Does anyone remember Jeff Merritt?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Il Duce, Nov 19, 2010.

1. dyna

dyna Boxing Junkie banned

Jun 1, 2012
    Probably his drug use and different kinds of things out of control drug users do.

Funny how a guy can go from being known by all the top hws to being totally forgotten.

2. tommy the hat

tommy the hat Active Member Full Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Anybody know if Jeff Merritt is still alive today and if so how he is doing?

3. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Feb 10, 2013

For the record I just got ahold of this fight and this is not how it played out. Jeff Merritt looked to be the same condition he was always in. He did not look like the basket case thats described here. During the pre fight instructions he looked focused and intent on blasting Clark out. When the two fighters came out Merritt was the aggressor with Clark doing his usual back peddling and looking to counter. Merritt, who fought in a style similar to George Foreman with his hands somewhat low, came in aggressively on Clark and Henry threw what was probably the fastest and best left hook he ever threw in his life. Merritt didnt have time to get his hands into position and as a result he was sent reeling back into his own corner. Clark, seeing that Merritt was badly hurt, chased after him and threw a volley of punches as Merritt slumped (several of which could have been illegal as Merritt was down and the ref was trying to seperate them) most missed and Clark was sent to a corner while the ref counted. Richie Giachetti and Bundini Brown, working Merritt's corner, shouted encouragement as Merritt braced himself on the ropes and made it to his feet before the count of ten. The referee waved the action on and Merritt marched out toward Clark. The two sparred a few moments before Clark landed a picture perfect right hand square on Merritt's chin that sent him flying back flat on his back. The ref ran over, took one look at Merritt, and waved the fight off. Merritt was clearly dazed upon arising and after regaining his senses seemed irritated that he had lost but congratulated Clark. I dont buy that Merritt was unprepared or on drugs or whatever other excuse Il Duce came up with. He looked the same as he always did and fought the same. Clark wasnt exactly a world beater anyway and wasnt a big puncher at all. The simple fact of the matter is that Merritt got caught with a perfect punch, twice, before he had really gotten into the fight and thats that. It was kind of a one in a million type of thing but Merritt is overrated anyway. With his style, hands low, coming foward looking for one big punch, he would have been vulnerable to a lot of the guys in the upper echelon.

4. Curtis Lowe

Curtis Lowe Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 19, 2006
    It think you are thinking of Stan Ward who KOed Jeff in 2.

After the first round, Merritt had closed one of Ward's eye from the swelling. In between rounds Merritt was yelling across the ring at Ward to "come out and fight like a man", which Ward did and promptly KOed Merritt in the 2nd round.:D

5. Curtis Lowe

Curtis Lowe Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 19, 2006
    I'll correct myself, it was the 3rd round.

6. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Nice thread on a forgotten ‘never-quite-made-it’ contender who had a fearsome reputation. Thought I’d bump it for educational and discussion purposes.

7. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    Henry Clark dusted "Candy Slim" in one in Oakland, I have all the Ring Magazine ratings , showed Jeff at best their a coupla months at number #10.

Jerry Quarry was fuming WHEN Merritt sparred with and injured Earnie, you do not spar with a dangerous fighter like Merritt, you fight a guy like Jeff Merritt for $$Money

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  8. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    Jack Doyle? not Tony Doyle?

timmers612 likes this.
  9. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    As young as I am, I do recall Jeff Merritt (not because I was around). He stopped Ron Stander, stopped Ernie Terrell in 1 round, and held Henry Clark to a draw, but had his career dashed by Henry Clark and Stan Ward. He was a biggun' and he could have been a contender, but oh well.... Seemed like a good fighter, just a bit ordinary.

10. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Actually he decisioned Clark previously. One of his major flaws, aside from outside indulgences - was he was just a bit fragile. A lethal left hook, but a bit more chin and he could have been something.

11. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Just checked the record, I would have swore he drew with the Clark, but it was Billy Daniels instead.

scartissue likes this.
  12. timmers612

timmers612 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I saw Earnie up in Minnesota before his fight with Merritt, he didn't look like the Earnie of his prime. He showed me how Ali spun and thumbed him in the first round of their fight and said the fight was over at that point though he stumbled through 15 rounds. On film you can't confirm or deny what he said happened.

13. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Well, it's a fact that Terrell's eyes were cut up, and that that hindered his performance, and it's very possible that it all happened so fast that he just thought Ali really did spin him like that. Personally, it doesn't look like that's what happened.

timmers612 likes this.
  14. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Not to blow sunshine up @klompton2 but he describes it to a T. I would only add that Jeff obviously doesn't recover from the first KD and is just a walking punching bag for the right.

This content is protected

timmers612 and greynotsoold like this.
  15. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    I agree.