Does Errol Spence become a superstar if he beats Pacquiao?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Scorpion, Jun 12, 2021.

1. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    It's always a win-win for an older fighter. I made a post about this awhile ago.

2. Boxing Gloves

Boxing Gloves Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    The only thing Spence gains is a good pay day. If he loses to an old Pacman then his stock plummets and if he wins then Manny was old.

He gets no credit from me either way.

3. lone star

lone star Active Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Does that make Trevor Berbick a legend? How about Shannon Briggs?

4. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Also, today's day and age is just different than the peak era of guys like Tyson and Oscar. Today, you miss a fight, the highlights are online the next day or it can be DVR'd. There's zero urgency due to the accessibility.

The magnitude of events aren't the same as back then, so I actually don't think Spence will become a superstar if he Manny. His stock and recognition will go up, but not Pac/Floyd levels.

5. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    No

I think at this point the average sports fan in the US doesn't hold Pacquiao in as high a regard as they did when he was going into the fight with Floyd. I think the performance vs Floyd coupled with the backlash and the "loss" to Horn took most American's attention away from him. The fight with Thurman did 500,000 buys which is good in the current PPV climate but a far cry from where he was in the past. He also ahs not fought in a long time and is over the age of 40. I think Spence has a following but is not a known commodity in the greater sports universe.

If they promote the fight well enough it may be possible for him to become a big star off of this fight but I think that the chances of that are pretty small

6. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Spence's stock and visibility will rise. Just not the stratospheric levels that Pac/Floyd went through.

KO KIDD likes this.
  7. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Agreed

8. Manfred

Manfred Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 22, 2011
    Oscar wasn't shot when he fought Floyd.

9. ElCyclon

ElCyclon Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 2, 2012

"Shot" is arguable but he was clearly past his expiration date. His next two fights are clear evidence of that.

Manfred likes this.
  10. Manfred

May 22, 2011
    People will more so be rooting for Pac to win but expecting Spence to win so while it will be a good win for Spence, it will not be one that is not expected. He will get a bump but it won't be nothing compared to a fight with Crawford. Crawford is his Ali / Frazier fight, or his Hearns / Leonard. If he truly wants to rise above then he must fight Crawford.

Bustajay likes this.
  11. Manfred

May 22, 2011
    He was 34 and Floyd was 30, Floyd fought Canelo when he was 36. However, Oscar had been in more rougher battles than Floyd so he was past prime.

12. Hanz Cholo

Hanz Cholo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Spence is on the cusp of stardom already
    If he were to KO Manny spectacularly,

I’d say yeah that would make him a superstar & bump him up to the front of the line for a Canelo $weepstakes above everyone else & allow him to take 40% of the gate & PPV in “Jerry’s World” Dallas, Texas

I’d say that is Superstar status for sure.

13. titanic

titanic Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 7, 2016
    But what if he lose to Pacman ? That's the bigger question.....

14. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Problem here is that the "mainstream public" has no remote idea who Crawford is. So they won't give an F about that either.

15. Alo2006

Alo2006 R.I.P Sean Taylor Full Member

Jun 28, 2006
    He's already a superstar. He will be a bigger superstar after beating Pac. He had the number 1 PPV in 2020. Also will have the number 1 PPV buy this year too fighting Pac.