Does Ray Mercer get his respect?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Ricky42791, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Squire

Squire Let's Go Champ Full Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Mercer was one of those guys that made the 90s a great era

2. Ricky42791

Ricky42791 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Holmes fought like a man possessed that night lol he had one last great performance in him. I think mercer was just so surprised at holmes spirited effort. I think he kept waiting for holmes to let up but he didnt the whole 12 rounds.

3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Having read this thread, I think Mercer's actually getting overrated.

4. DrMo

DrMo Team GB Full Member

Jan 29, 2011
    Holmes had lost his legs but was able to neutralise Mercer who gassed very quickly. Ray was in much better shape vs Damiani but was outboxed from range & outworked on the inside. Damiani definately landed a lot more damaging blows than Holmes did & on a more active Mercer.

Damiani was a good boxer, steady & well organised he had a very good amatuer career. I saw him at a WSB match in November & had a little chat, he's a really nice guy.

This content is protected

5. AnthonyJ74

AnthonyJ74 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 26, 2007
    I would have liked to have seen Damiani vs. Holmes instead of Holmes vs. Mercer. I think Damiani would have been a tougher fight.

6. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Jesse Ferguson, as well proving to have an edge over Ray Mercer head-to-head, also gave old Larry Holmes a tougher fight than Ray Mercer did.

7. Theron

Theron Boxing Addict banned

Sep 2, 2012
    Haha Wlads little smile and Wepner just looks like he has no idea what the **** is happening :lol:, which fight is this form >?

Boxed Ears likes this.
  8. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Mercer gets more than enough respect.

A brilliant chin and very respectable power is enough to get you very highly rated in any era of the Heavyweights.

After he lost his '0', Mercer cornered the market in putting together brave defeats and shockingly inept performances over journeyman.

As an unbeaten fighter, Mercer made the most of his two assets as shown against 'The Duke', but that still meant almost blowing a fight with Damiani and having to struggle to beat Smokin' Bert. It also meant he was totally befuddled by a Holmes in his early 40s, without win over a world class fighter for seven years.

9. MadcapMaxie

MadcapMaxie Guest

This basically.

He will be immortalised by his slugfest with Cooper, how he came back to destroy the Duke and how close he came to dethroning Lewis.

10. Absolutely!

Absolutely! Fabulous, darling! Full Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Yeah I think he did. Damiani had top class all round skills. Deceptively good boxer.

11. Vantage_West

Vantage_West ヒップホップ·プロデューサー Full Member

Jul 11, 2006
    [yt]cZFgOaVSoKs[/yt]

loved this when this happened...mma couldnt have looked any worse

12. AnthonyJ74

AnthonyJ74 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 26, 2007
    But then you'd have to post James Toney getting embarrased by Randy Couture the following year.
    Or even Ray Mercer getting choked out by a glorified street fighter.

13. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Thanks to JohnnyNawiedzony who uploaded these fights to youtube

This is the allegedly 'out-of-shape unfocussed' Mercer losing to Ferguson :

[yt]wkJZkwGNK94[/yt]

This is the in-shape motivated Mercer out for revenge (personally I can't see much difference, he still struggles with Jesse, imo) :

[yt]SEBBJAc_qB8[/yt]

This is a decidely out-of-shape Mercer v Wilson :

[yt]_wMkYbTtZnw[/yt]

All three are good entertaining fights. :good
    Mercer certainly deserves respect. He was a tough tough guy.
    As were Wilson and Ferguson, who actually probably get far less respect than they deserve.

14. Curtis Lowe

Curtis Lowe Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 19, 2006
    If Mercer would have has a better work ethic he would have one the top 5 heavys of his era. Unfortunately Ray was lazy and unmotivated.

His fights with Cooper, Morrison, Lewis and Holyfield were awesome.

His fights with Holmes and Ferguson (whom he did not match up with well) were pathetic.

He shamed himself and the sport of boxing when he quit 24 seconds into a fight with a K-2 fighter and then by losing to Kimbo Slice.

He redeemed himself with the 9 second KO of the MMA dumbass, Tim Sylvia.

Ray was a tough guy, with some success but could have been so much more.

15. lora

lora Fighting Zapata Full Member

Feb 17, 2010
    As an all-round fighter- even by heavy standards where chin and power can mean more when allied to a bland one-two, or simple hooking style- he was dire.