Does boxing build confidence?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Sushix, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Sushix

Sushix Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Just curious if boxing builds your self esteem and confidence. I notice most boxers/fighters are overly confident. I feel I lack in these areas and would like to improve on them by being a boxer myself. But what if you lose every fight, would that diminish your confidence? And what other good or bad mental qualities could boxing produce in a person?

2. smoochp

smoochp Da flyest1 Full Member

Mar 1, 2008
    I never boxed but I really think it does. Few people will try to fight you and boxers have the best bodies (not gay). But you will be alright, and if you lose fights it was by a better boxer. Those that make sense

3. Andre

Andre BAD INTENTIONS!!!!!!!!!!! Full Member

May 3, 2006

Yes boxing can build self esteem, keeps you fit and teaches you self defence.

Losing every fight would diminish your confidence, but training hard is done to prevent losing.

The good/bad mental qualities are not made in the gym, they already exist within the person.

4. Scar

Scar VIP Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Yes it does boost mental/physical confidence and the feeling of it is really really great.

5. Scar

Scar VIP Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    It's not only training but the people doing the job of training him, you got to make sure your trainers know what they're talking about.

6. acb

acb De Camaguey... Gavilan Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Depends whether your getting your ass kicked or vice-versa.

On a real note, it makes you accountable to yourself-- to show up at the gym, to put your work in, to confront your anxieties about sparring, to have respect for other boxers and come back the next day to do it again.

7. smoochp

Mar 1, 2008
    So Andre,ACB, and Scar how long have yall two boxed?

8. Andre

May 3, 2006
    Agreed :good

9. jecxbox

jecxbox St. Brett Full Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Feels good to get hit on the chin and hit back all while being cool with your sparring partner because its all in the name of boxing and building your skills as a fighter. Its a good feeling.

10. Andre

May 3, 2006

On and off for 3 years couldnt really commit because of school, will be training again in September while at uni, may eventually turn pro.

11. BADINTENTIONS2

BADINTENTIONS2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 16, 2008
    100% it builds your confidence.

when you say "but what if i lose every fight" you're not thinking about the flipside of that which is, "being hit isn't as bad as i thought and so i don't have to worry so much about someone threatening me with violence..".

you can stand up for yourself, even take a beatng, and it's not the big deal you thought it was because the fear is taken out of your mental attitude - that'sd a big thing.

i am a successful amateur (retired), but the main reason you should box is to get rid of those negative vibes which you've brought to this post.

for all the "what if's" you have about might go 'wrong' your character is going to improve 500% percent just by overcoming your fear.

but you have to give it your best shot!

even if you get beat up and give it your best shot - you'll see what i mean and you'll feel like a new man for it. i promise you.

nothing terminal or bad is going to happen to you - infact you'll go away with an attitude that it's the fear of being hit that over-rides the actual feeling of being hit - if you understand me.

12. acb

acb De Camaguey... Gavilan Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    On and off for many years (14 when starte, 29 now). I always stay in shape even if not necessarily boxing shape because I know what its like to go back to the gym if not. I don't smoke and I eat well because I learned these things from people at the gym who have a lot of pride and expect it from themselves.

Its good for these types of things.

13. smoochp

Mar 1, 2008
    I stopped smoking weed about 2 years ago. Wasn't for me kind of like a follower thing u feel me. But I don't drink at all, but eating will always be my problem. I'm not fat or like that but candy is my ****. My dad tells me that my mom was popping candy in my mouth since I was a newborn. But on a serious note I would like to train and get in shape with boxing, but not go pro or amatuer :good

14. smoochp

Mar 1, 2008
    Good luck and I wish you the best :good

15. Andre

May 3, 2006

Thanks man appriciate it :good