Does Ray Mercer get his respect?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Ricky42791, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Ricky42791

Ricky42791 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I was sick today so I watched a whole bunch of fights. I focused on Ray Mercer the guy didn't start boxing until he was 22 in the army wins the heavyweight gold medal in 88' in Seoul Korea when he was around 28 Turns pro a little before thirty and destroys Tommy Morrison, Beats Bert Cooper in a thrilling fight has very close wars with Holyfield and Lewis. I mean thats incredible! Has an ATG chin WBO and IBF heavyweight champion, SGT in the US amy and great power. He's a very inspiring guy for someone who got in the game so late! He made 90's heavyweight boxing very exiting. Thoughts on the guy?

2. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 18, 2011
    great thread. ray was a tough mother****er. no cutie, not a smooth boxer by any means but a fantastic ramrod jab, technically very sound with (as you noted) an all time great chin and terrific physical power.

he held holyfield (a pre-tyson version) to a very close decision and showed decent handspeed in that one. I felt he beat lewis and, amazingly, outjabbed him round after round. he could go through hell to get to the other man and was quite a bit smarter than expected. took a beating walking down morrison and got outsmarted and outjabbed by holmes (still haven't seen that one).

when he was on, he was a game fighter who was a near match for any fighter in the second best heavyweight era ever.

when he was off, he was reduced to bribing journeymen to fall

3. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I love me some Ray. A funny, funny guy in person.

Started late and was not always focussed in the pro's. I can't forgive his effort against Jesse Ferguson. That said, he rose to the occasion against Morrison, Holy and Lewis.

On any given night, he gives the best fits.

4. Ricky42791

Sep 8, 2011
    Expand on that please, what do you mean? whats the story behind that?

5. Nightcrawler

Dec 18, 2011
    no worries. he apparently tried to bribe jesse ferguson during a fight to take a dive. mercer had a shot at riddick bowe for the heavyweight title if he beat ferguson...once he realized he was losing he allegedly offered him $50 000 (?) to dive. ferguson said no, won the the fight and got the shot at bowe

i believe he got his **** pushed in and was KO'd in 2

6. LittleRed

LittleRed Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Apparently Mercer was getting his ass handed to him mostly because he didn't train. Attempted to offer his opponent money in exchange for going down the next round. Reason number 23 the '90's were the best heavyweight era ever.

Edit: ninja'd

7. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Correct; he was overheard on tape during a clinch trying to convince Ferguson to take a dive. He hadn't trained, Ferguson was taking it to him, and he went the low road. Hard for me to think highly of a guy like that.

8. Ricky42791

Sep 8, 2011
    Damn, thats crazy lol I remember Tyson destroyed Jesse Furgesons nose with his signature combo right hook to the body and right uppercut the the head thats one of my favorite Tyson fights.

9. Nightcrawler

Dec 18, 2011
    i get that :good never seen the fight myself, didn't know you could actually hear it

10. Ricky42791

Sep 8, 2011
    Great post and GIF lololol:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Boxed Ears likes this.
  11. energie

energie Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 8, 2012
    i always liked and respected ray mercer ..awsume power house ram rod jab/great chin/ just wished he trained more....we coulda seen bowe/mercer..they were supposed to fight it was a done deal but then a fatt ray mercer shows up to fight jesse ferguson(on the bowe/dokes undercard)....and gets drilled from pillar to post for 10 rds.... and bowe/mercer went down the drain.....he was in shape for damami/cooper/morrison/holy....then again mercerlooks like shitt fighting marion wilson gets beat on for 10 rds aby a little cruiserweight ...again because he didnt train...i thought mercer looked fatt against lewis at 236 lbs...body looked way better against holy at 224....hepatitis didnt help mercerrs career either...he sighned with don king fought lee liocono and then couldnt fight again cause of hepititus ..........RAY MECER ANOTHER WHAT IF???

12. Ricky42791

Sep 8, 2011
    I didnt know he lacked work eithic like that, that fight against damiami was so strange, he lost almost every round and then with a grazing uppercut knocks the guy out, or broke his nose at least

13. Absolutely!

Absolutely! Fabulous, darling! Full Member

Jul 8, 2010
    I was just going to mention that fight. Ray looked in very good shape and didn't seem to lack for gas, but Damiani was just outboxing the socks off him round after round. Bad night for Ray at the office or was Damiani just that good?

14. JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Took a great punch due to being a Homo Erectus.

15. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Pounchin powar calculateur Full Member

Sep 13, 2012
    I still wonder how he got knocked out by a light punch to the side of the head by Briggs. :huh

I like Mercer though, not so much his style as his determination ans willingness to fight the best.