Does anyone put Canelo over Barrera, Morales & Marquez...?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Ted Spoon, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Maidanas Gun Tattoo

Maidanas Gun Tattoo Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Edwin Valero is the GOAT. 27-0 27 KOS. Only defeated by death.

2. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    So he used peds and blamed meat contamination. I get it.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. FastSmith7

FastSmith7 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Canelo lost 7-5 to Lara
    10-2 to Mayweather
    8-4 to Golovkin
    9-3 to Golovkin

MannyMMA, Bogotazo and BCS8 like this.
  4. Ted Spoon

Ted Spoon Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The problem here is you've reduced boxing to a numbers game.

Fans do not buy tickets to simply confirm winners and losers. They are drawn to the deeper truths that fights reveal. The most we've learnt about Canelo as a fighter was in Golovkin II. There he proved to be tough as well as a technician, but there was also a lot of huffin' n' puffin', an inability to find that extra gear, to show he was truly better, and this against a man no longer in his physical prime. It was his toughest exam and we still can't decide whether he deserved to scrape a pass.

5. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Do yo have idea of how ridiculous this defense is? All this says is, by the time he was caught, the levels were lower at THAT TIME.

If at 1AM I have a blood alcohol level of 0.15, which is over the legal limit of being drunk, and in the morning it's down to 0.02, then I guess I was never drunk, because in the morning, it was so low. :lol: You can't be this naïve Shadow.

George Crowcroft, Pakkuman and BCS8 like this.
  6. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    You're comparing eating meat to drinking.

7. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    Then you wake up from your dream.

8. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    The numbers speak volumes. More than that is needed to give those numbers meaning. Canelo mighta been huffin' n' puffin' in GGG 2 but he was maintaining a very high workrate. The scary part is that Canelo has gotten much better since then, at the same time, he hasn't had to work as hard in the ring as he had to since fighting GGG. Both GGG matches were fought at such a grueling and intense pace, and covered by HBO, we haven't had that kind of intensity since. To GGG's credit he kept both fights close and may have been slightly past his prime, but on the other side of that coin, Canelo had not yet become a finished product and reached the level he is at now.

Canelo was taken out of his normal game there by taking it upon himself to fight in a come forward style as GGG asked for. If current Canelo fought vs the GGG he fought in the rematch now he would have an easier time beating GGG. Canelo continues to climb the mountain and get better each fight. So we didn't get the abolute best version of Canelo or GGG in the rematch, with Canelo still not yet fully Prime like he is now while GGG slightly past prime. But I would argue that GGG was in better condition for the rematch and more well prepared than he was in the first fight. GGG paced himself better in the rematch so he would have more left in the tank in the late rounds. But at the same time that better pacing also lost GGG a lot of rounds early on and made him have to dig himself out of a hole.

If you look at Canelo as not yet a finished product when he fought GGG, after all he was fighting at a weight he had never fought at before, then you don't need him to have dominated GGG, he just needed to scrape by and do it in dramatic fashion as he did. Knowing now that as good as Canelo was back when he fought GGG, he's much better now.

9. The Real Lance

Oct 29, 2012
    This reply says a lot about your ability to think critically Shadow, and no surprise it's not good.

I am talking about the results of a test given. You understand over time, those levels of clenbuterol in his system go down. Can we agree on that? So WHEN they go down, the time when the test is conducted only tells what they were....AT THE TIME OF THE TEST. They don't show what they were a week before the test was given. Or a month.

What i am saying is not that complicated. Either you really don't get this simple notion, or you do and are being intentionally obtuse about this and refuse to see there's a huge hole in that defense of yours.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    BCS8 likes this.
  10. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    The Director of SMRTL knows the difference between results that indicate prolonged or continual use vs results that indicate simple meat contamination. He also followed it up with a hair follicle test. If clenbuterol was an active compound of his normal training regiment, they would have found evidence of it in the hair follicle. Further, the meeting between Canelo and Bill Clinton at a Mexican Baseball game prior to the test places him at a sporting event where meat was served to him when he ordered food while watching the baseball game. This baseball game meat wouldn't have been prepared or inspected by his team to ensure it didn't have clenbuterol in it.

11. The Real Lance

Oct 29, 2012
    Hair follicles...which are not as effective w/ redheads... Geez... That grasp of your could loosen lug nuts on a semi. You are a hopeless fanboy. You'll leave boxing for good once Canelo is gone.

BCS8 likes this.
  12. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Yes he's better and more complete and more accomplished than all 3 but he's not liked here like those 3 are so he doesn't get his due or even his respect. I've said this plenty of times canelo has a great chance of being the GOAT of Mexican boxing when he's done. He's very hard to outbox and you're not going to knock him out either he will continue to be a problem for years and his atg ranking will only continue to rise, get used to it.

sasto likes this.
  13. Jackman65

Jackman65 FJB Full Member

Aug 31, 2019
    Canelo is still fighting so we will see where he winds up. If he stopped today, you could make a strong case for him. I don’t like this weight jumping, especially when he targets the weakest belt holders at the weight. Those older fighters on the list had to fight more frequently and didn’t get the cherry pick their opponents like Canelo does. Still, I respect Canelo’s skill and can easily see him winding up as one of the best Mexican fighters.

He will probably still be below Velario or JCC but those guys are legends. I don’t think any modern boxer will ever surpass those guys. JCC, to me, will always be at the top of the list for Mexican fighters. He was a warrior and fought frequently. No catch weights or cherry picking as far as I could tell. Canelo is a skilled and disciplined fighter who continues to improve his skills. His losses to Floyd and GGG in the first fight don’t tarnish his legacy, IMO.

14. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    Not as effective with redheads, listen to yourself. Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

15. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Death saved Edwin Valero from Manny Pacquiao.

:deal: