Does boxing build confidence?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Sushix, Jul 6, 2008.

1. acb

acb De Camaguey... Gavilan Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    This has never left me before sparring (at least when I am sparring good boxers). I think its just natural to have and I just roll with it.

2. evalistinho

evalistinho Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Well for me personally i have felt that boxing teaches you to have a cold head during a fight. To be calm after you get hit. It would also apply out of the ring to keep a cold head during other stressful situations.

3. jecxbox

jecxbox St. Brett Full Member

Aug 5, 2007
    yeah even sparring. Because you know theres a chance that you can get decked, that creates anxiety to make you want to perform well.

4. BADINTENTIONS2

BADINTENTIONS2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 16, 2008
    máybe but you can't generalise about people.

not everybody was born to fight and i have more respect for someone who comes to the gym and is conquering their fear than someone who thinks they are hot **** (when they aren't), but still beats up a couple of guys and goes away feeling fulfilled after a week.

confidence does come from being comfortable with what you do, but not everyone who doesn't know what they are doing sells a false confidence.

i respect anyone who conquerors their fears and steps into the ring, but the people i respect most are the ones who weren't 'born to do it' if you know what i mean.

i don't mean the dicks - i mean the guys who genuinely overcame the fear of being bullied when they were young.

that's a big thing - "sucking at fighting" (as you say it) from that perspective just doesn't hold water with me.

5. acb

Jan 6, 2007
    I don't think you understood my post or maybe I didn't write it clear enough (edit: I didn't write it clear enough).

I am talking about the types who come just to learn how to hurt folks, who use boxing as a means to learn to "protect" themselves in the street rather than for the sport of it.

6. smoochp

smoochp Da flyest1 Full Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Thanks for the tips for me and the thread stater, I'm really thinking about training just to get in shape, I feel like I'm confident enough already, but I have notice from the boxers I see in Vegas, that they are really sure of themselves mentalyy and of course physically

7. evalistinho

evalistinho Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 27, 2008
    It might be a goofy way of dealing with it but when i spar and get that anxiety feeling i drill myself in the head that the other guy must be feeling the same as me so theres no need to feel weird. I dont know but it works for me and ill get way more relaxed.

8. acb

Jan 6, 2007
    People have all kinds of ways. I just breathe, conserve my energy.

My favorite are the types that just hurl themselves across the ring and unload on the other guy, its allways entertaining. Not my way of going about it but hey...

9. Sushix

Sushix Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm not sure if its fear or anxiety or nervousness, but I get shaky before a fight, even my voice changes because I'm so mad at the moment. It's uncontrollable. I would like to control it.

10. BADINTENTIONS2

Feb 16, 2008
    no thats a good way to build confidence until you're confident enough in the ring without thinking that way.

but keep doing it if it works for you because with people in a similar situation to you - you're probably right.

11. Ziggy Montana

Ziggy Montana The Butcher Full Member

Oct 3, 2007
    True.

12. acb

Jan 6, 2007
    Just stop fighting. Eventually you grow up and your buddies and the girl your with don't condone it anyways.

I rarely get excited enough about anything to scrap, I would feel like a ****ing idiot. I fought some when I was younger but it eventually you just grow out of it and reserve it for self defense.

13. BADINTENTIONS2

Feb 16, 2008
    i dont think you get it....or at least you're not listening to people.

this guy is trying to conquer his fears and because this is natural to you or me doesn't mean you should tell him to quit - that's giving up on someone.

would you give up in the ring - or in a street fight - or don't you realise how important this can be to him?

if you can't put yourself in his position and you want to tell him to just "stop fighting" then i don't think you really know how character is built.

14. acb

Jan 6, 2007
    I don't understand why you think this, its been pretty clear that I advocate getting into the gym in this thread and learning to box.

My guess is that he is young and probably fighting for dumb reasons, or at least thats what I infer from his posts.

My apologies if I am wrong.

15. Sushix

Sushix Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2007
    lol No. I don't fight at all. I only been in two fights and they weren't really fights. Just want to learn to control my emotions and defend myself and build confidence.