Does anyone realistically believe RyGa has a chance to win?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by bjl12, Apr 17, 2024.

1. bjl12

bjl12 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Dude is borderline nuts, honestly. Jumping from this issue to that issue to proposing to his lady to crying about ticket prices...then finally training a little bit.

Difficult for me to see any road for RyGa to win. Especially cause the vibe I'm getting from Haney is that he's serious.

Ryan gonna quit and his career en route to lasting all of 5 years.

2. Mike_b

Mike_b Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 9, 2020
    Interesting take, we'll see how it plays out

3. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Yeah, I do. He's fast as hell, a hell of a lot faster than Haney. So there's a decent chance he catches Haney on the button while lunging it, lights out, it's ovah!

4. Ioakeim Tzortzakis

Ioakeim Tzortzakis Active Member Full Member

Aug 27, 2020
    3 or 4 years ago, I'd have said that it would be an even fight. But the Haney that defeated Prograis is a class above the Haney of the Gamboa bout, while Garcia seems to have remained stagnant. Garcia is the more physically gifted of the 2, but his Ring IQ, jab and footwork are **** poor.

5. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    This would be the scenario which is why I give him a small (very small) window. However I don't think he's disciplined enough to pull it off. Yeah, he has a chance because he's physically superior to Haney, but unfortunately for him, at a certain level discipline can overrule athleticism.

Oneirokritis, bjl12 and CST80 like this.
  6. HistoryZero26

HistoryZero26 Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2024
    Haney is supposed to win this fight but Ryan Garcia winning is not impossible. Hes a good fighter who is worthy of this shot.

Its also crossed my mind Garcia could be acting like a quack to get Haney to underestimate him.

7. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    He has a chance. With his speed and power, he could catch Haney. But I wouldn't bet my financial future on that happening.

young griffo and bjl12 like this.
  8. peter_uk

peter_uk Active Member Full Member

Sep 11, 2022
    I fancied his chances to spring the upset shortly after the fight was announced; Haney's chin is far from invulnerable, and if old man Linares can wobble him then Garcia, who is at least equally as fast and hits harder at 140 lbs, has a decent chance of putting Haney down for good. Of course the big question clouding the fight is whether Garcia's recent erratic behaviour has effected his preparation for the fight; presuming not then I still think Garcia has an excellent chance of springing the upset.

9. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    I'd give hims a small chance. Despite all his antics on social media, he's still highly skilled and can punch. But I don't know about his
    discipline. And his chin.

10. panchman69

panchman69 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2012
    nah, hes more concerned with creating internet content than actually honing his boxing craft.

Toney F*** U, young griffo and bjl12 like this.
  11. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Puncher's chance, but Haney is like huggy bear. Will be dry humping Ryan all night long.

12. DaRealJT

DaRealJT Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 26, 2021
    Ryan has natural talents that can’t be taught (speed and power), but lacks the dedication to really apply them in a world-level fight, and lacks heart

He has a puncher’s chance only. If Haney has taken this seriously (and the build-up would suggest he has taken this a lot more seriously than Ryan has), then he wins comfortably

Oneirokritis, Toker and bjl12 like this.
  13. Bustajay

Bustajay Feel the Steel/Balls Deep Full Member

Dec 9, 2012
    75/25 odds against a win for Ryan IMO
    He is slick, has speed but I don’t think he is disciplined enough for a boxer.

Haney will hug him to death if he gets past the mid range jab that Ryan is good at letting go time to time.
    A TKO from Haney late would not shock me nor would an early round TKO-KO from Garcia.

The more rounds this goes the better for Haney and worse for Ryan

lt. columbo and bjl12 like this.
  14. AlwaysFirst

AlwaysFirst Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    I really hope this is true and Garcia is training hard behind closed doors…

15. JMotrain

JMotrain Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 30, 2005
    A 10% punchers chance. Haney doesn't have the best set of whiskers. If Linares can hurt you that badly, Garcia can put your lights out. However, I think Haney wins it 9/10 times. He might even stop Garcia late in the fight.