Does boxing build confidence?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Sushix, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Melbourneborn

Melbourneborn Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Boxing will not turn you from a shrinking violet type of person to a brash badboy. And dont think it will.

What it will do however, it will build your own self-efficacy when set demanding tasks. You will get a sense of achievement and pride and accomplishment within yourself purely through training hard - thats regardless of fight results.

The only thing it will give you confidence in is if you have to fight in the street. Instead of being anxious/scared/worried you know youve been there so many times before, you know it will seem in slow motion for you, and you know the poor lad standing in front of you is going to have a not so memorable night. That is the confidence boxing gives you.

2. BADINTENTIONS2

BADINTENTIONS2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 16, 2008
    that's right.

it's not about changing who you are, it's about overcoming your fears.

but after saying that, it will build you up and give you an insight and confidence you haven't had before.

3. acb

acb De Camaguey... Gavilan Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    And then you will go into the street with all of this new found honor and confidence and kicks someones ass while his buddy comes behind you and shanks you.

Stay away from the fighting man. Not sure about where you guys live, but in Los Angeles it ain't like the old movies man, there is no honor.

4. BADINTENTIONS2

Feb 16, 2008
    don't apologise if you believe in your point of view. the whole point of the board is to challeneg views.

but you said he should give up fighting - and he's not doing it for "dumb reasons" because he's just told you he has anxiety and so on when confronted with it....

it's very bad form (and very wrong in my opinion) not to encourage him to overcome those fears.

we only live once, my friend, and how reacts today to this challeneg can dictate who he is for the rest of his life in a big way.

you should be encouraging him to seize the moment.

5. BADINTENTIONS2

Feb 16, 2008
    i'm talking about self-confidence.

pure and simple.

6. Sushix

Sushix Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2007
    BTW I'm 30 yrs old. I think i'm more mature than to fight for "dumb reasons" But sometimes you have to ya know?

7. BADINTENTIONS2

Feb 16, 2008
    that's the last post for me tonight (5.40am in denmark).

cheers for the debate guys - been fun.

8. acb

Jan 6, 2007
    Well then I was wrong. We have a lot of young people on this board.

9. evalistinho

evalistinho Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Thats why in the street i feel like i dont even have to fight because i know i can take care of myself and and lay out the stupid people who pick on you and look for trouble. But i avoid street fights man. They are unnecessary and tend to end badly. I used to live in Colombia before moving to Florida and got in a street fight because i was at a soccer game and was wearing my teams colors and the other guy wanted to kick my ass. He attacked me and it was like easy sparring because this guy was throwing mayorga-like haymakers so i started to beat him badly. He pulled out a gun and i thought my life had ended there. Then i thought about running but i thank my guardian angel 5 cops came out of nowhere and arrested this guy. After that i realized even though i could beat somebody in the street unarmed the other guys intentions are probably a lot worse. But i do say that if you MUST fight then destroy your opponent and get out of there inmediately.

10. acb

Jan 6, 2007
    Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

11. 401Tank

401Tank Active Member Full Member

May 25, 2008
    boxing is a great sport to build both when you are in the gym and really gettin a good workout you feel great all the time so there is your self esteem and when you been in the ring long enough you will test yourself with better sparring partners and oppenents when fighting. so your confidence will go though the roof not all boxers get cocky just be you and deep down you will know what you can do and how good of a person you have become because of this beautiful sporT. it will also help when you are out to and that ******* starts with you,you will relize how hoble you have become and you will talk that person down or avoid a situation all together. it is not just about blood and beating someones ass it is about self respect self discipline and you really become a much calmer person under stress when you are in the ring you are going to be very nervous at first but after a while it will be so calm in there just like anything else you are very used too.....just remember it don't matter how much you lose how bad you get beat there is always tomorrow and dont ever give up on yourself in the ring or out give it your all and at least you can say you gave 100% nobody can take that away from you! and remember there will always be someone better than you but in your mind you are the best and never fear another man! GOOD LUCK GET A GOOD TRAINER THAT KNOWS HIS **** AND YOU WILL DO FINE:good

12. san rafael

san rafael 0.00% lemming Full Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Knowing that you can drop most people with a single punch or make them miss if they try and hit you is pretty good for the self esteem, LOL. Less fights come from that. Cooler heads, ect.

13. jecxbox

jecxbox St. Brett Full Member

Aug 5, 2007
    ACB is right. And I think what he means by saying there is no honor he means it in the way that...On the streets THERE IS NO HONOR to the fighting. No respect and No sympathy AT ALL!

One of the biggest distinctions that I found after I started boxing was the immediate realization that when ever theres an event that is instigating a fight outside of the gym, it is 100% different. Because in the ring there is mutual respect - Even if you don't like each other there is mutual respect. On the street there is 0 respect and very bad intentions and that changes the situation BIG TIME.

I noticed that after training/boxing when ever situations would arise from someone else to instigate some type of physical conflict I would get extremely, extremely irritated upset and wound up, because you know exactly what a fight is and what its like to go through the pain, but this time its a fight without boundaries and without limitations, no refs no ring and no sympathy and the purpose of it is NOT for respect/honor the purpose of it is to punish/hurt/destroy.

And the point is, there is honor in boxing, but there is NO HONOR out in the streets and things always get out of hand. So to join boxing you have to do it for the right reasons and the right reasons only, and that is for THE SPORT of boxing and nothing else, thats the bottom line!!!!!:hi:

14. evalistinho

evalistinho Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Amen man. You nailed it:thumbsup

15. acb

Jan 6, 2007
    Yep, couldn't agree more.

My simple point was train, yes, but don't let that encourage you to look for b.s. in the street. Thats all I was trying to communicate.