these guys are anything good. But Ruiz is better than all those guys you mentioned, outside of maybe Pulev who beats him. And Povetkin is now irrelevant as a 40 year old at the top level. Ruiz did much better against AJ than shot Povetkin did.

7. Rockradar

Rockradar Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Of all the champions I can think of, and with all respect to our champ, but I think Andy Ruiz has the worst physique in the history of boxing heavyweight champions.

kandamrgam likes this.
  8. madballster

madballster VIP Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2009
    And Buster Douglas did much better against Mike Tyson than pretty much anyone before him, yet he didn't beat anyone of them.

You are extrapolating everything off a single fight.

kandamrgam likes this.
  9. Luis Fernando

Aug 23, 2017
    No, I'm really not! I'm going iff tons of historical evidence where 40 year old heavyweights become irrelevant at the top level. Why should Povetkin be the exception (unless you think he is somehow extra special compared to all other past heavyweights).

Mike Tyson in his late 30's was losing to bums and jounryemen like Danny Williams and Kevin McBride.

Then you have Evander Holyfield in his late 30's / 40's losing to run of the mill heavyweights like Larry Donald and even John FREAKING Ruiz.

Then you have Ali in a similar age, losing to the likes of Trevor Berbick and Leon Spinks.

The list goes on and on.... And it specifically applies to shorter heavyweights that rely on a more demanding and a youthful style.

Mind you. I'm not at all talking about a PRIME Povetkin here but the current 40 year old one. The current 40 year old one is inferior to the prime Andy Ruiz Jr we have today.

On top of all this, Andy Ruiz Jr is faster, quicker, more elusive and has better combination punching than any of those guys like Dillian Whyte. I find it funny that you mention Whyte of all people, who is as horrible a boxer as they could possibly ever come. Almost nonexistent coordination and balance, and as slow as molasses.

10. LaidOut

LaidOut Whaaaaat? Full Member

Mar 2, 2009
    I agree with this. We can say Ruiz is fat, but we can't say he has 'appalling conditioning', because he proved to still be physically fit enough to outbox and outslug AJ in round 7! If he has appalling conditioning, then what does that say about Schwarzenegger AJ, who was drained after the third round? Just give him credit that he can fight, and over many rounds. I'm not saying he "looks" great, but he damn sure didn't let that get in the way of him dethroning AJ in spectacular fashion.

Luis Fernando likes this.
  11. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    No of course not this was a case of a champion taking his opponent lightly fighting like and idiot and getting KO'ed because of it. Much like when Lewis fought like an idiot vs Rahman in Africa. Nobody really thought Rahman was the best in the world at the time and nobody now thinks Ruiz is now.

12. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Really? Ruiz outboxed him, he outskilled him, out toughed him and out punched him. Joshua got beaten and made to look inferior on every level. Rahman didn't do that to Lewis. I think Ruiz might be the best in the world, the only questions I have is him against Fury (the size with the footwork) and Usyk (the skill and the footwork). I think Ruiz would do the same thing to Wilder, and many consider Wilder the best heavyweight in the world.
    Rahman had been knocked out multiple times before the Lewis bout. Ruiz should probably be undefeated, but he fought Parker in New Zealand.
    Anybody ruling out Ruiz from being the best heavyweight in the world aren't doing it from a position of logic or evidence.

PIRA likes this.
  13. andrewa1

andrewa1 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Then I guess we shouldn't bother ranking hw's moron. Styles make fights, but some fighters deserve higher rankings than others. Ruiz merits no more than #3.

Oh, and you are an idiot to think AJ would stand a chance against Fury. He couldn't deal with the slower Ruiz, fury has always been the worst possible matchup for AJ.

14. Luis Fernando

Aug 23, 2017
    The thing is, a lot of people don't seem to realize that the level of conditioning of an athlete, has no direct relevance to their physique in terms of how they look or how fat they are. A person can be fat and be very well conditioned with lots of stamina. Likewise, a person can be skinny or be very muscular and have nonexistent stamina.

If Andy Ruiz is fat but it's never affected his stamina or conditioning in the ring, then why does anybody need to complain about his fat?

PIRA and Angler Andrew like this.
  15. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    I think they all beat each other on the day and will all have a loss at some point as they should.it's been said before but Floyd's unbeaten run didn't do much good for boxing imo as all the greats took losses so it's entirely unrealistic to think this crop can go unbeaten imo.