Does Prime Dempsey become undisputed heavyweight champ today?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BrutalForeman, May 1, 2017.

1. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    To believe that Jack Dempsey would triumph over the heavyweights of the past 25 years on the basis that he defeated Jess Willard is a belief built on flawed logic. The Potawatomi giant had been laid off for nearly four years and spent some of this time working at a rodeo. He was 37 years of age which was different than being 37 in this era. In 1919, 37 was positively ancient to be in a boxing ring and especially during a time when most people died at around 52. He had no amateur background. Grew up on a farm rather than on the streets. He won the title by battering a much smaller and grossly aged foe and taking some 26 rounds to complete the task. In addition, he fought in a horribly upright posture with no defense, telegraphed movements, practically non existent footwork. Easy pickings for a young fast handed destroyer to take apart. If Dempsey were to travel here in a time machine ( with all things being the same on his end ) and found himself standing before a prime Lennox Lewis, Wladimir Klitscko or Anthony Joshua he'd go into culture shock. Seeing a 6'6", 240 lb fit heavyweight with fluid movement, a stellar jab, good defense and forged through professional training a century beyond anything jack ever witnessed would place him well out of his league... now to be fair this is no knock on Dempsey. He was a magnificent fighter in his day who's skills and abilities were ahead of their time. He brought a type of attention to boxing that was never there before and even set a trend that would inspire future fighters.. but with all that being said, there are some scenarios that fighters should not be placed in and some matches that just can't or shouldn't be made....

Cecil, bodhi, JoffJoff and 2 others like this.
  2. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    He would struggle no doubt. There's a few giant sized, skilled heavy s around nowadays compared to jacks times. But he wouldn't be getting steamrolled by every tom , dick or Harry. Jack was smaller yes, but he had strength, speed and a in built radar for the slightest drop in defence or weakness. He would be up it against it a heck of a lot more obviously than the 20 s but he's bringing something to the table, that's a kill or be killed attitude. If any modern day heavy comes in expecting a easy fight with the smaller guy there in for a shock. The chances of him unifying the belts are against him but give Jack a chance and he'll go for it. Size of the heart in the dog.

3. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Here's the thing for me.

The fight against Willard, the way he performed in that doesn't give the opponent much opportunity to do anything else, he circled at range and then moved in for the kill after slipping a power shot.

That first round, any SHW who fights on the back foot would struggle to beat Dempsey. But how many times could he replicate that performance?

reznick likes this.
  4. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Then yes I could see him gaining the title. He's 6'1 which is taller than Haye and about the height of Chisora. They have no problems with heavyweights. Dempsey is a stronger fighter than both of them. SHWs would be committing suicide clinching, just look at those body punches that Dempsey hit Willard with in close.

5. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Great post.

6. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Just curious--why do you keep shrinking the modern fighters? Haye's not even 6'1? Kovalev is only 5'11?

mcvey likes this.
  7. Legend X

Legend X Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 18, 2005
    I think he'd do well. He could hurt any man, and was accurate and savage in his attack.
    The problem is, fighters like Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko, even Deontay Wilder, hit a lot faster and throw a lot more punches than the likes of Willard.

8. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    I use my eyes and gauge fighters next to other fighters. Kovalev is listed as 5'11 too. Modern fighters' heights are notoriously inaccurate. Its not just boxing that does it either. Every other sport does it too from high school to professional.

9. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I guess we are basically asking if he beats Joshua here.

Once he gets past that hurdle, the task becomes relatively straightforward, if the relevant fights can be signed.

At this point in time I think that he would beat Joshua.

10. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Right. Also, Boxiana has this notion that Willard didn't try punching Dempsey.
    He actually landed really good punches before and during the onslaught.
    Some versions of the fight have some close up angles of the action.
    In one of them you see Willard shooting Dempseys head up with an uppercut.

Yep, that's my concern too. A one off on these modern giants, no problem.
    But a sustained career at doing it? He is special, but it would serve him very well to add some weight for some extra durability.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  11. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Agree completely.

12. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    So Dempsey puts on a couple of pounds big deal...a lot easier than these chumps being able to go 15 rounds and get and stay in real shape..for sure...

13. JoffJoff

JoffJoff Regular Junkie Full Member

Jan 25, 2017
    I opened this thread expecting another joke like the Lewis/Tunney one earlier.

You guys who even consider giving him any chance whatsoever are lying to yourselves. A couple of posters who's opinions I valued and considered experts have exposed themselves in my eyes between this thread and the Marciano one as nostalgists happy in their echo chamber. I mean no disrespect but the answer to the thread seems so obvious I don't understand how regulars of this forum can't grasp it.

Jack Dempsey is a legend. His accomplishments speak for themselves. His aggression in the ring is perhaps unrivalled and he inspired generations of fighters.

The Classic section of this forum is great for sharing information and discussing past greats and even speculating how they would match up with fighters from different eras. I have no business really being in here telling you people anything about the sport you have all studied in far greater depth than I or have even competed or coached in yourselves, but even a novice like myself can see clearly that Dempsey would have close to 0% chance of becoming undisputed champion in 2017. The heavyweight division has evolved over the last century. The notion is so preposterous I don't even know where to begin so I will leave you gentlemen to it.

14. louis54

Mar 20, 2013
    Boxing has devolved not evolved....these oversized...chinless..non stamina oafs have in the last 30 years failed to throw a decent compact shot..slip a punch..much less slip and counter...Walcott would have been champ now for the last ten years...with Schelling and Sharkey schooling these doofs...thanks

Mr.DagoWop likes this.
  15. louis54

Mar 20, 2013
    It isn't that these guys are so bad...its just that many of the things that were able to be done years ago were very difficult to do and took a lot of time and a lot of experience to utilize...a lot of experience...if you have the talent