Does Spence even deserve credit if he destroys Mikey?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IsaL, Mar 11, 2019.

1. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Bro, we all saw the Porter-Brook fight. It was extremely close.

Thurman is more accomplished than Kell Brook, period.

2. Bustajay

Bustajay Feel the Steel/Balls Deep Full Member

Dec 9, 2012
    :hang
    WOW...Of course Special K beats up everyone Garcia has faced because he is a giant compared to them:duh guys

So how many belts in different divisions did Special K hold????

3. Alo2006

Alo2006 R.I.P Sean Taylor Full Member

Jun 28, 2006
    If it's one sided and he KO Garcia, yes. If it goes to a decision with Garcia holding his own all throughout the fight, no. Of course haters going to try and not give Spence credit, saying he was the bigger guy, he was suppose to win.

4. MrTombourineMan

MrTombourineMan Торрейра хорошо. Full Member

Apr 16, 2016
    If he systematically out boxes Mikey en route to a stoppage, then yes.

If he just walks through him, bullying his way to a win, then no.

5. Work the body

Work the body Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 5, 2015
    I’m not a fan of fighters jumping multiple weight classes. Fair play to him for trying but I just think it’s a bit unnecessary for
    Garcia to be doing this. The size difference is too much. I think Spence stops him around the 8th round.

6. dangerousity

dangerousity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2005
    In the context of judging their ability to compete with each other. Looking at their resume alone, and if you had to guess who wins this fight, forget the size factor. The fact that Garcia’s best win is broner whom he couldn’t hurt and Spence best win is brooks says enough about who would win between the 2.

Broner is also a 4 weight world champ yet people were so quick to dismiss that.

Garcia’s best win is broner ffs. How is this not an issue? His resume is almost as weak as broner. They’re good fighters but they don’t have any wins that makes you stand up and take notice.

7. dangerousity

dangerousity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2005
    That’s irrelevant to the conversation. We’re judging Spence and Garcia’s ability based on who they beat and their ability to compete with each other at WW not FW.

So we look at Spence best win, and we look at Garcia’s best win. Now had Garcia beaten a Crawford or a Loma or a gamboa at LW then I could see the argument, I could see his skills scaling to WW to beat a man good enough to beat “special K”. However, his best win is broner whom he struggled with.

And broner won more titles than kell brooks so I don’t see that argument.

8. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    what separates good analysis from safe repetition of basic assumptions, is the ability to analyze beyond that. boxing is not a bet on either black or red in every situation. you should be able to analyze who the fighters were, how they performed, what the circumstances were. then you have a higher level of analysis, where you consider technique, tendencies, histories, etc... then you have a higher level, where you consider stage of development, fight strategy, training methods, political influences, effects of crowd partisanship, etc...
    ultimately, the quality of the analysis, comes down to results. we are set to find out tomorrow, who can see the furthest.

Bustajay likes this.
  9. kartog

kartog Agent Smith Full Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Of course Errol deserves credit, especially from people who are saying they wouldn't be surprised if Mikey pulls it off.

PunchersChance. likes this.
  10. kartog

kartog Agent Smith Full Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Sorry but I just can't stop laughing.........

....even matchmakers cannot correctly predict the result of each fight.

These guys are paid to do exactly that, by promoters. Imagine that. Scamming the scammers, and even they couldn't get it right everytime. Good luck:meparto:

11. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    It would be far more impressive than Loma beating rigo

12. "TKO"

"TKO" Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I think it depends what Mikey does at welter in future. If he goes on to be a champ there then yes absolutely. If, as is more likely, he hot foots it back down to lightweight never to be seen at 147 again then limited.

As others have said also, if he outboxes and breaks down Mikey (unlikely), that would do him more good than just steamrollering him.

As regards the comments about their resumes/best wins, Brook is a very good win yes, but there's a hell of a gulf between him and anything else on Errol's resume. His second best win is who? Algieri, a non punching junior welter coming off two losses in his last three who is now back at 140? Lamont Peterson? And you could make the argument that Brook himself was damaged goods after the GGG fight. Not to mention that Brook himself had a total of one really noteworthy win, admittedly though that fact doesn't do justice to his talent.

Mikey's record is better than it's given credit for, Zlaticinin, Easter and Lipinets were all unbeaten world champions and the likes of Salido, Lopez, Barros, Martinez and Broner all proven world class fighters. He is the fighter who is proven at the higher level IMO.

13. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Manny Pacquiao — The Thurmanator banned Full Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Broner beat Pacquiao!

:D

14. Payback87

Payback87 Active Member Full Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Garcia lacked power at 140 let alone at 147. How many times he fought at 147 then - 0. All his fights against b rated fighters at 140 went the distance without k.o or k.d even.

Mikey is also quite fragile guy with shaky chin. While he is probably the best at 135 and has size advantage and power advantage over Loma at the same time he isnt top 3 fighter at 140 and 147 due to sheer size. Very skilled fighter but too small to dominate 140 and 147.

15. The Akbar One

The Akbar One Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 1, 2007
    For Spence to get credit, Mikey will have to go on and beat some good welters, same way Rigondeaux would of had to go on and beat some good 130 pounders for Loma to get credit. This fight doesn't do **** for Spence but get him a nice pay day.

GK BOX likes this.