Does 'Textbook boxing' limit creativity and can only take a fighter so far?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by GPater11093, Nov 9, 2010.

1. ripcity

ripcity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    I think it can take you far but only so far. I think you have to have some ace up your sleve to be a truly great boxer. Joe Louis might be the best textbook boxer ever. He also was one of the best punchers of all time. Without that power I don't think he would have been as great as he was.

2. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010

Yea, but you know, theres one thing im really curious about with Louis' style, and Im wondering if anyone else noticed this.

But Louis rarely moves his upper body to the right. It seems as the he will either dodge punches by ducking to his left, weaving, blocking or using the parry.

On a sidenote: I learned how to parry jabs with my lead hand from Louis

3. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    By the way Pater, I was wondering if you saw that Tyson interview I posted here earlier.

He talks about how all the boxing knowledge in America came from Europeans. He said all the styles and knowledge in the late 19th century were taught by European Jews I believe he said. So are we all just boxing off of the evolution of one particular style of boxing?

4. Yeah I agree it does limit creativity and it depends on the practitioner how far he can go with it. Someone like Wlad is very successful sticking the textbook.

As far as I know it, 'Textbook Fighting' describes a Boxer who only adheres to textbook principles while disregarding personal imagination and creative intuition. It's not been taken away by sticking to the principles, more they just choose to disregard it. Hence someone who sticks to textbook.

There are plenty of fighters with solid fundamentals with creativitiy and imagination. Etc. Oscar De La Hoya, Lewis, Larry Holmes, Muhammad Ali.

5. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    That is a good saying, however, the textbook is basically a guideline in how to deal with things in boxing. So in theory sticking to it strictly, should give you 100% efficiency and 0% failure, however, as you say men are fallible and they cannot stick to it 100% of the time, a post further down mentions that you need all good attributes to make the most of the textbook, so perhaps it is written for ideal situations, in a sort of theory over practise way.

That is completely true. They would be entirely different.

But do you not think if you tightened up Marciano's hand positioning and developed a more refined jab it would not have improved him?

Or if you tightened up Ali's hand positioning?

To be entirely honest though, these guys knew the basics and used them quite well. Ali, for example, would lift his right hand up high when he jabbed and the way he held his form whilst jabbing was near textbook IMO.

Could it not be argued that with all them attributes, whatever style a fighter chose he would be successful?

Also could it not be argued that most unique styles are created by fighters to maximise there strengths, and not to minimize there weaknesses as you seem to think?

I agree with this mostly.

I think a fairly low left hand can be acceptable if the fighter is using it as a lure/feint or wanting to change the angle of his jab.. Standing with it just low and without turning in the shoulder is just dumb.

Good post, I will definitely need to take a look at Schmeling.

Your getting very close to the point I want to make.

Thing is with these guys, they still had a very sound understanding of the textbook.

Good analogy.

:good

They do all have that artistry but they have the fundamentals really down that allows them to that IMO.

Exactly the same as me there.

Will check it out.

Good post, but I think a fighter can still follow the text book and keep creative freedom.

6. GPater11093

Nov 10, 2008
    Right as soon as I made this thread I just thought of Harold Johnson, and specifically his bout with Ezzard Charles. Even Charles is very sound fundamentally but I focussed on Johnson.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGEaBuH5ywY&feature=related[/ame]

To me, Johnson is pretty much straight out of the textbook but still applies his own creativity whilst staying in the parameters of the textbook, as most greats do. He understands the guidelines set out and adapts them and makes them his own, although he does not do it in as such a drastic way as others.

During the fight Johnson shows a lot of creativity and adaptation in his game, so I will go through bits of it.

In the first round Johnson begins throwing a long left jab looking for Charles to react to it, when he does he quickly changes that jab into a left hook counter, countering, and quelling, whatever Charles did in reaction to that jab.

In the second Johnson begins to dispense of the left jab and throws feints looking to catch Charles out then steps forward with counter left hooks and right hands as Charles looks to do something, similar to the hooking off the jab but just taken it the step further. Charles begins to catch onto this and begins to feint himself and take Johnson out of his rhythm and he does so successfully, so Johnson just gets back behind his jab and looks to figure out a new game plan, and keeps this going as he sees it is working, he just keeps Charles busy behind his own left jab, this is part of a stylistic weakness he has though, as Johnson is often too reliant on his left hand.

In the fifth Johnson does some superb creative moves with his left jab and they have to be seen. At one point he slides backwards and to his right and as Charles advances he quickly sidesteps left and opens up Charles for the jab, he then pops the left jab and slides away. This stopped Johnson getting predictable with his left jab as he used feints and angle work like this to change up his jab and keep Charles thinking.

In the sixth Johnson again dispenses of the jab, turning it into a feint to land the hard left hook and right hand counters. Charles really does a smart move, tactically in the next round, which I have to say, with Johnson set to counter Charles begins to feint, and Johnson is almost a sitting duck as he is set to counter but there is nothing too counter because of the feints, this then allows Charles to dart in with a fast shot then get out before Johnson can do anything.

In the ninth Johnson again changes it up by moving to his left as he jabs. However, he plays some really coy tricks as every so often he moves his foot to the left signalling he is away to jab and move to his left but then he brings his left foot back inside Charles and throws the left hook. Catching out Charles as he is anticipating the left jab, this is forcing Johnson's opponent to change angle for the benefit of Johnson, now that is textbook genius.

Basically to sum up my thoughts. I think the textbook is important to every great fighter, it is the basis for everything they do, even the unorthodox one's like Roy Jones Jr, however, it is the way that they adapt, or interpret the textbook which makes them wholly efficient, they learn the words (the textbook skills) but it is the way the individual learns the grammar (applies the skills) that matter.

7. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Solid posts there, Greg.

I was thinking about this after my sparring sessions earlier today. The first guy I sparred with is a really slick counter puncher, with excellent timing and reflexes. But he keeps his hands low and leans his head back, and these things are there to be exploited.

The last guy I sparred (the trainer) also keeps his hands low and are prone to leaning back. This I have also been able to exploit just about every time we've sparred.

So we have two skillful guys, more experienced than I, and both left openings, due to flawed defence, that I would have made them pay dearly for in a match (they could probably say similar things about me, but still...).

And this has been the case every time in my experience. Guys with these flaws are there to be taken advantage of. Often they will get away with them due to being bigger and/or more skilled, but if they meet someone who's their equal in these departments they will be made to pay.

8. MAG1965

MAG1965 VIP Member banned

Dec 1, 2008
    It works most of the time, then you have SRL who has speed and everything else and guys like Hearns who have reach and can punch. Against those guys a good text book guy will lose.

9. Briscoe

Briscoe Active Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Boxing is art and science. It's a yin-yang deal. We've seen guys that are total scientists and dismantle the opposition like a robot, and the foil is usually the artist. The artist is usually just that, artistry in movement. The split second reflexes of men like Ali and Whitacre is breath taking. Same goes for Pep and Locche. The science of the Klitschko's is amazing (more specifically Wladmir) in how they breakdown opponents using a very calculated fighting style that maximizes all their advantages.

Now, there's also a hybrid example of the artist and scientist. Mike Tyson (early on) had incredible amounts of the science tweaked to an excellent degree, but he also had a very dark brooding artistry coupled with that. Once he stopped respecting his scientific options in the ring, he became a relatively bad artist.

Meldrick Taylor was more art than science. If he could have accomplished melding the two, or being a little more scientific he would have easily outboxed Chavez to an embarrassing victory. Yet his flair for ring artistry hampered him, and ultimately proved a giant factor in losing the match.

10. GPater11093

Nov 10, 2008
    Thanks.

That is when low hands are a problem when they actually are a flaw, they can be made for the positive in some situations.

Exactly, and most great fighters have these fundamentals that they can fall back on.

I would say Ray Leonard is fairly textbook.

11. di tullio

di tullio Guest

If you're boxing purely textbook, you're not using 100% of your resources.

12. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I've seen it so many times on film...that uppercut that Schmeling used that set up Louis for that final coup-de-grace right hand. That uppercut was devastating..I think Louis may have gone down just from it, without the final right.

13. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    A mix of textbook and creativity is the ideal.

14. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    In my (relatively limited experience), I've seen no pros with low hands. I used to leave my left low 'cause it thought it made me looser, but a trainer told me to lay-off that (especially against taller opponents, who really make you pay for it) and I've noticed zero set backs of keeping it higher.

On the other hand, I always feel that guys I spar with who keep a low guard really makes it easier for me.

Yes, if you're very skilled you can lower your left on occassion to draw a right from your opponent and then counter, but a consistent low left won't help you as much with this as the surprise factor soon will be gone.

15. GPater11093

Nov 10, 2008
    I think as long as the shoulder is tucked in, a low left aint a major problem.