Does anyone believe this sparring story from Johnny Nelson?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by CutThroatFade, Dec 13, 2018.

1. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    This content is protected

How come he didn't mention this before Klitschko-Fury or before Wilder-Fury? Or when Haye and Fury were on Ringside?

Judging by his mannerisms after Kugan calls him out and also his flapping when Kugan asks about Tyson's age at the time, I think this can be filed under the bull**** file as yet another load of nonsense from the number one shill and number one pudding on Sky Sports Boxing.

velagod and 305th like this.
  2. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Although he didn't go pro for a few years later Tyson was quite well known around the mid 00's as a serious prospect. I remember reading about him around the same time Nelson was signed to fight Maccarinelli which ultimately fell through.

Could have happened. He seems pretty complimentary about Tyson in fairness.

3. SambaKing1993

SambaKing1993 Don't do it Zachary! Full Member

Sep 17, 2018
    It's very strange why he has never told this story before.

But surely he wouldn't lie, even though I got the same impressions as you. If he was lying, then he just opens himself up to be a lying attention seeker when Kugan inevitably asks Tyson about it. So I doubt he's made it up.

Again, very strange why he hasn't told this story before.

S.K likes this.
  4. CutThroatFade

May 25, 2015
    I reckon if it did happen he got absolutely schooled by a 16-year old Tyson and so was happy to bury the story and is now just bringing it up so he can say he always rated Tyson (when he has derided him previously).

I still find it hard to believe and wouldn’t be surprised if Nelson is talking ****. Maybe he did some light training with Tyson and has embellished the story now. As you reiterated, it makes zero sense not to have mentioned this previously as Nelson has done dozens of interviews and features on Ringside about Fury.

SambaKing1993 likes this.
  5. Cairney30

Cairney30 Member Full Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Tyson did train at Brendan’s gym after hughie died so it is possible they sparred

Read an interview that Tyson says about ingle saying they only way to beat him is to nail him to the floor I’m sure manny said the same?

6. CutThroatFade

May 25, 2015
    Yes that quote from Brendan Ingle is indeed true. But it was from recent years. Johnny is claiming he sparred Tyson when Tyson was 15/16. And then quickly changed that to 18, and Nelson was retired by then. He either got schooled by a schoolboy Tyson or he is telling porkies, both would be embarrassing.

7. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    It was just before Nelson's last fight - the same night as Hatton/Maussa - and Fury would've been 17.

anjawnaymiz likes this.
  8. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Fury was well known around gyms years before turned pro

9. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    As stated above, Fury was a very well known talent prior to turning pro. However he didn't particularly box in an evasive style as an amateur, it took him until the middle of his pro career until he started adopting the style he has now. They likely had a move around and Johnny is going to big that up and Fury isn't gonna deny it is he.

Sphillips likes this.
  10. Bent-nose

Bent-nose Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2012
    It's a true story. Why would he lie?
    Fury has sparred a few times at the Ingle gym (later with Towers).

11. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    I see no reason why he would lie

Scissors and moog like this.
  12. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I’d say this. Surely he would get caught out?

ButeTheBeast and SambaKing1993 like this.
  13. Aces

Aces Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He's the biggest brown noser in the sport of boxing, got that thing so far up Kell's chocolate brownie surprised he knows what he's saying half the time

This interview is only because of Fury calling Johnny Nelson out before the Wilder fight, he feels he needs to balance the heavily weighted Sky Matchroom propaganda with a "token" piece to the competition by paying Fury false tribute.

A BTEC Adam Smith.

DirtyOldTown and 305th like this.
  14. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Does it really matter? Sparring stories are not great indicators of how a real fight goes.

Could be true but it was years and years ago. Not sure what Nelson gains from making a story up.

15. BVA

BVA member banned Full Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Johnny Nelson I find tells it how it is, he's a straight talker. He tells the truth on the fraud Khan.

The only exception is him saying Bellew was better technically than Usyk :lol: