Does Jeffries belong in the top 30 of all time?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Jun 23, 2007.

1. richdanahuff

richdanahuff Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Didn't we post Johnson's 16 win winning streak during Jeffries last year as champ once? there were worthy challengers around Jeff refused to fight them.....in the words of Corbett in round 15 after taunting Johnson before and during the fight "oh no please Jack don't hit him anymore" or something close to that

2. richdanahuff

Oct 12, 2013
    Of course had Jeffries been fighting capable heavyweights instead of middleweights and ltheavyweights.......imagine if Tyson can take a man clean off his feet with a hook imagine the impact hitting a middleweight or ltheavyweight with that hook....over the top rope?? Tyson had been fighting in Jeffs era would be the GOAT based off performance against the era/....

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    QUOTE="richdanahuff, post: 19014448, member: 103504"]Didn't we post Johnson's 16 win winning streak during Jeffries last year as champ once? there were worthy challengers around Jeff refused to fight them.....in the words of Corbett in round 15 after taunting Johnson before and during the fight "oh no please Jack don't hit him anymore" or something close to that[/QUOTE]
    I seem to be regularly at odds with you and I assure you it's not intentional. Jeffries had credible black challengers in Johnson, Martin, McVey,. and before them Childs. If he was prepared to defend against the likes of the less than ordinary Munro and the pathetic Finnegan, he certainly should have entertained those names!
    Corbett turned to Jeffries brother Jack at the start of the 7th and said ,"your brother's getting beat up he is beat what shall we do?" They discussed the possibility of Jeffries fouling out to save himself from further punishment, but neither could summon the courage to mention it to Jeffries.
    Jeffries had it coming imo, but no one can say he didn't go out on his shield!

4. richdanahuff

Oct 12, 2013
    The original electrical insulating tape was made of cloth tape impregnated with Chatterton's compound, an adhesive material manufactured using Gutta-percha. This type of tape was often used to insulate soldered splices on knob and tube wiring. It was commonly referred to as
    This content is protected
    , and had the unique property of being
    . Because of this,

What would you do if there was no vinyl electrical tape?

If you’re an electrician or a contractor, life without this sticky companion might sound like a nightmare, but for those living just 100 short years ago it was a reality, because electrical tape simply didn’t exist.

In fact, the vinyl electrical tape that we all know and love came into existence more than 70 years ago, when 3M inventors Snell, Oace, and Eastwold created it and saved electricians from the weak, corrosive and rot-prone tape of yore, which was made of tar-coated cotton with a vulcanized rubber adhesive.

Learn more about the evolution of electrical tape with the timeline below.

1944 3M Pioneer Chemist Esther Eastwold
    One of the 3 scientists credited with the invention of Vinyl Electrical Tape, Esther paves the way with her discovery of an adhesive-friendly plasticizer.

945/46 3M invents Scotch Brand No. 33 Electrical Tape
    3M applies for a patent in January 1946 and No. 33 Tape (originally white or yellow in color) becomes the new standard for insulating electrical connections.

5. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    You keep talking about this "pro white zeal" as if it is an incontrovertible fact of the era.

You try to tar every writer of the period with this label of racism, without any evidence in most cases, and damn the good ones along with the bad ones.

You criticize Jeffries choice of opponents, but then you fail to say who he should have fought instead.

My personal take is that Sharkey, Ruhlin, Fitzsimmons, Corbett, and Denver Ed Martin were the best available, up to the point when Jack Johnson became a serious option in early 1903.

Mendoza likes this.
  6. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Very few gloved fighter did engage in a fight to the finish.

A guy who was strong after 20 rounds, would be likely to beat most people who came after him under such rules.

7. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I wore this electrical tape once, it hardened like a brick and was a right ****er to get off afterwards.

8. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    As I asked you before Rich, didn't Louis, Dempsey and Johnson lose to guys under 200 pounds?

Please reply back, I want to see if you know anything about the history of boxing.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I'm aware of that,I was referring to your statement " In a fight to the finish he would be virtualy unbeatable."
    Actually this is far from a given , he went 25rds once and it was a very close fight with a man he had significant physical advantages over.He went 20 rounds twice once with a man he outweighed by about 50pounds and both fights were draws! If you want to talk about fighters going distances Jack Johnson went more rounds in more fights than Jeffries ever did.

10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Pretty well mate, my best dog is laid up with a pulled claw which is a bit of a bind but I cant complain .Just booked up a tour of the top of the Shard in London, followed by dinner at Marco Pierre White's in Chelsea Saturday so life is good really. Keep The Faith!

Russell likes this.
  11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    No,I can spell "cares"!

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I just provided you with primary sourced contemporary news paper reports from Pollack's biography of Jeffries,these reports expressly state that both Jeffries and his trained carefully examined the wraps which were linen as stipulated by the referee Ed Graney and that the Chief Of Police examined the gloves.
    1.Fitz never touched the gloves until they put on his hands.
    2.Jeffries never asked to see them.That's both questions answered.

I have proved my case with verified references
    You have supplied jack ****!

You are just a compulsive liar who believes if he repeats a lie often enough it will become an established fact.
    News Flash . IT AIN'T SO!

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  13. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Can you imagine Jeffries at his peak losing to a washed up bum with the flu?

14. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Lets look at the timeline here:

Johnson first seems to have been discussed as a contender (albeit loosely), after he beat George Gardiner. It would be hard to argue that he was the standout contender, before he beat Denver Ed Martin for the Colored Heavyweight title. His subsequent wins over Sam McVea and Sandy Ferguson would have sealed his claim, because both were being talked about as potential opponents for Jeffries. His loss to Marvin Hart, would have knocked him out of the #1 contender spot. So here is the timeline of events:

25/07/02 Jeffries rematches Fitzsimmons

31/10/02 Johnson beats Gardiner

01/03/1903 Jeffries starts negotiations with Corbett for a rematch

06/03/1903 The date for Jeffries Corbett II is agreed for August, and both fighters start their preparations

05/02/1903 Johnson beats Martin

26/02/1903 Johnson beats Martin

16/04/1903 Johnson beats Ferguson

14/08/1903 Jeffries rematches Corbett

24/04/1904 Jeffries marries

26/08/1904 Jeffries defends against Munro

28/03/1905 Johnson looses to Hart

13/05/1905 Jeffries formally announces his retirement

So what do we make of all this:

Jeffries could not have fought Johnson before 1904, because he was already contracted to fight Corbett, when Johnson emerged as a serious challenger.

I personally think that Jeffries should have fought Johnson, based on Johnson's winning streak in 1903, but there was a very narrow window for it to happen.

It would pretty much have to have been on the date of the Munro fight.

After Johnson lost to Hart, he ceased to be the outstanding challenger, and this was the situation when Jeffries retired.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    bodhi likes this.
  15. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    You’re a real social butterfly Mac!