Does anyone believe Fraziers greatness took a hit with his losses to Foreman?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by TheSouthpaw, Sep 28, 2013.

1. TheSouthpaw

TheSouthpaw Champion Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    He did lose to Ali twice as well...But if your a Frazier fan those Foreman fights are hard to watch..So ids Joe underrated at all!?

2. hookfromhell

hookfromhell Well-Known Member Full Member

May 5, 2011
    Frazier would win or do well against most fighters once he starts smoking.
    Foreman was such a beast though. I mean the losses especially the first were
    so devastating you can argue that it takes something away from Joe.
    I believe it proves what Joe was made of. Who takes a beating like that then actually
    rematches? Joe had all the heart in the world. He could be hurt early, but once he started going his style was beautiful and deadly.

3. BillB

BillB Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Frazier was an excellent fighter for a brief period of time.
    I wouldn't call him a great.

4. TheSouthpaw

Jul 21, 2012

Foreman WAS a beast!..He took a pretty good beating from Ali in the 1st fight and they rematched..And Yes Joe did have All the heart..:bbb

5. Vince Voltage

Vince Voltage Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 1, 2011
  6. TheSouthpaw

Jul 21, 2012
    Ofcourse what did!?:huh

7. TheSouthpaw

Jul 21, 2012
    He beat Ali in a fight where they were both undefeated..I think that makes him Great!

8. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Yes seeing Joe Frazier dominated like that was a blow to his reputation. He was undefeated at the time and favored to beat George Foreman. Joe was viewed as a little tank that kept chugging forward and really couldn`t be stopped until he faced the "wrecking balls" of George Foreman.

I will say that as bad as that loss was seeing Joe get back up time and again confirmed what his fans already knew. Frazier had a titanic heart. He was just as amazing in defeat as Foreman was in victory.

Not many fighters would be able to take 50% of those bombs square.

9. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    You can't pretend those one-sided beatings did not happen, so yes it affects his standing. He was a great fighter for one magic night, but his record against the other two greats he met is ,one win, four losses, three by stoppage.

10. ribtickler68

ribtickler68 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Would you call Ali great?

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Great but not prime when he lost to Frazier.

12. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    If he'd never boxed at all till FOTC and never boxed again, that would have at least got his name mentioned in the same sentence as great.

13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    He acheived greatness that night.imo

14. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    FOTC 1971 was a career defining fight and victory for Frazier.

15. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Frazier could only be effective one way. Essentially he was a one trick pony on offense. He had a great left hook. He did not jab well, he did not cross well with the right, and seldom used an uppercut.

But with Frazier's speed, stamina and heart, a hard left hook took him far. His trouble was he could only be effective as a forward moving aggressor type. Joe did not have a good chin, and wasn't very defensive. We saw the result when he ran into a bigger and stronger puncher.

Yes--I think the fight moves him down a notch. Have two other great heavies been matched with such a short result? How many heavies could win 1 of 5 matches vs Ali and Foreman, as Frazier did?