Does anyone think that Derevyanchenko has a chance in beating GGG?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Flo_Raiden, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    They could come up with a brilliant game plan.
    Golovkin seems to be boxing a bit more now, focusing less on power. This might play into Derevyanchenko's hands.
    I remember Canelo playing cute with Alfonzo Gomez. Gomez made him look stupid.

From a purely technical standpoint, it will be interesting to see who is better. Who truly has the better fundamentals.
    (I think Golovkin is more skilled and has more tools. And there is a huge gap in experience.)

2. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    I think it’s a 50-50 fight.

POTUS likes this.
  3. unitas

unitas Boxing Addict Full Member

May 12, 2007
    The gap is not as huge as you think. deryvanchenkos pro record should actually read 36-2 because he went 23-1 in the wsb. add like 400 Amateur fights to that record……..and you have a real Veteran.

4. vargasfan1985

vargasfan1985 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 8, 2008
    SD seems to get hit often

Culcay, who isn’t a hard puncher, hurt him a few times

Jacobs has him down in round 1 and found him often

I think GGG by late stoppage is the pick here

5. unitas

May 12, 2007
    hell NO! deryvanchenko was badly hurt by the rather light hitting jack culcay…….and he struggled to get a Razor thin decision! that doesnt bode well when you are up agianst GGG. personally, i think GGG is at least one Level above Sergy.

6. Badbot

Apr 17, 2011
    WSB definitely comes in handy, but it's still not the same. It's just the same amateurs competing at a high level.
    Golovkin has had more legitimate title fights than Sergiy has had pro fights.

First time Sergiy was tested in the pro ranks was in 2017. Can't really compare that to what Golovkin had done up to that point.

7. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Fighters often fight up or down to their level of opposition. He’ll be well prepared for GGG with a game plan. GGG isn’t the fighter he once was either.

Big Ukrainian likes this.
  8. unitas

May 12, 2007
    that is true, no Question. and im Pretty sure deryvanchenko will be a better Version than the one who fought culcay. he is a legit top Level middleweight. but i just dont see him Winning. GGG is both the better boxer and heavier hitter. and he has a better chin. on top of that, deryvanchenko seems to mark up around the face Pretty easily. i think this will be competative early, with GGG class starting to tell in the mid rounds. i think GGG will break him down and stop him late.

9. unitas

May 12, 2007
    now i totally disagree on that. the wsb has pro rules. look at chebotarevs fight with killici...…..he stopped him in round ten. that is not an Amateur fight!
    plus, unlike in pro Boxing, you dont get to handpick your Opponents. pro Boxing is a complete disgrace. look at the last guy who fought dubois…..19-0 (16ko´s). that guy wouldnt have won a single fight in the wsb.
    deryvanchenko went 23-1......that is crazy good.

GGG has more experience, no Question. but that has to be expected from a Long reigning Champion. but if he loses (as i predict he will), it will not be because of inexperience!

Mirko and Angler Andrew like this.
  10. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    You and Shadow are the only two people in the entire universe who think this.Even Canelo said himself he couldn’t lay a glove on him all night.You simply can’t accept that Clenelo is gifted Decisions.

BCS8 likes this.
  11. Badbot

Apr 17, 2011
    Wait, what? I thought WSB was 5 rounds :lol:

I think experience will play a role if Golovkin and Sergiy are on the same level. We just recently saw a great Russian card on which experience played a big role.
    Yarde had never been beyond the 7th round. Maybe if he had more experience he could have handled himself a lot better against Kovalev. He might not have gassed himself so stupidly.
    And Aleksei Papin came extremely close to beating Makabu. But his lack of in ring rounds cost him. He clearly didn't know how to pace himself over 12.
    Of course those are examples of learning how to pace oneself, something Sergiy seems to know how to. But there is a lot of benefits to having more experience.

12. unitas

May 12, 2007
    do you think they are on the same Level??

13. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    He's a skilled boxer so of course he has a chance. He fought Jacobs very close with the knockdown being the difference if not for that he probably would have beaten him. I still favor GGG but if he doesn't drop Chenko we could have a very close fight.

14. Badbot

Apr 17, 2011
    Nope. But I have been wrong before. (Too many times)

15. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    I could see a close decision considering GGG is getting up there in age.. a fellow well schooled but younger EE MW like SD could give him fits..