Does ESPN regret wasting money on Fury yet?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by notjustacasual, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sephiroth Rising 7 'No tears please!' banned Full Member

Sep 27, 2016
    That makes a lot of sense and is closer to the truth than many others have speculated.

im sparticus likes this.
  2. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    The issue with this is the logic behind Fury becoming a PPV superstar. He’s not popular in his own country. He’s not a big puncher. He’s demonstrably unpopular in America given how many people have gone to his fights. And the Wilder fight did average business.

It’s a legitimate question to ask those who think Top Rank are paying Fury a fortune why they think that is happening.

notjustacasual likes this.
  3. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sep 27, 2016
    My guess is the line of wishful thinking behind the logic is probably ESPN felt they could build him into a superstar, now they're finding out it's not so easy which is why they are shamelessly whoring him out to other sports and turning him into a full time freak show clown.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Trafford, Heisenberg and Scissors like this.
  4. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Every thread he does
    Its inevitable and you can see it coming like the end of a Scooby Doo episode

Starts off almost normal
    Then bang hey im notjustabellend again

delboy82 and Twentyman like this.
  5. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    The fact he is so popular really says a lot about the state of the fanbase in this country.

"control to TonyHayers please step in"

6. Potwash

Potwash The Real Untouchables Full Member

Dec 13, 2017
    No one is the same after getting Knocked out by Wilder.

The only reason Fury got up after that KO is because he saw his soul leaving...he still not the same after that fight though

I'm convinced he doesn't fight Wilder again. He getting all the money he can and I don't blame him. I'm a fan of Fury but I'm a bit bored of him now. He talks a good game but rarely backs it. Can't say you going to smash someone up then dance and pitter patter away for 12 rounds. That's not what fighting men do.

Plus some of the Fury fans on here are f*****g mental. One word wrong about him and they go bat s**t crazy. Still clinging on to that Klitschko win FOUR years ago...and let's be honest he has only been in 1 significant fight since. Which he drew.

Let's see who he fights next.

7. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sep 27, 2016
    Respect for your objective and honest view.

Scissors and Potwash like this.
  8. Citizen Smith

Citizen Smith Active Member Full Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Tyson engaged the production company prior to Schwarz, to film Meet The Furys which is a 4 parter and will be on ITV before his autobiography is released on 14th November. Then there's the WWE payday and also the Robbie WIlliams single. All of those are in the bag or in the can, i.e. he has been paid. It's all timing and suggests a man getting things in order before he leaves, or the shine wears off.

9. notjustacasual

notjustacasual Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Lmao

Mr "it's not about money I'm a fighting man"

I can't wait till this guy is retired and gone, I pray he fights Wilder again first though or his deification will be continuously held up by his stupid fans

Sephiroth Rising 7 likes this.
  10. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    I think the issue is more with Top Rank realising the Heavyweight division is hotting up and realising they don’t have a dog in the fight. They went with Fury as he’s the only available top tier guy. They had no real choice.

The launch on ESPN+ was poor and they needed something to cling to, that would enable them to recoup some outlay in the future. A Fury vs Wilder PPV would help that but I also don’t think Fury has been marketed that well since signjno with Top Rank. They should have put him on regular ESPN against someone with some name value then had the second fight on ESPN+.

11. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sep 27, 2016
    I wouldn't say there is a lot of interest in what he does anymore than people are interested in what someone like Dillian Whyte or David Price is doing. Sure if they are fighting a big fight I will watch, but it's not as if the world stops when Fury is in town

I and many others did not tune in to bother watch his last two fights and the poor attendance doesn't support this idea that there is huge interest in him.

,His interviews have become redundant and he's not actually funny as a character

Reminds me of Russel Brand, where everyone believes he;s funny even when clearly he tells poor jokes and isn't funny, but because the herd have convinced themselves he is funny, they laugh on cue, nevertheless.

notjustacasual likes this.
  12. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sep 27, 2016
    No on youtube I get notifications of his feeds, so I skim over the headlines of his video. I don't listen to his interviews which as I said before are redundant . Once you've seen one, you've seem them all.

There's only so many times you can scream dosser, mental health awareness , lost over 100lbs, I'll ko this or that bum, Nobody thought I'd fight again'' and ''John O'sullivan'' before you get bored.

No one is denying he is considered a top HW.

I never implied he wasn't. I'm am just saying he is not hot property and doesn't have huge interest. Contrived paid and endorsed hype does not correlate into interest

Clarence Gianni and Potwash like this.
  13. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    He’s a big name without doing big business if that makes sense. Last time he fought in the UK he was booed out of the ring on an undercard. Last time he had a big fight in the UK it sold terribly before it was ultimately cancelled. And last time he fought in America there were about twenty thousand unsold tickets in a venue that holds about twenty one thousand.

14. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Another day and Tony Hayers still frothing at the mouth with rage at Tyson Fury's popularity and millions of pounds in the bank.

Boxther, wrestler, singer, comedian and one of the most affable sportsman in the world - these are indeed dark days for Tony Hayers.

15. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Not to mention pudding slayer.

Wizbit1013 and Jurgen like this.