Does Floyd Mayweather Jr. Know boxing?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Peril, Jan 11, 2017.

Is FMJ a good judge?

1. Yes. His expertise makes him a better qualified judge than ringside judges that never boxed.

19 vote(s)
    63.3%
  2. No. He may know how to box but he doesn't know how to judge a fight.

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  1. Uppercut_Artist

Uppercut_Artist Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Imagine if YOU got paid millions to sit and type nonsense on a web forum. I would have to assume you knew something about typing nonsense on a forum.

Staminakills likes this.
  2. RingKing75

RingKing75 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Floyd has forgotten more about boxing than most of us will ever know and yes hes absolutely qualified to judge a fight. The problem is his ego makes him biased so he cant be relied on to give an honest opinion unless it serves his self loving agenda.

Sugar 88, OvidsExile and Ph33rknot like this.
  3. Peril

Peril The Scholar Full Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Would he not be pro Ward then? A fellow black undefeated american olympian?

Staminakills and mirkofilipovic like this.
  4. Peril

Peril The Scholar Full Member

Jan 6, 2011
    How would bringing down a fellow black American fighter fit his agenda?

Staminakills likes this.
  5. Farmboxer

Farmboxer VIP Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Void knows boxing, he grew up with it, but he is a very prejudiced person, however, I was surprise when Void picked Kovalev as the winner over SOB....................Harold Lederman had Kovalev winning 116 -111, I had Kovalev winning every round except perhaps one or two, SOB did not fight. How do you win a fight without fighting? Own the judges.............

Staminakills likes this.
  6. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Floyd was a gym rat and his father and uncle ex fighters and trainers. Floyd owns a gym , scouts fighters to
    promote and manage and owns a promotional company.
    When fighting he was a ring general and always left no stone unturned in his preparation. Roy Jones , Sugar Ray
    Leonard , Mike Tyson would all have encyclopedia knowledge of boxing.

7. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Ive never found an exceptional correlation between being able to fight, and perceiving fights. Plenty of great fighters are downright shocking in their lack of ability to call fights. And obviously, some of the best perceivers of fighters and matchups, and ability to judge and call fights, have never fought professionally before.

I don't put too much stock (while still putting some, obviously) in what Mayweather says. Hes too influenced by emotion and insecurities for me to put what he has to say on too high a pedestal.

OvidsExile likes this.
  8. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Floyd's right that if you watch the fight, it's difficult to score it for Ward. He's a great fighter but I had Kovalev winning that clearly.

As for Virgil Hunter, I'm not really qualified to comment but Ward is his life's work and he's done pretty well. As for having to fight, Mourinho never played football professionally and he's not so bad...

9. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    I think knowing about boxing and boxing itself are two different skill sets. A lot of great boxers talk a lot of stupid bull**** and don't seem to have the brains to judge a pissing contest.

Does Floyd Mayweather Jr. know boxing is a different question than would he be a more competent judge than the ones we have now. Of course he would, a goddamn chicken pecking random colored boxes would be better than the idiots we have judging fights now. But that's not what the thread title asked, is it?

10. Gannicus

Gannicus 2014 Poster of the Year Full Member

Mar 4, 2014
    On the basis of this, I'm inclined to think so (if anyone has the longer video of this interview, please post) - :
    This content is protected

11. MVC!

MVC! The Best Ever Full Member

Nov 5, 2013
    OF COURSE HE KNOWS BOXING. He's the master of boxing. He knows the most about boxing on this PLANET ATM

12. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Basically, anytime any boxer says something about another fighter's
    skillset, especially if they were a contemporary, it has to be taken
    with a grain of salt. Very few guys can be unbiased. Very few

But to answer the question, Floyd's knowledge of boxing
    is scholarly.

I'd say Tyson knows more (historical and otherwise) than
    damn near every other boxer.

13. alexthegreatmc

alexthegreatmc Sound logic and reason. You're welcome! Full Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Mayweather speaks and the internet goes nuts. These haters must be lovers ffs

14. OvidsExile

Aug 28, 2012
    I wouldn't say that he's scholarly. There is some serious debate about whether he can even read. He's obviously a physical genius, able to execute moves and react in the ring, but that doesn't make you a good judge or historian. I've watched his interviews for a decade and I've never heard him say anything insightful about the sport. Usually, it's quite the reverse. It may be that he's uninterested in history, or styles that differ from his own, or he's just too biased to deliver an accurate judgement. I think he might not even like boxing and may just be in it because it's his family business and because he was too small for football or basketball. He's made some statements over the years that seem so ignorant it makes you wonder if he even follows his own sport.

Tyson is on record saying a number of respectful and intelligent things about old timers which he studied obsessively during his days with Cus D'Amato. He loves Duran, Dempsey, and Sonny Liston. I don't think that Floyd Mayweather Jr. respects anybody before his time. He'll cut down Ali for having losses and frequently declares himself the best of all time. Ali would at least admit that Ray Robinson was better than himself. The oldest boxer I've ever heard Floyd Mayweather Jr. praise is Ricardo Lopez, and that was based on his undefeated record. If you are a contemporary of Floyd's like Pacquiao he will disrespect you all kinds of ways. He might be able to give some respect to the new generation now that he's retired, but I'll guarantee you that he won't admit that a guy like Lomachenko or Gonzalez can be as good as he was. And he won't respect fighters like Golovkin who fought with a different style from him.

15. OvidsExile

Aug 28, 2012
    In that case you must really love all the haters, based on the amount you talk about them. I don't buy that line of reasoning.

It's like whenever you see someone who's staunchly homophobic, people say that they are secretly gay. "I think thou dost protest too much." By that logic, the only way to prove you aren't gay is to suck a dick.

Maybe, they all just hate Mayweather and we should take them at their word.