Does anyone believe Fraziers greatness took a hit with his losses to Foreman?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by TheSouthpaw, Sep 28, 2013.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Lamotta threw the Fox fight.:huh

2. Germanicus

Germanicus Active Member Full Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Frazier is one of my favorite Heavyweight Champions. He didn't have the physical gifts of many, but the heart that pumped inside the mans chest was indeed fearsome. As many have noted Frazier was never the same fighter after the FOTC. And Foreman will have always had his number. Still I have Frazier in my top 10 all time Heavyweights.

I think back to the 6th round in Manila, and still to this day think that 2 Frazier left hooks that landed on Ali's jaw may be the hardest punches I have ever seen. The sickening sound of those punches smacking against Ali's jaw through the roar of the crowd, and seeing Ali go limp against the ropes made for a memorable fight.

Some have argued that Joe Frazier was mearly great for 1 fight. The FOTC was his crowning achievement yes, but he had laid his claim to the best fighter in the division in Ali's absence over the preceding 3 years. Very few fighters in history would have stood a chance against Joe Frazier on March 8th 1971.

3. 15thRound

15thRound New Member Full Member

Mar 3, 2015

This is ridiculous. The Ali who Frazier beat was MUCH better than the disinterested Tyson who Douglas beat and let's not even talk about the Ali who Spinks beat.

Douglas had one great night, but did little else. Frazier beat all the top fighters in his division from 1967-71. Douglas got KOed by one punch and didn't attempt to get up when he could. Frazier got up 6 times when he lost and the referee had to stop the fight. Douglas lost his title after holding it for a few months and disappeared. Frazier was an undefeated champion for 5 years. After losing his title, he came back with some quality wins and had two more close fights with Ali.

4. clark

clark Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2005
    :thumbsup

5. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Oh, I totally agree with you. My point was in reference to a previous poster saying "once an ATG, always an ATG" and seemingly making it sound like Frazier was an ATG simply and only because of his performance in the FOTC (yes, Ali in that fight was probably better and definitely more motivated than Tokyo Tyson).

Of course Buster Douglas doesn't have nearly as impressive a resume as Joe Frazier. And, yes, Frazier's ATG status was certainly cemented by the FOTC.

In judging fighters we have to take several years and fights into consideration, as you did in your post.

6. Alexandrow Vids

Alexandrow Vids Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Frazier will always remembered by the Ali fights not his losses against Foreman
    and Foreman itself will more remembered as the oldest HW Champion +
    his reputation of the hardest Punching and strongest human in history of Boxing.

7. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    I loved Frazier but his basically one armed attack does not warrant ATG status.

8. amhlilhaus

amhlilhaus Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    he beat a great in ali, convincingly when no one else did. dominated everyone else except ali and frazier, sounds like a great to me.

9. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    No he didn't
    Spencer
    Mildenberger
    Terrell
    Garcia
    Liston
    Martin
    Foreman
    Urtain
    Foster. M
    Patterson
    Peralta
    Jones
    Cooper
    Lewis
    Are just some of the rated fighters in that time scale that he did not fight.
    What hurts Frazier's legacy more than the Foreman defeats imo is the fact that after defeating him he avoided Ali and defended against two unranked journeymen.

BTW. The Douglas that beat Tyson would have given FOTC Frazier a very hard nights work indeed!

10. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    Cannot agree more, now Ring Magazine changed their history, erased Frazier's Undisputed Championship victory , over Jimmy Ellis, 2/16/70. Now! Recognizing Muhammad Ali as the World Champion up to "Battle of the Century?"-Did not happen that way!

11. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    No, you're right it didn't happen that way.....but the fruit flies in this and the general forum, and the suckers that buy a rag like today's ring magazine don't have the knowledge or the attention span to know any difference.

12. Foxy 01

Foxy 01 Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 23, 2012
    I suppose it all depends on whether or not you believe titles recognised in 5 or 6 Murican states constitute WORLD title status.

Because up until Ellis, that is all Frazier won, and defended.

If so the European football championships are being held next year and the winners might just as well proclaim themselves World Champions and say screw the America's, Africa, and the rest of the planet.

13. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Not really. I think Foreman was just a terrible matchup for him.

14. yancey

yancey Active Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Answer to topic question is "none."

It was a terrible style match up for Frazier.

He actually proved what a truly great warrior he was by getting up from murderous punches from a hellacious puncher. I know the simpletons won't understand that, but it is true.

Joe should have retired immediately after the FOTC. He was emotionally done after that fight and never got back into the razor sharp shape he needed to fight more physically talented guys like MA and GF.

p.s. And the second JF-GF encounter shouldn't even be taken into consideration. Frazier was an empty shell of a fighter at that point.

15. Foxy 01

Foxy 01 Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 23, 2012
    I don't you think you will find a single post on this forum ( and possibly not anywhere on the internet ) disputing Frazier's bravery.

The simpletons are the ones who state this automatically grants him ATG status. The unbiased simply debate his right to said AT greatness.